Rant on two issues

October 18th, 2019 at 2:37:09 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Issue 1 re: Google:

I have been a solo practitioner for 12 years and always used a virtual office to keep overhead low. Recently, I moved locations and set up a Google My Business account for the new location. I spoke with customer service and they "verified" my business over the phone - that was 2 months ago. However, my verification has remained in "pending" status since then. I finally received an email from Google a few minutes ago stating that, because my address is a virtual office, they will not "verify" my business.

I wrote back reminding them that they verified my virtual office for the past 12 years and that now that I moved locations they are refusing to verify me. I also mentioned that they still show my old virtual office address on Google and that they are causing confusion as that listing is listed as "No longer in business" and, thusly, I am losing clients and if Google truly refuses to verify virtual offices then they should remove the old virtual office listing from their database.

This is beyond frustrating as now, without my business being verified, I cannot see how I can ever improve my website ranking on Google. Basically, unless I can afford to lease actual office space in Manhattan (I cannot), I am SOL

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

-------

Issue 2 re: police:

I just had to write the Judge seeking a conference call. My client has an Order of Protection against her ex who remains, temporarily, in the marital residence as my client vacated it with their child due to abuse. Here is what happened:

Pursuant to the one (1) year Order of Protection this Court issued against Respondent on October \_\_, 2019, my client was allowed, on one (1) occasion, to enter the marital residence to retrieve her belongings therefrom. Respondent’s counsel and I arranged that this was to take place today at 4:00 p.m. Upon arriving at the marital residence, Officer \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_, Badge Number \_\_\_ from the \_\_\_ Precinct, \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ County Police Department refused to allow my client to retrieve said belongings. According to Officer \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_, my client had already entered the marital residence once on September \_\_, 2019. However, that entry was pursuant to the Temporary Order of Protection issued that day by Your Honor. As the officer would not get on the phone with me, I had my client inform him that this was a new Order of the Court and asked her to have him look at the different dates on each Order. This produced zero effect and the officer informed my client that he would not allow her to enter the residence as she already had her “one chance”.

Your thoughts and experiences?
October 19th, 2019 at 6:17:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Nothing in the various orders said anything about one and only one time then forever be gone for all eternity, the flatfoot took it upon himself to add that.

What about these 'we work' or shared spaces? You pay for receptionist/faxes/conference room only as you use them but do get a tenant listing. Need only check with them to make sure they are not accepting process on your behalf.
October 19th, 2019 at 7:08:12 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Fleastiff
Nothing in the various orders said anything about one and only one time then forever be gone for all eternity, the flatfoot took it upon himself to add that..

Exactly = I suppose, according to this cop, the Judge on a case can only issue one Order on the entire case forever

What about these 'we work' or shared spaces? You pay for receptionist/faxes/conference room only as you use them but do get a tenant listing. Need only check with them to make sure they are not accepting process on your behalf.

That's what I have
October 19th, 2019 at 9:42:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: aceofspades
That's what I have
Then it is a PHYSICAL office to which you happen to trek rather rarely. Why does Google gotta verify anything? Its no different than a large office to which you trek every day for eight hours.
October 19th, 2019 at 12:42:33 PM permalink
aceofspades
Then it is a PHYSICAL office to which you happen to trek rather rarely. Why does Google gotta verify anything? Its no different than a large office to which you trek every day for eight hours.

Preaching to the choir my friend
October 19th, 2019 at 4:15:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Google isn't always your friend, just ask the secret service about that guy who walked into their Seattle office and tapped a phone call to their Washington headquarters in front of them.
November 4th, 2019 at 11:59:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I hope each of your two Rant-inducing problems eventually got resolved.
November 4th, 2019 at 1:06:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't like threads about two unrelated topics, as the discussion will be hard to follow.

That said, I can't help with the Google issue, but maybe you can help me. At WoV I was lamenting I wrote a program to analyze a new game at the Sahara and it will take 23.5 days to loop through all the combinations. A friend suggested I get "cloud based hosting" and run the program on the cloud. I looked at some options and I don't get the impression I can upload an unverified program to their server and run it remotely. I wouldn't want to either in their shoes, who knows what virus-laden programs people would execute.

My ideal solution to this and other problems would be to not just put files on the cloud, but do almost everything on the cloud, including writing and running software. On the Microsoft cloud, it seems you can only run Microsoft programs and some other cherry-picked approved ones.

Any suggestions?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 5th, 2019 at 12:47:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Azure is a Microsoft chip and cloud security service available next February.