Columbus Day or Indiginous People'd Day?

Page 1 of 91234>Last »
October 14th, 2019 at 5:53:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
It seems like every year for the last several years on this day there is large debate around Columbus Day.

Is Columbus Day a good holiday or should it be abolished?

Some people claim that Columbus Day is disrespectful to Natives who suffered from his actions. Some people say he behaved normal for his time. Some people just like the holiday.
October 14th, 2019 at 6:41:07 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I don’t even get the day off work, so I just call it Monday.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 14th, 2019 at 6:47:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: ams288
I don’t even get the day off work, so I just call it Monday.

Neither do I, they actually switched it from Columbus Day to Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving) to make that a 4 day weekend....

But, it is still a Federal Holiday.
October 14th, 2019 at 6:57:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
"Fresh off the Boat Day"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 14th, 2019 at 7:06:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Columbus day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2019 at 4:10:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Columbus Day.

Great Day.

I was in college in 1992, 500th anniversary. Was scary how indoctrinated some of the students were to hating him even then. One woman acted as if he intentionally brought smallpox and other Euro diseases over because he was bored.

Had another professor that said he was "lost." Lucky then I could not articulate it as I could now. He was not "lost" as he easily found his way home. He is probably one of the most important persons in history for while others might have been by before, his trip caused the Age of Exploration and Discovery. Yes, the Indians "were here already." But nobody had known that both sides existed.

The Europeans were bound to make the crossing first. It is doubtful the Indians would have done blue-ocean sailing in even the next 200 years, if ever. Asia was not going to go west-to-east in a century. And Africa would today still be primitive if not for colonization.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2019 at 5:30:31 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
"One of Columbus’ men, Bartolome De Las Casas, was so mortified by Columbus’ brutal atrocities against the native peoples, that he quit working for Columbus and became a Catholic priest. He described how the Spaniards under Columbus’ command cut off the legs of children who ran from them, to test the sharpness of their blades. According to De Las Casas, the men made bets as to who, with one sweep of his sword, could cut a person in half. He says that Columbus’ men poured people full of boiling soap. In a single day, De Las Casas was an eye witness as the Spanish soldiers dismembered, beheaded, or raped 3000 native people. “Such inhumanities and barbarisms were committed in my sight as no age can parallel,” De Las Casas wrote. “My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that now I tremble as I write.”

Columbus

"How much damage, how many calamities, disruptions and devastations of kingdoms have there been? How many souls have perished in the West Indies over the years and how unjustly? How many unforgivable sins have been committed? ...... What we committed in the West Indies stands out among the most unpardonable offenses ever committed against God and mankind...."

Bartolome de Las Casas—Spanish priest and compatriot of Christopher Columbus

"Pedro de Cordoba in a letter to King Ferdinand wrote in 1517, As a result of the sufferings and hard labor they endured, the Indians choose and have chosen suicide.....Many when pregnant, have taken something to abort and have aborted. Others after delivery have killed their children with their own hands, so as not to leave them in such oppressive slavery."

"Estimates of the Native population of Haiti in 1492 range up to 8 million people. In 1496, according to the results of a Spanish census, the Native populace had dropped to approximately 3 million. By 1516 only 12,000 remained. In 1542, 200 remained alive. By 1555, nearly all 8 million were gone."

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/40/183.html
October 15th, 2019 at 6:05:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
"One of Columbus’ men, Bartolome De Las Casas, was so mortified by Columbus’ brutal atrocities against the native peoples, that he quit working for Columbus and became a Catholic priest. He described how the Spaniards under Columbus’ command cut off the legs of children who ran from them, to test the sharpness of their blades. According to De Las Casas, the men made bets as to who, with one sweep of his sword, could cut a person in half. He says that Columbus’ men poured people full of boiling soap. In a single day, De Las Casas was an eye witness as the Spanish soldiers dismembered, beheaded, or raped 3000 native people. “Such inhumanities and barbarisms were committed in my sight as no age can parallel,” De Las Casas wrote. “My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature that now I tremble as I write.”

WOW, that is almost as bad as what the Indians did to each other in tribal wars. Or Asian nations that invaded each other.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2019 at 8:39:44 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
WOW, that is almost as bad as what the Indians did to each other in tribal wars. Or Asian nations that invaded each other.

Unfortunately the Americas were a land of conquest where many tribes already "committed genocide" on countless tribes to take the land from others. It was not some peaceful hippy land.

The Spanish did some messed up things. But, the Aztec did many more (long before they landed)..... And, so did countless other tribes.

https://youtu.be/H1y_0NfhF9c

I love this clip. It sums up the the hypocrisy of Natives (and many of the tribes in Latin Americans were far worse)....
October 15th, 2019 at 8:55:49 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Gandler
It seems like every year for the last several years on this day there is large debate around Columbus Day.

Is Columbus Day a good holiday or should it be abolished?

Heh, seems much of our "holy days" are pretty idiotic, if not steeped in the same sort of hate this one is. Easter and Xmas both are usurped pagan celebrations that came only by the fall of millions of lives under the crushing heel of ancient god folk, and those are the biggest. Thanksgiving? Farming is industrialized now, so there's no attachment to "the harvest", and it's continued to be shown as some sort of bread breaking between white and red, when history shows the original was white's only and served as a celebration of good fortune, including their recent victory over the natives. Not exactly the picture painted to third graders, is it?

This is the offensive part. I hate white people for Columbo no more than I hate Sadiq for 9/11 (to be clear, I mean not at all). What I do hate is the dismissal. The bulls#$% and pathetic whitewashing of history. THAT is offensive, and on that matter I've no qualms with being as loud as I like and to hell with your offense.

The fact of the matter is red folk were no savage wild men. We weren't some almost-animal barely capable of civilized life. Our arts, our engineering, our civilization rivaled if not surpassed many of the Europeans. We built pyramids. We had currency. We had temples and arts and creations that rivaled any of those of Michelangelo's David. We were engineers. We made aqueducts and roads and bridges just like our European counterparts that garnered so much revelry in ancient Rome. Native American civilization stretched from Chile to the Arctic circle. It was no band of roaming animals, sitting in a spot until they s#$%ted it up and ruined it, moving on to find another place to s#$% up. We were a developed people.

AZD makes my point perfectly. Contrary to his belief, it's been known forever that Native Americans sailed the open ocean. Inuit have been crossing the Bering Sea in kayak since before the days of Khan. The Taino ruled the Caribbean for a hundred lifetimes, how you think they got there? DNA research has found peoples from Polynesia reproduced with Natives from Chile all the way to BC, Vancouver, CAN. (that's anywhere from a 2,300mi to 7,100mi trip; Miami to Spain is 4,400mi, for those keeping score). Archaeologists have found vessels equal to that of ancient Vikings, some with up to 60 rowers. 1st century CE a Native boat landed in Europe, its sailors captured and sold into slavery, the boat put on display in Rome. 1st century CE! But here we have claims that natives "weren't capable of open ocean travel".

This whitewashing is an erasure of my culture and y'all actively engage in it even today. IN MY LIFETIME native people's have been illegally detained and surreptitiously sterilized. I still to this day pass the Indian boarding school where my g-pops was forced his indoctrination and assimilation. That mf'er was serving this country before this country even recognized his people as citizens (in 1921, US recognized natives in '24). Company E 8th Infantry 4th Regiment in WWII and Korea, and they rewarded him by burying his home under 200' of mud and water with a f#$% you and have a nice day. To this day you will never see such abject poverty and hopelessness as you'll find on some Indian reservations, all the effect of an attempt to wipe our entire peoples off the face of the planet.

The persecution of the red man continues today, so Colombo is not some antiquated piece of trivia that one can take or leave, as one may be able to do with Xmas or Easter. He personally was a tyrant, a murdering, pedophile rapist that wiped an entire culture of people out of the Caribbean, and y'all "celebrate" it while the very people he persecuted are still here standing right next to you. Not "killed my great-great-great... in 1376", but "stole my grandfather's land in 1965" and "sterilized my aunt in 1976". S#$% I personally experience in my great and advanced age of 38.

You can keep the day. You can keep the name. You can even keep every single one of the state and federally funded statues, parks, or whatever the f#$% else you have erected for your glory. But TELL THE TRUTH. Teach the real history. Deal with facts, handle your own your insecurities, and speak truths. I'd actually rather keep everything and add truth than walking anything back. Teach and learn. I can handle that. Prefer it, actually. Tell the truth about The Removal, tell the truth about Wounded Knee, about Little Big Horn, about the Mancato executions. Teach who that man on the $20 is, or some other history about "The Great Emancipator". Teach f$%^ing anything, anything besides "we had turkey and everything was cool".

Truth, or FOH.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 91234>Last »