Issue for the 2020s -- fertility rate

August 13th, 2021 at 1:20:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
It means he dressed, spoke and acted like a well educated, well heeled white guy unless his audience was black.

These are "white" qualities?
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2021 at 1:31:38 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Yes indeed they are.

Wicked world, I'd hate to be black: repressed, depressed, second class citizen.
August 13th, 2021 at 1:32:30 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
That could be the case. The media has made it "cool" to be multi-racial to the point I have seen people think they are better than people who are not. But we still have the elephant in the room, the Boomers hitting the age to die out. Match that with the younger white generation wanting kids far less and there you have it.

Need to make sure we have enough immigrants to pay for my Social Security.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 23rd, 2021 at 4:01:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Growing share of childless adults in U.S. don’t expect to ever have children

"A majority (56%) of non-parents younger than 50 who say it’s unlikely they will have children someday say they just don’t want to have kids. "

And this is why all the government programs will never reverse a falling fertility rate.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2021 at 5:21:26 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: missedhervee
Yes indeed they are.

Wicked world, I'd hate to be black: repressed, depressed, second class citizen.

You can't solve this problem with CRT or giveaways. Liberal programs taking the father out of poor homes and other actions have devastated poor communities. I have posted an article about that; no one commented on it. We need to figure out how to create more and more educational opportunities for the poor. We need the community to react and make education important and help get rid of the attitude that education is not a good thing among some people.

There is no doubt that the history of the country needs to be taught and bring empathy to the suffering of generations without beating up people based on their color of birth. That won't fix anything. Acknowledge the issues and bring about a culture that wants to change it without penalizing others.

It can be done but big government will not do it efficiently. I know many successful people of every color. Perhaps we talk to them about how they did it and recreate that in others. Each one teach one...

Just tossing money at the poor won't fix a damn thing.
November 23rd, 2021 at 5:46:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: RonC
You can't solve this problem with CRT or giveaways. Liberal programs taking the father out of poor homes and other actions have devastated poor communities. I have posted an article about that; no one commented on it. We need to figure out how to create more and more educational opportunities for the poor. We need the community to react and make education important and help get rid of the attitude that education is not a good thing among some people.

Not quite. Cramming "the poor" into college will not solve the problem. First, we need to keep explaining how to avoid being poor. For the I do not know how manyth time here:

1. Finish high school
2. No kids without being married
3. Wait until age 25 to get married

Stick to that and your chance of living in poverty falls to near zero. What do we have in black communities? 80% of kids born out of wedlock. Blacks being told they are "acting white" or "uncle toms" if they try to succeed in school. The thing is this is all internal from the black community! Of course Democrat politicians saying that a black cannot succeed without help does not hurt the cause.

The poor need to be taught how to manage money, which can be done in a high school class. Get rid of the idea kids need to take Algebra II and put them in a Finance Math class. I did not learn how to calculate compound interest until college, I learned NOTHING about it in high school. Why? It is one of the most important lessons to create wealth for yourself.

Instead of "more education" teach people how to make use of what we have now! How many trades need new blood?

But too many people make too much money keeping an underclass and especially a black underclass, so things are never going to change. It will probably get worse after 2022 as after the midterms a white Democrat in the House will be a rare thing.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2021 at 8:17:44 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: AZDuffman
Not quite. Cramming "the poor" into college will not solve the problem. First, we need to keep explaining how to avoid being poor. For the I do not know how manyth time here:

1. Finish high school
2. No kids without being married
3. Wait until age 25 to get married

Stick to that and your chance of living in poverty falls to near zero. What do we have in black communities? 80% of kids born out of wedlock. Blacks being told they are "acting white" or "uncle toms" if they try to succeed in school. The thing is this is all internal from the black community! Of course Democrat politicians saying that a black cannot succeed without help does not hurt the cause.

The poor need to be taught how to manage money, which can be done in a high school class. Get rid of the idea kids need to take Algebra II and put them in a Finance Math class. I did not learn how to calculate compound interest until college, I learned NOTHING about it in high school. Why? It is one of the most important lessons to create wealth for yourself.

Instead of "more education" teach people how to make use of what we have now! How many trades need new blood?

But too many people make too much money keeping an underclass and especially a black underclass, so things are never going to change. It will probably get worse after 2022 as after the midterms a white Democrat in the House will be a rare thing.

Your "not quite" comment was unnecessary.

I did not say that I had all the answers. I said that liberal policies from the past have not fixed the problems and have created more of them. You put more depth to it, but you are mostly expanding on what I said.

Old ideas, especially ones that come with a check, did not fix the issues and left poor folks with more money and less incentive to leave poverty, Poor people of all colors. I am afraid some of the new ideas in the BBB plan will do the same thing--not fix anything and make government dependence even more of a way of life.

Poverty today often looks "nicer" than the poverty I saw in my youth (not everywhere, but in many places), but it is a trap of hopelessness.

Whatever the education is--trades, schools, colleges--we have to do it better or we will just have additional lost kids addicted to the government tit.
November 23rd, 2021 at 8:39:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I did not say that I had all the answers. I said that liberal policies from the past have not fixed the problems and have created more of them. You put more depth to it, but you are mostly expanding on what I said.

Old ideas, especially ones that come with a check, did not fix the issues and left poor folks with more money and less incentive to leave poverty, Poor people of all colors. I am afraid some of the new ideas in the BBB plan will do the same thing--not fix anything and make government dependence even more of a way of life.

Poverty today often looks "nicer" than the poverty I saw in my youth (not everywhere, but in many places), but it is a trap of hopelessness.

Whatever the education is--trades, schools, colleges--we have to do it better or we will just have additional lost kids addicted to the government tit.

My thing is saying "education" never works as it ends up meaning shove more kids who do not belong in college into college just to say you got more kids in college. In the end time and money are wasted but little accomplished. BBB is indeed going to be a huge disaster and our only hope is the GOP refuses to fund it next year.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2021 at 8:47:11 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

What we need is an old fashioned injection of work ethic. Your plan based on education just perpetuates the idea of not taking a 'starting job'. Poor old me if I only had a different upbringing I could get a good job. Once you have a job and make yourself valuable to your employer than raises and promotions will follow regardless of education. Education just gets in the way of many people starting their careers because they think they actually know something. I trained dozens of young people in a wide variety of trades and jobs, education level had little to do with success at their jobs.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 23rd, 2021 at 10:29:48 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: kenarman
What we need is an old fashioned injection of work ethic. Your plan based on education just perpetuates the idea of not taking a 'starting job'. Poor old me if I only had a different upbringing I could get a good job. Once you have a job and make yourself valuable to your employer than raises and promotions will follow regardless of education. Education just gets in the way of many people starting their careers because they think they actually know something. I trained dozens of young people in a wide variety of trades and jobs, education level had little to do with success at their jobs.

We need to get people educated to a basic level. I am not talking about free college or anything of the sort; I am talking about enough education to handle a basic job with a shot at going higher that that over time. That level of education is not happening in way too many cases and the crap students who have no desire to learn ruin it for those who do want to learn.

We do need people in the trades...but you have to learn how to think to do those, too. I have seen some tradespeople with low levels of official education, but they have to be able to think through issues. Our schools don't currently teach much of that...

Pay less for doing nothing and more for doing something and things will change!