Issue for the 2020s -- fertility rate

May 10th, 2022 at 12:38:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote:
AZD has been talking about falling fertility rate for years, but Elon Musk expressed his concern in a tweet and the world suddenly takes note!

Musk, who has previously voiced concern about global population collapse, was responding to government data showing that Japan’s population fell by a record 644,000 last year – the 11th consecutive year of decline. Japan’s population peaked in 2008 and had fallen to about 125 million by last year, despite government warnings about the effect on economic growth and occasional campaigns to encourage couples to have bigger families.

They listen to him just because he is a billionaire or something!
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2022 at 12:56:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
They listen to him just because he is a billionaire or something!

Hence the line from "If I was a rich man"
When you're rich, they think you really know!
August 18th, 2022 at 12:38:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Putin offers $16,000 reward, honorary title to Russian women who have 10 children

Russia is in big, big fertility trouble.
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2022 at 1:50:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
Russia is in big, big fertility trouble.

So is the USA, at least when it comes to white people.

As an example, my brother has three sons, two are married (none are gay) and all the boys and their wives have clearly stated they will not have children.

The women are career girls who don't want kids to interfere with their jobs.

They also question the wisdom of bringing new lives into the world at this time in history, and frankly I cannot blame them.

Humanity has shot its load, screwed up the planet royally, and deserves only a rapid extinction.
August 18th, 2022 at 1:57:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee

Yeah, that was kind of the whole point of the thread.

Quote:

They also question the wisdom of bringing new lives into the world at this time in history, and frankly I cannot blame them.

That one is a cop-out for people who are afraid to say they just do not want kids.
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2022 at 2:03:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

As an example, my brother has three sons, two are married (none are gay) and all the boys and their wives have clearly stated they will not have children.

The women are career girls who don't want kids to interfere with their jobs.

Humanity has shot its load, screwed up the planet royally, and deserves only a rapid extinction.

Some people use having babies as giving meaning to an otherwise uncaring world. Not saying either is right, but that's more or less the opposite perspective.
Life is awful, but this baby will be the center of it make me happy and purposeful.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 18th, 2022 at 2:06:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Some people use having babies as giving meaning to an otherwise uncaring world. Not saying either is right, but that's more or less the opposite perspective.
Life is awful, but this baby will be the center of it make me happy and purposeful.

Some people enjoy having kids. I do not make fun of them for it. IMHO one of the reasons we see unstable younger women is their bodies are expecting them to bear a child but they have not so their hormones go crazy. It happened years ago, when I did oil and gas research you were far more likely to see a woman committed to a mental facility than a male.
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2022 at 5:21:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I don't see why the time in history matters. I think having children is only an entertainment option. I don't know why we care if humanity ceases to exist. We are all irrelevant in the big picture and having children just seems to be some self fulfilling prophecy for most.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 19th, 2022 at 10:09:33 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
I don't see why the time in history matters.

Given the fact that it is instinctive to reproduce, it takes a compelling reason to overpower instinct; the threat of nuclear war and the immediate extinction of humanity at the hands of elected fools such as Trump or Putin tips the balance in favor of "forget about it."
August 19th, 2022 at 10:11:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Given the fact that it is instinctive to reproduce, it takes a compelling reason to overpower instinct; the threat of nuclear war and the immediate extinction of humanity at the hands of elected fools such as Trump or Putin tips the balance in favor of "forget about it."

Would that be the same Trump who was the first potus. Not to get us in a war in 40 years who you are claiming would start a nuclear war?
The President is a fink.