Happy Thanksgiving!

Page 4 of 5<12345>
November 28th, 2019 at 5:16:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Great idea. I went to a local gun show here a few weeks back and two of our local gun dealers are also in the "buy, sell, trade" silver and gold business. I couldn't believe once when I showed up at one of their purchase seminars, someone was rolling in a cart load of silver dollars.

Almost all the other stuff will be forgotten, the silver is forever unless tragedy, and if that then who is the hero? The oldest niece is 11 or so. The youngest like 3. So say only one uncle does this, usually the case. Bday and Christmas. Two oz a year. Becomes 20 or more by adulthood. That might be a nice little thing. Better than China crap.

Quote:
Why do silver eagles have "One Dollar" printed on them? I know one dealer when asked said, the treasury couldn't even get that right.

An educated guess is that the mint has to put something and that way the Treasury can only be forced to buy it for $1. The Feds do not do anything by accident.
The President is a fink.
November 28th, 2019 at 5:18:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
We don't often agree, but this is one of those times.

Often, no. But between me ad EB how much less exciting would things be?
The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2019 at 8:36:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Sadly I am seeing reports that Black Friday near violence worldwide. Which is amazing what with Thanksgiving being a strictly USA holiday.
The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2019 at 8:52:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Sadly I am seeing reports that Black Friday near violence worldwide. Which is amazing what with Thanksgiving being a strictly USA holiday.

We celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada as well but not on the same date.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 29th, 2019 at 10:15:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sadly I am seeing reports that Black Friday near violence worldwide.

Cool, waiting for the video. Love
watching the morons fight over
$99 TV's at Walmart.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 29th, 2019 at 10:40:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
We celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada as well but not on the same date.

I know but different date is wha it is about. I’ve been told Canada thanksgiving is not as big a thing as in USA also.
The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2019 at 6:52:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I know but different date is wha it is about. I’ve been told Canada thanksgiving is not as big a thing as in USA also.

The whole get home and celebrate with the family is not as big a deal here in Canada. Unfortunately Black Friday has spread in a big way to Canada.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 30th, 2019 at 4:50:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
The whole get home and celebrate with the family is not as big a deal here in Canada. Unfortunately Black Friday has spread in a big way to Canada.

Sorry about the last part.
The President is a fink.
November 30th, 2019 at 2:44:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Nope. When I was kid in the 50's
half the fun of Xmas was getting
the Sears, Wards, and Speigel
Xmas catalogs. All were in full
color and we poured over
them for weeks figuring out
what we wanted. Consumerism
makes the holidays, it's makes
them great.

Yeah, when you're 5. I'll agree that the Sears catalog was always a Top 5 things received that year, beating out many of the gifts.

I'm not 5 anymore. This s#$% is f#$%ing mental. 28% of shoppers today are still paying off Xmas '18. And for what? What exactly is this all for?

You know how many parents lament that "he likes the box more than the gift" or "half this s#$% will be garbage in a week"? Yet the same idiots will fall all over themselves to do it all over again next year for the rest of their lives. You sacrifice your life at a job only to spend it teaching your kids that disposable consumerism is "in". If that's "making great", then it at least matches the current definition of the term.

Consumerism is the art of planting Needs. Too fat, too thin, not cool enough, not happy enough... create the problem and sell the solution.

Carry on, FrBob
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 30th, 2019 at 3:24:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
You know how many parents lament that "he likes the box more than the gift" or "half this s#$% will be garbage in a week"?

Parents lament at Xmas for last 100
years. They do grow up fast, grin
and bear it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 4 of 5<12345>