Minimum wage

Page 12 of 12« First<9101112
October 29th, 2021 at 8:19:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One thing concerning Unions and Employers. Employers can get away with a lot of stuff without the public seeing anything negative. Unions have a lot of troubling hiding anything. As soon as they do anything it generally becomes public. A strike, especially. An employer can do a lot of negative stuff before ever getting exposed. Unions can't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 29th, 2021 at 8:34:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I'm only concerned with a practical solution to Minimum Wage. If you index it to inflation, then the carpenter's wage would simply increase by the inflation percentage the following year.

It seems to me that would be better for the Union (and, by extension, the politicians of whom you speak) rather than having no change to the MW for more than a decade.

The GOP offered to index it to inflation years ago. Then Senator Hillary Clinton said no. Why? Because she wanted the issue to beat the GOP over the head with every few years.

Still think the Democrats care about the little guy?
The President is a fink.
October 29th, 2021 at 8:41:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Republicans have had plenty of chances to do what they wanted if they ever actually wanted to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 29th, 2021 at 8:51:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
The GOP offered to index it to inflation years ago. Then Senator Hillary Clinton said no. Why? Because she wanted the issue to beat the GOP over the head with every few years.

Still think the Democrats care about the little guy?

I don't recall stating, at least any time in recent memory, that they care about the little guy. Do you have a source on the GOP making this offer? I know that the GOP has recently (at least Cotton and Romney):

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/23/22297538/romney-cotton-10-minimum-wage-proposal

Suggested that Minimum Wage be made $10/hour by 2025 and then indexed to inflation every two years after that, but as you can see, there are some strings attached with even that (immigration enforcement) and a slower increase to the wages for small businesses...for some reason.

As mentioned on Page 6, if they had Indexed it at the time it was made $7.25 an hour, then it would be $8.77/hour for this year and, it's looking like perhaps a 5% (my cap) increase going into next year, so that would be $9.21/hour just by next year. I disagree with a fixed $10/hour by 2025 for the following reasons:

1.) Using my indexed plan, it might be that minimum wage 'should be,' more than that by then.

2.) Using my indexed plan, it might be that minimum wage 'should be,' less than that by then.

If you use $8.77 as a starting point for this year and start indexing for inflation now, then it could be anywhere from $8.77 to $10.66 by 2025, so I don't know why you wouldn't just set it to some fixed amount now and immediately start the indexing.

Anyway, I don't think Republicans care about the little guy, either. Where was the 115th Congress (Republican) at when they could have just done it under Trump, who, by the way, once said he'd support an increase to $10/hour? Republicans are only interested in compromise positions when they are not in power, which I guess makes them somewhat better than Democrats in that regard as I don't think Democrats are ever interested in compromise positions.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 29th, 2021 at 9:01:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
One thing concerning Unions and Employers. Employers can get away with a lot of stuff without the public seeing anything negative. Unions have a lot of troubling hiding anything. As soon as they do anything it generally becomes public. A strike, especially. An employer can do a lot of negative stuff before ever getting exposed. Unions can't.

The teamsters have never done anything negative especially under Jimmy Hoffa, yeah right. Probably easier for the unions to hide things than any publicly traded company.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 29th, 2021 at 9:03:06 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
The teamsters have never done anything negative especially under Jimmy Hoffa, yeah right. Probably easier for the unions to hide things than any publicly traded company.

I wouldn't count on it. If I had a dollar for every OSHA and/or health, and/or fire, and/or food violation I saw at the WalMart Distribution Center, I'd have probably been making $25/hour.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 29th, 2021 at 9:12:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman

I'm the first one to say, all sources of central power need oversight.

Ultimately, if employees are relatively content, nothing to fear from unions. That's how you take away their power.
October 29th, 2021 at 9:20:48 AM permalink
rxwine
If an employer has already created a poor environment, especially in trust, employees are going to doubt everything. Instead of rolling with a downturn in business, they become suspicious that management is hiding something from them and making them sacrificial lambs. When they should be rolling with the punches, they're demanding pay raises. Rot often comes from the top, though i don't exclude it from the bottom either when it happens.
October 29th, 2021 at 9:39:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Do you have a source on the GOP making this offer? I know that the GOP has recently (at least Cotton and Romney):

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/23/22297538/romney-cotton-10-minimum-wage-proposal

I just remember hearing it like 15+ years ago, so no. Knowing what a partisan piece of dog dirt Hillary is though it should be easy to believe.
The President is a fink.
Page 12 of 12« First<9101112