The Atheist Thread (Long Time Coming)

November 12th, 2019 at 4:33:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
btw those were good points by everybody

I don't know much about what life would be like before DNA, I might try to look into that, I took a lot of biology back in the day
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 14th, 2019 at 12:34:32 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
btw those were good points by everybody

I don't know much about what life would be like before DNA, I might try to look into that, I took a lot of biology back in the day
Finding some interesting stuff, but having trouble writing about it intelligently myself, writer's block sort of thing

Re Hoyle, this video also does a better job than I did:

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 15th, 2019 at 2:28:22 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Re Hoyle, this video also does a better job than I did:

Junk science. When his steady state theory was disproved, he introduced more junk science, using the concept of ‘negative energy fields’ to explain how it might be possible.

As for panspermia, it still does not explain how life originated.

This is atheist Richard Dawkins, who made millions writing about atheism, being made a fool, in Ben Stein’s documentary ‘Expelled’.

Expelled:No Intelligence Allowed

November 15th, 2019 at 10:03:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Tanko
Junk science. When his steady state theory was disproved, he introduced more junk science, using the concept of ‘negative energy fields’ to explain how it might be possible.

As for panspermia, it still does not explain how life originated.

This is atheist Richard Dawkins, who made millions writing about atheism, being made a fool, in Ben Stein’s documentary ‘Expelled’.

Expelled:No Intelligence Allowed

Richard Dawkins being made a fool by Ben Stein? I don't think so....
November 15th, 2019 at 10:35:42 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
One review subtidled Expelled with "No Integrity Displayed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 15th, 2019 at 10:48:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

This is atheist Richard Dawkins, who made millions writing about atheism, being made a fool,

Not hardly. Stein took a 45 min interview
and cherry picked edited it down to 6
min to make it go the way he wanted.
When Dawkins said why would you even
ask me if I believe in the Hindu gods,
or the Muslim god, shows the Jewish
Steins almost total ignorance of what
Dawkins is all about.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 15th, 2019 at 11:34:29 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: Gandler
Richard Dawkins being made a fool by Ben Stein? I don't think so....

Think again.

"What you think about the possibility that intelligent design might be the answer?" - Stein

“It could come about in the following way. It could be that at some earlier time, somewhere in the universe, a civilization evolved a very high level of technology and designed the form of life that they seeded onto this planet.”

“If you look at the details of our biology, you might find a signature of some sort of designer. That designer could be a higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe.”

“That higher intellegence itself would have had to have come about by some explicable or ultimately explicable process. It could not have jumped into existence spontaneously.”

“So, Prof. Dawkins is not against intelligent design, just certain types of designers, such as God.” -Stein
November 15th, 2019 at 11:48:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

“So, Prof. Dawkins is not against intelligent design, just certain types of designers, such as God.” -Stein

So he thinks there may be alien
designers of life somewhere,
and not some invisible unproveable
imaginary god. What does that
have to do with anything. We
ourselves will be designing life
in the not too distant future,
does that mean we are gods?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 15th, 2019 at 12:23:43 PM permalink
Tanko

There was no life before DNA.

3.5 billion years ago, a bunch of very smart molecules got together and decided to form amino acids, peptides, nucleotides, RNA, DNA, encoded genes, gene enhancers, enzymes, and carbohydrates, some of which are infinitely more complex than infinitely complex DNA, combine them into self-replicating life forms, and prevent all to this from instantly decaying in an oxygen rich environment.

Wasn’t as easy as it sounds. Nature doesn’t keep notes. Failure meant starting from scratch.

This is James Tour discussing the Mystery of the Origin of Life:

November 15th, 2019 at 12:48:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Still waiting for the first ever solved mystery to be linked to a supernatural cause.

Other than fiction writing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?