What I Ate Today

November 11th, 2021 at 11:22:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee

He never checked with me ahead of time as to what I might like,

Why would he, it's not a restaurant he's running. You get invited to dinner you eat what they're serving. What's wrong with the liver a wonderful. Liver and onions I could eat a huge plate of it. Chicken livers are even better. Who doesn't like salmon. The woman was an idiot.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2021 at 4:40:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Poached chicken breasts with spinach egg white omelet on top sandwich. I really hit on something with these mini omelettes. So easy to make and so good for you. I sprayed a 9-inch bowl with cooking spray and added two cups of raw spinach and 3/4 cups egg white. Put a dinner plate on top and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. You have a perfect thin omelette that works great on a sandwich. Men need to eat a lot of protein especially senior citizens. There's a ton of protein in a chicken breast in the egg whites even in the spinach. Raw egg whites are what bodybuilders drink for the protein.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 12th, 2021 at 12:31:23 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Last night went to Griffons Gastropub. Always has a few weird things on the menu. I had elk burger. Covered in garlic aioli, lettuce, tomato, onions, onion rings, maple wood bacon. It was maybe 8 inches high. Threw out the bun. It was good, but no better than a regular hamburger. Wife had shells slathered in melted gouda cheese. Excellent! Shrimp po boy (friend) was lauded. Fried goat cheese balls also a hit. Caesar salad were two giant hunks of lettuce that looked like canoes covered in the dressing. They have a hundred or so beers on tap. I had a flight of three ciders. Only $2 for each 5 ounce sample.
November 12th, 2021 at 12:40:32 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: SOOPOO
Caesar salad were two giant hunks of lettuce that looked like canoes covered in the dressing.

There was a steak house in either Camden or Pennsauken NJ that served salads as a solid wedge of iceburg lettuce.

Large restaurant and did real well for awhile.
November 12th, 2021 at 12:44:31 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: missedhervee
There was a steak house in either Camden or Pennsauken NJ that served salads as a solid wedge of iceburg lettuce.

Large restaurant and did real well for awhile.

It wasn’t a wedge. I tried with the ‘canoe’ comment to better describe it. We have a steakhouse that does an ‘iceberg wedge salad’ like you describe.
November 12th, 2021 at 4:46:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Shaved ham red onions and homemade coleslaw. Putting coleslaw on a sandwich is very popular in many parts of the country and always has been. I had to fight for mine. I finished making it and put it in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and put it on my front porch because it's colder outside than it is in my refrigerator. I want to retrieve it an hour later and it was gone! I found it out in the yard with tooth marks all around the lid but the lid was still intact so the coleslaw was good. It had to be a possum. Frontier life in Michigan where we fight the wild animals for our food.

November 12th, 2021 at 7:36:10 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
You need to track down that possum, kill him, clean him and cook him.

Jed Clampett loved possum so I assume you will too.
November 13th, 2021 at 5:33:56 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Shaved ham red onions and homemade coleslaw. Putting coleslaw on a sandwich is very popular in many parts of the country and always has been. I had to fight for mine. I finished making it and put it in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid and put it on my front porch because it's colder outside than it is in my refrigerator. I want to retrieve it an hour later and it was gone! I found it out in the yard with tooth marks all around the lid but the lid was still intact so the coleslaw was good. It had to be a possum. Frontier life in Michigan where we fight the wild animals for our food.

Very Nice!

What's your coleslaw recipe? Mine is:

Green Cabbage (2 Cups)
Red Cabbage (2 Cups)
Shredded Carrots (1.5 Cups)
1/2 Cup Green Onions
Unflavored Greek Yogurt (1 Cup)
Lemon Juice (1/8th Cup)
Sea Salt
Red Pepper
Fresh Mint
Fresh Basil
Fresh Cilantro

I can't give you a quantity as far as the spices go. Probably no more than a tsp of salt, but the rest I just kind of play around with until I'm happy with it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 13th, 2021 at 4:21:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Fried fish cakes made with canned mackerel. I like my fish cakes extra moist because they can be really dry and almost inedible if you're not careful. I use soft bread crumbs and add a little of the broth from the can into the mixture and they come out really soft and tasty.

November 14th, 2021 at 6:39:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Evenbob
Fried fish cakes made with canned mackerel. I like my fish cakes extra moist because they can be really dry and almost inedible if you're not careful. I use soft bread crumbs and add a little of the broth from the can into the mixture and they come out really soft and tasty.

Jealous as usual. I had Gorton’s fish sticks last night. The ones with whole pieces of fish instead of minced fish. Not soft like yours. I dip them in Mayo to make them seem soft inside. Also bought whitefish salad. I love the smokey creamy flavor. ACME.