Science and Religion

Page 2 of 22<12345>Last »
October 20th, 2019 at 12:27:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
It is an arrogance that they think mankind can do anything and there is no higher power. I just don't get it.

You don't get it because you were
brainwashed at an early age not to
get it. I see no 'higher power' anywhere,
neither does science. We don't have
to prove a god doesn't exist, YOU are
the ones making the claims, the
burden is on you for the proof.
Meanwhile the rest of us and science
will just keep rolling along..

I'm still waiting for even the tiniest
bit of proof that a god or the
supernatural is real. Houdini put
up a large sum of money for proof,
as has Randi. They both wasted
their time..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2019 at 12:42:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
You don't get it because you were
brainwashed at an early age not to
get it. I see no 'higher power' anywhere,
neither does science. We don't have
to prove a god doesn't exist, YOU are
the ones making the claims, the
burden is on you for the proof.
Meanwhile the rest of us and science
will just keep rolling along..

Sorry, YOU are making a claim, YOU need to back it up with more than "no, it isn't." I have heard "science" giving credit to "mother nature" more than a few times.

If you want to prove to me there is no God, show me how life rises from no life. Then explain why it rose on earth but nowhere else in the solar system. Then I will listen. Meanwhile I will never take a person who "believes in science" but says there is no possibility of a higher being serious as far as science goes as no serious scientist would exclude that which they cannot prove or disprove.
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2019 at 12:53:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The Bible already contains evidence that would actually convince a lot of atheists if it ever occurred. MANY, of us, I predict don't even need any proof that hasn't already been claimed in the Bible, so we're not even expecting something that hasn't been done.

How many can you raise from the dead? Happened in the Bible. We'll pick 20 or so dead people at random, you raise them up.

A real angel appearing here on Earth. Happened in the Bible. Why doesn't one show up where we can examine him or her.

Asking God to part a large body of water on command so we can pass. Happened in the Bible. That would be fairly convincing. We'll pick the bodies of water, you do the magic a couple times over in different places without preparation. Convince a lot of us.

How about a whale carrying someone around in its mouth for just a couple weeks. Happened in the Bible. We'll pick the whales, you make it happen.

The evidence is all supposedly done already at one time. That's all I'm asking.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2019 at 1:02:16 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Sorry, YOU are making a claim, YOU need to back it up with more than "no, it isn't." I have heard "science" giving credit to "mother nature" more than a few times.

If you want to prove to me there is no God, show me how life rises from no life. Then explain why it rose on earth but nowhere else in the solar system. Then I will listen. Meanwhile I will never take a person who "believes in science" but says there is no possibility of a higher being serious as far as science goes as no serious scientist would exclude that which they cannot prove or disprove.

No we are not, and no we do not. I do not accept your claim in a God. That is all we are saying.

As for the solar system and planets with life. That has nothing to do with a God. But, life is very random (all of the right aspects coming together on one planet for intillegent life to evolve), it probably has also happened elsewhere. But, the universe is so vast, and life planets are so rare it's possible we will never find one (or not for thousands of years).

God is possible. Thor is possible, Posideion is possible. None of them are likely, and I have seen no evidence for any, so I will continue to identify as an atheist.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:09:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
If you want to prove to me there is no God, show me how life rises from no life. .

Prove first there was 'no life'. You're
just making assumptions. You make
an assumption, then invent an answer
to fill in the blank. This is what the
organized religions always do. They
find questions science hasn't answered
and blame it on some god.

How about this. We use electricity
every day. We know how to make
it, how to use it, how to measure
it. But we really don't know what
it is. There are lots of theories and
some are probably correct. In the
mean time, because all we have
are theories, do we blame some
god? That would be ridiculous.

That's what god people do. They
find a question that hasn't been
answered, and just assume some
god is behind it. God is never the
first answer to any question, it's
always the dead last answer on
any list. When we've run out of
every possible solution, then
we can blame god. This will never
happen because there is a science
answer for everything. Eventually.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:13:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler

No we are not, and no we do not. I do not accept your claim in a God. That is all we are saying.

Uh, no. I have seen it said at least a few times atheists claiming there can be no God. "Agnostic" would fit what you state above. That is not what we have here.

Quote:
As for the solar system and planets with life. That has nothing to do with a God. But, life is very random (all of the right aspects coming together on one planet for intillegent life to evolve), it probably has also happened elsewhere. But, the universe is so vast, and life planets are so rare it's possible we will never find one (or not for thousands of years).

I am sure they are out there but do not believe we will ever find one. Too many reasons that make it not possible.

Quote:
God is possible. Thor is possible, Posideion is possible. None of them are likely, and I have seen no evidence for any, so I will continue to identify as an atheist.

I extend the challenge to you as well. Please show how life can spring from no life. If the fact that life has to come from somewhere does not convince a person then their mind is closed to the point they will not be convinced.
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:19:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Gandler

I have to disagree. God is not possible,
not with the set of physical laws we have.
They're called laws for a reason, you can't
break them, they always apply. They would
apply to a god as well, therefore the laws
cancel out a gods existence. The natural
and supernatural cannot exist at the same
time, they cancel each other out. It's fun
to imagine they do, but in reality it's not
possible.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:20:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I have to disagree. God is not possible,
not with the set of physical laws we have.
They're called laws for a reason, you can't
break them, they always apply. They would
apply to a god as well, therefore the laws
cancel out a gods existence. The natural
and supernatural cannot exist at the same
time, they cancel each other out. It's fun
to imagine they do, but in reality it's not
possible.

You mean like the physical law that life cannot spontaneously generate out of nothing?
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:23:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
If the fact that life has to come from somewhere

Who says it has to come from
'somewhere', that's just an
assumption you're making.
How could you possibly know.
Just be patient, all the questions
will be answered eventually.
Blaming some god for what
we don't know is slamming the
door on science. We had that
mindset for far too long.
October 20th, 2019 at 1:23:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
BTW, I'm being easy on the Bible believers. I'm not asking for an appearence of the main guy, just his manifiestations which are already claimed to have happend. How much easier can I make it?

Quote: rxwine
The Bible already contains evidence that would actually convince a lot of atheists if it ever occurred. MANY, of us, I predict don't even need any proof that hasn't already been claimed in the Bible, so we're not even expecting something that hasn't been done.

How many can you raise from the dead? Happened in the Bible. We'll pick 20 or so dead people at random, you raise them up.

A real angel appearing here on Earth. Happened in the Bible. Why doesn't one show up where we can examine him or her.

Asking God to part a large body of water on command so we can pass. Happened in the Bible. That would be fairly convincing. We'll pick the bodies of water, you do the magic a couple times over in different places without preparation. Convince a lot of us.

How about a whale carrying someone around in its mouth for just a couple weeks. Happened in the Bible. We'll pick the whales, you make it happen.

The evidence is all supposedly done already at one time. That's all I'm asking.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 22<12345>Last »