The DASH study. Salt and Hypertension

Page 3 of 4<1234>
September 26th, 2019 at 2:32:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Shrek
So a guy who smokes pot every day is worried that sugar is gonna hurt him? lol

DR. here. There is NO DOUBT that overuse of sugar and resultant obesity/diabetes is worse for you than recreational marijuana use. I'm sure the government has stats on costs to society of both, and I'd say 'sugar' is logarithmically more costly to society.
September 26th, 2019 at 2:44:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
DR. here. There is NO DOUBT that overuse of sugar and resultant obesity/diabetes is worse for you than recreational marijuana use. I'm sure the government has stats on costs to society of both, and I'd say 'sugar' is logarithmically more costly to society.

Thanks Soopoo
My Dr has been reading me the riot act on sugar
Hmm
Wonder is Shrek is a fat diabetic. Would not surprise me since he does not worry about sugar.
Sugar is pretty bad Shrek. Just ask EB
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 26th, 2019 at 2:51:19 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
I recently had occasion to visit a Cardiologist and his staff printed out twelve pages of utter nonsense unsupported by any evidence at all.

For decades every clinician, researcher and journal editor has spouted this 'conventional wisdom' that an excess consumption of salt is the cause of hypertension.. This is mere opinion, there is no proof and there is considerable evidence of its falsity.

.....In one study, twelve percent of hypertensives improved with increased salt. That is a strange result for a substance that is supposed to be causative.

Why do quacks lie to me?

As I recall, those 'quacks' saved your life.

I’m guessing that study, if it actually happened, involved sixteen healthy subjects over a period of three months.

The earliest comment relating salt intake and blood pressure was written in 2600 BC.

Studies over the past seventy years prove over and over, the relationship between high salt intake and high blood pressure.

10,079 subjects aged 20-59 sampled from 52 centers around the world,....

“The study demonstrated a significant positive relationship between salt intake and BP in individual subjects within centers.”

It gets worse as we age, because the kidneys become less efficient at regulating sodium and water, and we retain more of both.

Many more studies mentioned here: Dietary Salt Intake and Hypertension
September 26th, 2019 at 2:52:02 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO

This guy's more than just a casual "recreational" user. Can't you tell by his posts?? lol

Since I have him blocked I only see posts from him that other people quote, but the ones I've seen always looked a little "off" to me. But now I know why. Smoking pot every day is his biggest problem. It's like those fat people who eat 5 Big Macs but then they order a diet coke because they're watching their weight. 😂
September 26th, 2019 at 2:57:45 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Fleastiff
You may have 190/130 but it ain't due to the salt.

I would put the smoking and drinking ahead of the salt, but nothing I do is condusive to being healthy.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 26th, 2019 at 8:09:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Todays consumption of salt
ketchup = 640 mg (usually would be Picante at 500 mg).
Beans = 1,190 mg
MoW = unknown and unavailable.
water = unknown

Worse than I thought. By far.
September 27th, 2019 at 2:41:47 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
I love salt and put it on everything, hence my systolic of 190 and my diastolic of 130. I won't change how I eat but I still occassionally take my Lisinopril 40mg pills.

I only have one kidney and my nephrologist has pretty much accepted my demise.

People don’t always die from strokes or dissected aortas. You could be left paralyzed, blind, and unable to speak.
September 27th, 2019 at 7:16:57 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Tanko
People don’t always die from strokes or dissected aortas. You could be left paralyzed, blind, and unable to speak.

I will not lie, that is my biggest concern. If a stroke doesn't kill me I just hope I have enough faculties to off myself. I have already prepared my wife that she may have to help me facilitate this.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 27th, 2019 at 8:25:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I will not lie, that is my biggest concern. If a stroke doesn't kill me I just hope I have enough faculties to off myself. I have already prepared my wife that she may have to help me facilitate this.

Can't agree more. I want to go in good health, not linger on and on. If I get cancer I think I would skip treatment and break bad for my remaining days.
The President is a fink.
September 27th, 2019 at 9:13:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
it is a terrible ordeal to see those you want to kill die before you can do it.
Page 3 of 4<1234>