Joker

Page 1 of 212>
October 20th, 2019 at 10:20:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I saw Joker yesterday.

Let me begin with a warning that this is a dark, heavy and violent movie. I would not file with other super-hero movies. Rather I would file it with movies like Taxi Driver and Clockwork Orange.

There are several unveiled shootings in the movie at close range. At this risk of a spoiler, we also seem the Joker kill own mother. About the only tie in to the Batman story is I believe it was established that Bruce Wayne saw his parents murdered as a child, which Joker addresses.

So, don't expect to like this movie if you liked Wonder Woman and Spider Man. Your decision should see it should depend almost not at all on knowing about or keeping up with the Batman story line.

Many comparisons could be made to Taxi Driver. It may not be a coincidence that Robert De Niro plays a major roll in the movie. We also see the same kind of high and grin that Alex got from violence in Clockwork Orange on the face of Arthur/Joker.

Joker tells the story of a very mentally disturbed aspiring stand-up comedian as he faces being victimized by street thugs, his medication being cut off and getting fired from his job as a clown. In a spontaneous act of self defense, he kills three people, and gradually realizes he enjoyed it. I won't take it any further than that.

My review? I thought it was outstanding. This will probably be the movie Joaquin Phoenix is remembered for, much as Heather Ledger was for playing the same character. Everyone in the movie rose to the occasion. It all comes together perfectly. I am not saying everybody will like it. In fact, I think this is the kind of movie most people will either hate or love. Some may take issue with portraying a murderer in a sympathetic light and provoking class envy, but I don't.

I welcome all comments, especially by those who actually saw the movie.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 20th, 2019 at 10:38:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Another movie I'll never see. Way too
many well written and thought out
negative reviews. Everybody says
Phoenix did a great job, then go on
to write paragraphs about how the
rest was really really bad. Many say
it's exploiting mental illness and
that's enough for me to never
go near it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2019 at 10:55:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
What a difficult movie to see. It was I think the saddest movie I ever saw, but I feel it was important as well. I don't even really think they can work this new take on the Joker into the Batman world as Batman clearly has never heard of the Joker before he appears in the movies. Anyway I think they just used the Joker character to critique the reality of our world today and how important it is to care for the materially poor and those who struggle with mental illness.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 20th, 2019 at 12:40:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: FrGamble
Anyway I think they just used the Joker character to critique the reality of our world today and how important it is to care for the materially poor and those who struggle with mental illness.

Amen to that!
October 20th, 2019 at 1:56:16 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I didn't like the movie. The character is not likeable in any way. It is basically just a sad movie with sad characters with almost no connection to the audience. Other than the joker there is no character development, no interesting sub plots. To me it's an "Emporer has no clothes" type movie. I think it's bad, but people are afraid to say it....
October 20th, 2019 at 2:07:47 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
I didn't like the movie. The character is not likeable in any way. It is basically just a sad movie with sad characters with almost no connection to the audience. Other than the joker there is no character development, no interesting sub plots. To me it's an "Emporer has no clothes" type movie. I think it's bad, but people are afraid to say it....

I agree.

It’s a very pointless movie. And I don’t like this take on the Joker. The Joker is an anarchist criminal mastermind, not some mentally ill schmuck.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 20th, 2019 at 3:11:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I think it's bad, but people are afraid to say it....

Maybe afraid here, not on the
movie forums. A ton of people
say it's the worst movie they've
seen in 20 years.

I got sucked in the other night.
I always read reviews, that's
what they're for. So you know
what you're getting and can
save time by weeding out the
junk. Time Trap, looked it up,
read too fast, it was late, and
watched it. Absolutely awful.
No story, no acting, no
production budget. I went back
and read again and it's one of the
worst movies ever made.

You have to be careful with reviews.
Often people who hate a movie
will write a glowing review to
suck others in like they got sucked
in. Only trust negative reviews,
nobody will go to the trouble
of writing 4 detailed paragraphs
of bad things about a good movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2019 at 3:15:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I decided to see what Google delivers on the question: "Movies without plots."

One I was familiar with, "The Breakfast Club". Sort of has a plot. But not much of one I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2019 at 5:41:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
All the complaints made here about Joker could be made about Taxi Driver and I've never heard a negative comment about that movie.
October 21st, 2019 at 7:27:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
All the complaints made here about Joker could be made about Taxi Driver and I've never heard a negative comment about that movie.

Richard Schickel (TIME Magazine August 30, 2009) states that "[Scorsese] seems to need scripts with well-designed humor and performers with the spirit of Ellen Burstyn to compensate for what seems to be a fundamentally depressed view of life and the belief that sobriety is the equivalent of seriousness."

Stephanie Zacharek (TIME Magazine August 31, 2019) states that "Phillips may want us to think he's giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he's just offering a prime example of it."

So TIME Magazine gave a negative review of both movies.

Rotten Tomatoes critics for Taxi Driver: Fresh (82) | Rotten (2)
Rotten Tomatoes critics for The Joker: Fresh (333) | Rotten (156)
Page 1 of 212>