What I Ate Today

December 26th, 2021 at 4:34:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Christmas dinner was Prime Rib [2 ribs] ... no picture, too forgetful after the cocktails

the wife did take a picture of her cocktail, we mixed up some whiskey sours. I have made these from scratch, but actually we prefer the mix so we get the foam. Pretty dumb, but true! It's the packets. The secret to getting good foam is to use slightly more water than whiskey. If 80 proof, not much more; if 90 proof as currently I use 4 jiggers whiskey, 5 jiggers water, 2 packets, and just enough lemon juice to cover the bottom of the glass before pouring, for extra sourness. The packets are kind of lacking in that dept.

the cheese is Stilton ... the best blue cheese if you ask me. The Brits do OK with that, I might have to take back those things I said to OD

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2021 at 6:06:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Was Cody's worth going to? I have one about an hour away but their website did nothing to convince me that it would be worth an hour trip.

Do you get over to Tampa very often? I will be going at the end of January to watch a Tampa Bay Lightning against Vegas Golden Knights game. I really just want to try Ted Peter's.

http://www.tedpetersfish.com/

I ate there
It was ok
Tampa Bay brewing company has a couple of restaurants that are excellent. Best meatloaf I've ever had. It was featured on one of those food network shows
https://www.tbbc.beer/home
Cody's is just a cheap chain. I was unimpressed
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 26th, 2021 at 6:54:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
Christmas dinner was Prime Rib [2 ribs] ... no picture, too forgetful after the cocktails

the wife did take a picture of her cocktail, we mixed up some whiskey sours. I have made these from scratch, but actually we prefer the mix so we get the foam. Pretty dumb, but true! It's the packets. The secret to getting good foam is to use slightly more water than whiskey. If 80 proof, not much more; if 90 proof as currently I use 4 jiggers whiskey, 5 jiggers water, 2 packets, and just enough lemon juice to cover the bottom of the glass before pouring, for extra sourness. The packets are kind of lacking in that dept.

the cheese is Stilton ... the best blue cheese if you ask me. The Brits do OK with that, I might have to take back those things I said to OD

Add a little bit of egg whites to your shaker and it produces a great foam. Many high end bars do this for their whiskey sours.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 26th, 2021 at 8:10:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've tried egg whites. It's off-putting to me, but I think it's "just me"
December 27th, 2021 at 6:19:01 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I've tried egg whites. It's off-putting to me, but I think it's "just me"

I have never noticed any taste from it. Obviously try putting in less.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 27th, 2021 at 6:28:09 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

I always see those in the grocery store, and always think about how fantastically 60’s/70’s the packaging is, and then wonder why anyone would make a whisky sour from powder.

I figure it’s like Kraft MacnCheese, sometimes you want actually the inferior but familiar version.
December 28th, 2021 at 4:50:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'll try to get more cocktail pictures going. I'm admitting this whole business with the powder is lame stuff, but we go to this often. Joke is on us.
December 28th, 2021 at 9:09:11 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I'll try to get more cocktail pictures going. I'm admitting this whole business with the powder is lame stuff, but we go to this often. Joke is on us.

I looked at the ingredients, and there is powdered egg white in it.

Makes sense if you want the foam but don’t want to deal with raw eggs.

Personally I can’t acquire the taste for Whiskey, even mixed with other things.
December 28th, 2021 at 4:21:55 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: gamerfreak
I looked at the ingredients, and there is powdered egg white in it.

Makes sense if you want the foam but don’t want to deal with raw eggs.

Personally I can’t acquire the taste for Whiskey, even mixed with other things.
Didn't know that!
December 28th, 2021 at 5:22:38 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Ate one of my favorite meals tonight, easy to make.

Cut up peeled potatoes into chunks, add cut up peppers and onions and top with Italian sausage cut into chunks (easier to cook the whole sausage separately, then cut up and add).

Season it as you see fit.

Bake in a casserole dish til done.