Columbus Day or Indiginous People'd Day?

Page 9 of 9« First<6789
August 2nd, 2020 at 12:29:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Fine. Of course, from the same video, and the same guy talking.

"Admittedly American folklore has probably turned him into a bigger deal than he should be, given his rather minimal involvement in US history, which is why I personally don't think we should have a day to celebrate him."

https://youtu.be/ZEw8c6TmzGg?t=1560

In U.S. history maybe (that guy is a history teacher, and makes many great videos).

But, as far as human history and science goes I trust Neil deGrasse Tyson (that his voyage was the most significant event).

But, the point was he was certainly no Hitler (especially scaled to his time period). And, most claims about his evil are made by people who understand little about him (and just on the anti-colonial train)...
August 2nd, 2020 at 12:44:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler

"Admittedly American folklore has probably turned him into a bigger deal than he should be, given his rather minimal involvement in US history, which is why I personally don't think we should have a day to celebrate him."

In U.S. history maybe (that guy is a history teacher, and makes many great videos).

But, as far as human history and science goes I trust Neil deGrasse Tyson (that his voyage was the most significant event).

But, the point was he was certainly no Hitler (especially scaled to his time period). And, most claims about his evil are made by people who understand little about him (and just on the anti-colonial train)...

Well, my argument is not so much whether someone is significant in history. Just which ones really belong on a pedestal. If it turns out Abraham Lincoln had 50 sex slaves in the basement of the White House, we ought to reconsider his position of honor.

All people of significance belong in the history books, good or evil. Not all belong on a pedestal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 2nd, 2020 at 5:23:05 PM permalink
Gandler

Well, my argument is not so much whether someone is significant in history. Just which ones really belong on a pedestal. If it turns out Abraham Lincoln had 50 sex slaves in the basement of the White House, we ought to reconsider his position of honor.

All people of significance belong in the history books, good or evil. Not all belong on a pedestal.

Fair enough.

I think he is worth "being on a pedestal" , but I am not going to tell you that you are wrong for feeling how you feel.
August 2nd, 2020 at 5:38:36 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was surprised to learn he was dead by 1506. Between 1492 and then how much impact on Spanish administration of their new colonies could he possibly have had?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 2nd, 2020 at 5:43:00 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit
I was surprised to learn he was dead by 1506. Between 1492 and then how much impact on Spanish administration of their new colonies could he possibly have had?

Well he introduced two isolated civilizations from each others....
So, probably a lot....
August 2nd, 2020 at 7:48:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Tyson said Columbus brought back Syphilis, so there's that.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 3rd, 2020 at 3:27:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Just opening the New World and altering the course of history like nothing before or since.
The President is a fink.
August 3rd, 2020 at 5:14:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Well he introduced two isolated civilizations from each others....
So, probably a lot....
you overlook the word I inserted, 'administration', which has been the harshest focus of the modern criticism of Columbus. As that video shows, they now even have a cartoon [short version below] reaming the guy for all the subsequent sins of the way the Spanish administered their new colonies. How much could he have had to do with that seeing as how most of what he was doing subsequently was additional voyages, then he died. [edits]

Just now started watching that cartoon. Starts off claiming Columbus 'never set foot in America' as if the Caribbean is not part of the Americas ... good grief! See that other video for full and better criticism, but this smart-ass in the cartoon is insufferable to me. Another example: C. didn't discover anything, he says, because natives were already here. As if what someone means who says "C. discovered America" is that it was previously uninhabited. Nonetheless all this harping is music to the ears of people who hate him, a 'convenient scapegoat' as the other video says. Quite correctly. [edits]

PS, he had a debilitative illness too, not a sudden death.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 3rd, 2020 at 5:34:41 AM permalink
Gandler
you overlook the word I inserted, 'administration', which has been the harshest focus of the modern criticism of Columbus. As that video shows, they now even have a cartoon [short version below] reaming the guy for all the subsequent sins of the way the Spanish administered their new colonies. How much could he have had to do with that seeing as how most of what he was doing subsequently was additional voyages, then he died. [edits]

Just now started watching that cartoon. Starts off claiming Columbus 'never set foot in America' as if the Caribbean is not part of the Americas ... good grief! See that other video for full and better criticism, but this smart-ass in the cartoon is insufferable to me. Another example: C. didn't discover anything, he says, because natives were already here. As if what someone means who says "C. discovered America" is that it was previously uninhabited. Nonetheless all this harping is music to the ears of people who hate him, a 'convenient scapegoat' as the other video says. Quite correctly. [edits]

PS, he had a debilitative illness too, not a sudden death.

Yeah, Adam Ruins Everything videos are generally obnoxious.
But, his Columbus one is just laughably wrong.
October 12th, 2020 at 6:34:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!
The President is a fink.
Page 9 of 9« First<6789