Hospital fees rant

Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »
September 27th, 2019 at 1:27:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
The problem to me appears to be with your insurance. If I had the same days worth of tests and stuff I think I’m limited to a co pay of $150. I am always amazed at how little I end up paying out of pocket.
September 27th, 2019 at 4:55:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
The problem to me appears to be with your insurance.
My thoughts exactly. You rich guys can afford better coverage though I admit sometimes the hospital wants to see cold hard cash in their grubby hands before they even read your insurance policy's large print, much less its fine print.
September 27th, 2019 at 5:06:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
My thoughts exactly. You rich guys can afford better coverage though I admit sometimes the hospital wants to see cold hard cash in their grubby hands before they even read your insurance policy's large print, much less its fine print.

This 'rich guy' has the exact same coverage as every nurse, technician, phlebotomist, housekeeper, etc... that my hospital has on staff. I can absolutely assure you that I have taken care of HUNDREDS of patients who had no insurance, and eventually received ZERO payment from most of them.

"see cold hard cash in their grubby hands"

You expect a business to do work for you and not get paid? Best Buy wouldn't give me the TV until they could see "cold hard cash in their grubby hands"
My lawyer wouldn't talk to me until.....
Wegmans wouldn't let me take out the groceries until....

I mean really..... what other service valued in the thousands would you expect the business owner to not be relatively sure you could pay before performing that service!!!!
September 27th, 2019 at 8:18:34 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
This 'rich guy' has the exact same coverage as every nurse, technician, phlebotomist, housekeeper, etc... that my hospital has on staff. I can absolutely assure you that I have taken care of HUNDREDS of patients who had no insurance, and eventually received ZERO payment from most of them.

You expect a business to do work for you and not get paid? Best Buy wouldn't give me the TV until they could see "cold hard cash in their grubby hands"

I mean really..... what other service valued in the thousands would you expect the business owner to not be relatively sure you could pay before performing that service!!!!

I’m not sure how fair it is to compare lifesaving medical care to a flatscreen at bestbuy.

Should EMT’s make sure the patients credit card swipes before loading them on a stretcher?

At what point do you think hospitals should be able to deny care due to inability to pay?
September 27th, 2019 at 10:17:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Someone has to pay for the people with no coverage.

That someone is the people WITH coverage.

Whether or not you notice it has more to do with your co-pays that the amount that they are charging you.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 28th, 2019 at 3:18:07 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: gamerfreak
I’m not sure how fair it is to compare lifesaving medical care to a flatscreen at bestbuy.

Should EMT’s make sure the patients credit card swipes before loading them on a stretcher?

At what point do you think hospitals should be able to deny care due to inability to pay?

I have read that in Canada healthcare is free but the caveat is that they pay higher taxes than the U.S. They also don't pay taxes on Gambling wins. I guess it's because of once again, the higher taxes....;)
September 28th, 2019 at 4:01:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Canada has high hoops and long lines before you can jump thru them. They also use equipment ALL the time, nothing lies fallow. They also have a safety valve: Medical Tourism.
September 28th, 2019 at 11:14:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I agree with SOOPOO. I think it should be each individuals choice whether they are willing to work for free. I don't think there should be any obligation to save someone. Let's face it, hundreds f thousands of people die each day and another hundred thousand are born. Why do we worry about individual lives?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 28th, 2019 at 12:13:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
... Why do we worry about individual lives?
We don't. We do mental gymnastics to try and erect barriers between now and what is our eventual demise. The rest is theater. We may pick a small group [family] to "care" about harder, but when it really comes down to it, I think most people are secretly glad when it wasn't their time to go.

And even when we suffer remorse about the loss of a "loved" one, the real reason is because of how it affects us.

Funerals are for the living.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 28th, 2019 at 1:20:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: DRich
I don't think there should be any obligation to save someone. Let's face it, hundreds f thousands of people die each day and another hundred thousand are born. Why do we worry about individual lives?

If the handicap cost more than they can contribute can we let them die if no one wants to pay.

How about old people who’ve used up their personal wealth and live the rest of their lives at the pleasure of the state.

How about young people who get severely disabled before they have enough money for adequate insurance?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »