November 24th, 2019 at 3:03:00 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
He plays ball with kids? He has
sex with kids, as in 'you wanna
ball'. I don't get it.

Filter ON

I know a guy, about 60. At his age he still plays basketball with guys half his age. I feel it would do him good to have his leg broken. I mean, playing basketball is no future for a man his age; his future is heart disease and osteoporosis. I feel if he breaks his leg now, he will take action now that will help him in the future, and give an appreciation for the health he has that he would not have if not for the injury. I mean, c'mon. 60 and still playing? He needs to suffer. For his own good.

Filter OFF
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 24th, 2019 at 3:13:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Filter ON know a guy, about 60. At his age he still plays basketball

Never made the connection, I'm
not a sports person. At all. Nobody
in my fam watched it so I was
never exposed to it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2019 at 3:17:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Filter ON

I know a guy, about 60. At his age he still plays basketball with guys half his age. I feel it would do him good to have his leg broken. I mean, playing basketball is no future for a man his age; his future is heart disease and osteoporosis. I feel if he breaks his leg now, he will take action now that will help him in the future, and give an appreciation for the health he has that he would not have if not for the injury. I mean, c'mon. 60 and still playing? He needs to suffer. For his own good.

Filter OFF
Can you split the difference?

After you decoded it, it sounded like you were talking about SooPoo.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 24th, 2019 at 3:28:33 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Can you split the difference?

After you decoded it, it sounded like you were talking about SooPoo.

I was. Or am.

Guess I'm making a very poor point. What I'm trying to say is I see in his description a young kid who's making it at the moment, and appears to be happy / secure, but SOOPOO is displeased about it. And perhaps I'm mistakenly conflating others' posts into his; his "thanks" for others posts I took as "thanks for confirming my feelings" as opposed to just "thanks for participating", and if the latter, then perhaps I'm way off the mark. But if the former, then all I saw was "he should do this" or "he should do that", where the things suggested include crippling debt, murder for hire, and not one mote of consideration for what the man himself stated he wanted.

It seemed odd and off putting, so I tried to make an analogous post. A for effort, eh? lol. And it was purely analogy; I've no desire to see SOOP bruised let alone broken.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 24th, 2019 at 4:13:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I was. Or am.

Guess I'm making a very poor point. What I'm trying to say is I see in his description a young kid who's making it at the moment, and appears to be happy / secure, but SOOPOO is displeased about it. And perhaps I'm mistakenly conflating others' posts into his; his "thanks" for others posts I took as "thanks for confirming my feelings" as opposed to just "thanks for participating", and if the latter, then perhaps I'm way off the mark. But if the former, then all I saw was "he should do this" or "he should do that", where the things suggested include crippling debt, murder for hire, and not one mote of consideration for what the man himself stated he wanted.

It seemed odd and off putting, so I tried to make an analogous post. A for effort, eh? lol. And it was purely analogy; I've no desire to see SOOP bruised let alone broken.
Well maybe just a little break then?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 24th, 2019 at 4:36:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I was. Or am.

I do not remember hearing the man stated anything that he wanted. I see it more as a concern that a young man who may or may not be aimless is dating a woman in SOOPOO's life. And we all know how this ends up. They are dating at 21 and he is doing fairly well. It progresses, but his career may or may not. By 25, at the latest, a kid is on the way and the job at Panera does not support a wife and kid the same as it does a single guy living minimalist with a roommate.

I would wager it is impossible to get to age 40 and not have seen this. It was a sub-plot of "The Wire" season 2, which IMHO showed it best of any TV show. Once the girl lets herself get pregnant, that is the end of it. 2-3 year apprenticeships no longer pay the bills. Panera line work sure as heck does not pay them. So we shall we say "advise" SOOPOO to gently but firmly be on the kid to better himself.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2019 at 5:24:10 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I expect my career ending injury to be an Achilles.
Wife and I talked to her daughter, who, stunningly, agreed with us! Said something like Panera is fine now at 21, but would be a big red flag if he is still there at 25. Those scoffing at the history teacher idea, I understand the concerns. Those concerns are not mine. I know high school history teachers do not become millionaires, but do fine. And can do summer gigs if money is important. Plus I'm all for chasing a dream. How many people have 'good' jobs but rue going every day?
November 26th, 2019 at 3:11:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
I expect my career ending injury to be an Achilles.
Wife and I talked to her daughter, who, stunningly, agreed with us! Said something like Panera is fine now at 21, but would be a big red flag if he is still there at 25. Those scoffing at the history teacher idea, I understand the concerns. Those concerns are not mine. I know high school history teachers do not become millionaires, but do fine. And can do summer gigs if money is important. Plus I'm all for chasing a dream.

Good for her for seeing this. Too many would miss it. I would maybe remind her how time slips by and 25 comes up fast and not fall into the "well he's thinking of..........." Gently remind, but remind.

Quote:
How many people have 'good' jobs but rue going every day?

Lots. And lots of people have "dream" jobs that they hate within 5 years. He probably thinks he will get to just stand up and talk about history all day. But as a teacher you must spend lots of your time being a cop. You teach the same 1-2 courses over, over, over, over, and over. Nothing changes. You get a roomful of students half of whom will be asleep or you will be telling them to put their phones away. Parents who demand grades be inflated so little Johnny can get into X college. And life in an uncaring system that crushes people until they are robots.

Price of admission: $50-100,000. Give or take if they demand you have an unneeded Master's Degree.
The President is a fink.
November 26th, 2019 at 11:15:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Price of admission: $50-100,000. Give or take if they demand you have an unneeded Master's Degree.

Aside from the fact that teaching
is boring and repetitive and
students these days suck, history
teachers are not in demand. At all.
My daughter teaches math in
college and she says it mostly
sucks. The kids don't care about
learning. She's thrilled if she
has 1 or 2 students a semester
who seem to give a damn.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 26th, 2019 at 12:56:33 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Aside from the fact that teaching
is boring and repetitive and
students these days suck, history
teachers are not in demand. At all.
My daughter teaches math in
college and she says it mostly
sucks. The kids don't care about
learning. She's thrilled if she
has 1 or 2 students a semester
who seem to give a damn.

You may be right. But the kid "loves history". I find it a noble goal, to be a teacher. Also, I have noticed my two teacher neighbors who lived across the street enjoying July and August a lot more than I did.
Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »