1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

August 29th, 2019 at 2:54:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This year there has been a lot of talk about the Central Park 5 and the "mischarge of justice" and how they were rightfully exonerated (they were not, their convictions were vacated). This has been spurred on by the Netflix series that loosely characterizes the events of that night. Their convictions were vacated after DNA evidence corroborated a serial rapist (who is certainly guilty), but claimed to be the sole person to rape the jogger, the inmate who confessed was confined in the same facility as some of the Central Park 5, and has a history of being coerced by them to do things.

However, putting aside the possibility that multiple other people could have raped the jogger, they (Central Park 5) were charged with multiple other violent crimes, which they almost certainly committed, Assault, Robbery, Battery, Rioting. Even if the claim regarding the rape is true, it only clears their name of one alleged crime (but the judge decided to vacate all charges, politically charged action in my view), they were also removed from the sex offender registry.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/when-they-see-us/

My current opinion (which is open to change), is that they are almost certainly guilty of assault, battery, robbery, rioting, and general thuggery. This is not an opinion I have always had, most of my adult life I just took the socially liberal position that the vacated convictions were a sign of racist political pressure and that they were innocent. However the more I read about history of the case, it is clear that they were behaving very aggressively, and certainly were not model citizens. I am not sure if they were guilty of rape, their confessions do seem to indicate they at least sexually assaulted her.

I decided to make this a poll to easily vote on your current views. Does anyone have any thoughts on this case? It seems like this forum could have a wide variety of views on this case and I am curious if anyone shares my views (or opposes)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJnPCzCbndY

It seems a consistent casualty in this case is those on the prosecution side, especially this year, who are being pressured out of their jobs.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48637219
August 29th, 2019 at 3:16:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

My current opinion (which is open to change), is that they are almost certainly guilty of assault, battery, robbery, rioting, and general thuggery. This is not an opinion I have always had, most of my adult life I just took the socially liberal position that the vacated convictions were a sign of racist political pressure and that they were innocent. However the more I read about history of the case, it is clear that they were behaving very aggressively, and certainly were not model citizens. I am not sure if they were guilty of rape, their confessions do seem to indicate they at least sexually assaulted her.

Anyone who knew NYC at the time knows how awful it was. Any group of 5 youths in Central Park at night was up to no good, period. I do have to say that I have not read anything about the case since when it happened. Why were these 5 picked up? Why would the cops chose them to frame? Had to be some reason.
The President is a fink.
August 29th, 2019 at 3:41:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
Anyone who knew NYC at the time knows how awful it was. Any group of 5 youths in Central Park at night was up to no good, period. I do have to say that I have not read anything about the case since when it happened. Why were these 5 picked up? Why would the cops chose them to frame? Had to be some reason.

Most were arrested at the park in night for all of the attacks and robberies, I believe all 5 were arrested (along with many others) several hours before the victim was found. Which goes back to the point that they were all certainly guilty of battery and robbery, even if they all were not directly connected to the rape (which is the aspect of the case most people focus on, not also the rampant robberies and assaults happening around the park).
August 29th, 2019 at 3:54:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Most were arrested at the park in night for all of the attacks and robberies, I believe all 5 were arrested (along with many others) several hours before the victim was found. Which goes back to the point that they were all certainly guilty of battery and robbery, even if they all were not directly connected to the rape (which is the aspect of the case most people focus on, not also the rampant robberies and assaults happening around the park).

They focus on the rape, but the focus was there because of the unsafe state of the park. It was a case of having had enough.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2019 at 8:52:24 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
They focus on the rape, but the focus was there because of the unsafe state of the park. It was a case of having had enough.

Why shouldn't the charges be vacated - after all, that is what happens to SWAMP elites - they commit crimes that you and I would be in jail for yet skate through as if nothing happened
August 30th, 2019 at 4:05:34 PM permalink
Gandler

I agree, and I actually mostly agree with Trump's op-ed (not something most liberals admit). NYC allowed unsafe conditions to thrive and people had enough.....

I am against the death penalty on principle so I disagree with that aspect of the op-ed.
August 30th, 2019 at 4:16:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I agree, and I actually mostly agree with Trump's op-ed (not something most liberals admit). NYC allowed unsafe conditions to thrive and people had enough.....

I am against the death penalty on principle so I disagree with that aspect of the op-ed.

I never read the oped. But the jogger and Goetz were both flashpoints in nyc 1980s history. Lefties were against Goetz. Said the kids just asked for $5. Everyone who rode the subway knew what it was for a group of black kids to surround a white guy like that. The jogger just built in the same theme. An out of control city where an elite sided with the perps.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2019 at 4:20:58 PM permalink
Gandler
I never read the oped. But the jogger and Goetz were both flashpoints in nyc 1980s history. Lefties were against Goetz. Said the kids just asked for $5. Everyone who rode the subway knew what it was for a group of black kids to surround a white guy like that. The jogger just built in the same theme. An out of control city where an elite sided with the perps.

Yeah I am pretty disappointed that de Blaisio encouraged the city to settle the case (a case that they could have easily won). That was pure political posturing, like you said, it is easier for the elites to pander to the mob.

That is one thing I respect about Trump, he does not care about being popular (which in turn ends up making him more popular). He still sticks to his guns on this case, which I have to respect.
August 30th, 2019 at 7:58:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Yeah I am pretty disappointed that de Blaisio encouraged the city to settle the case (a case that they could have easily won). That was pure political posturing, like you said, it is easier for the elites to pander to the mob.

That is one thing I respect about Trump, he does not care about being popular (which in turn ends up making him more popular). He still sticks to his guns on this case, which I have to respect.

Your age is not listed so I do not know if you remember the 1970s. NYC subways were covered in graffiti and were just awful. The Transit Authority was not even trying to keep them clean. A few years back some upper crust lefties were talking about how "romantic" that time was. They of course did not have to deal with it all.

"Romantic." Nothing was as bad as NYC at the time. Even Detroit today is probably not as bad overall. Gary, IN would be close but it is more of a ghost town disaster than what NYC was as NYC kept level population. I see NYC, SF, and most of the rest of the CA coast going down the same path. We do not have the violence of the 1960s as a backdrop so it is "quieter" today. But it is coming.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2019 at 8:53:27 AM permalink
Gandler
Your age is not listed so I do not know if you remember the 1970s. NYC subways were covered in graffiti and were just awful. The Transit Authority was not even trying to keep them clean. A few years back some upper crust lefties were talking about how "romantic" that time was. They of course did not have to deal with it all.

"Romantic." Nothing was as bad as NYC at the time. Even Detroit today is probably not as bad overall. Gary, IN would be close but it is more of a ghost town disaster than what NYC was as NYC kept level population. I see NYC, SF, and most of the rest of the CA coast going down the same path. We do not have the violence of the 1960s as a backdrop so it is "quieter" today. But it is coming.

No, I was born in 1990, so that is before my time. But, I beleive you, many people who romanticize time periods never experienced any time actually on the ground in that place and time.

I just watched the Larry Elder interview with the detective, and it was interesting.

https://youtu.be/hwRQztpF6qU