No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

January 3rd, 2020 at 11:19:45 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I don't see what makes one inherently more important than the other or what makes either important at all in the grand scheme of things. I don't know in what sense you are using the word, though.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:32:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146
I don't see what makes one inherently more important than the other or what makes either important at all in the grand scheme of things. I don't know in what sense you are using the word, though.

It just seems SW fans are really really
serious about the SW movies, like
they have some kind of important
meaning. Batman is just entertainment.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2020 at 11:37:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Star Wars is just entertainment, from my perspective. Granted, the movies have always attempted to espouse a few political and philosophical concepts, but not in a manner that I consider the most profound thing to ever exist. I agree that there are those who are borderline devout in their Star Wars fandom, but I'm not one of them. I don't even have any interest in Star Wars beyond the mainline (nine movies) series.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 6th, 2020 at 8:37:25 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Major spoilers below as it has been long enough.

Life-long Star Wars fan here and I really enjoyed the film on my first viewing. I suspect on repeat viewings my analytical, left-brain side will start to pick it apart a bit more and probably my enjoyment will decrease a bit. It has a lot of issues, but on a visceral level I just had fun.

I wish they had gone into at least a *TINY* amount of detail about Palpatine. Or just not included him in the story at all. From my younger days devouring every no-longer-canon Expanded Universe novel in existence, I was familiar with one option which would have involved Palpatine cloning himself (possibly many times). I think this would have sat better with me than the same physical human still existing somehow. I haven't read the NEW canon backstory on Palpatine's survival but I'm going to look it up now. Based on your comments, I'm assuming he just used the force to fly himself out of the Death Star II to safety before it exploded.

I wasn't as put off by the Leia stuff as you...the deep fake stuff is getting so much better so quickly that to me, I couldn't tell it was fake. Compared to young Leia at the end of Rogue One, which was bad and creepy. But I agree all-up, they should have just written her out.

I couldn't be more opposite Mission on my opinion of The Last Jedi, which I really hated and rank second from bottom on my own personal rankings (right above Episode I of course). This film felt like a return to form in some ways, although still a far cry from the original trilogy. I would probably rank it right around TFA on my all-time list of Star Wars films*.

The best part of the sequel trilogy is the Rey/Kylo relationship, and it paid off here. When they kissed at the end I almost cheered, and when he died I was legit really sad. Not the most surprising ending for him to turn to the light and then die just like Anakin, but at least he had a few scenes of kicking ass as a good guy again unlike gramps. I was glad we got to see the Knights of Ren, but I was surprised at their choice of weaponry. They are force users, right? Why no sabers? Whatevs.

*Never before published on this platform! EXCLUSIVE! AcesAndEights' all-time SW film rankings!

ANH/ESB**
Solo
ROTJ
TFA
TROS***
R1
AOTC
ROTS
TLJ
TPM

**It's hard to separate from the global hivemind here as ESB is generally regarded as the "best" out there. I might agree....or I might prefer ANH...hard to say. Both great, really great films.

***Pending a few more viewings.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 6th, 2020 at 9:33:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Thanks for the breakdown as well as your reply!

I definitely agree that there should have been exposition or a replacement of exposition on how exactly Palpatine came to be there, or not included him at all, preferably the latter. I was hoping for something of a completely new story with new backstories that would bring the whole thing together that we were essentially promised (granted, different director) in The Last Jedi.

I don't recall watching Rogue One. I maybe saw five minutes of it. I probably didn't see her.

I agree that the Kylo/Rey angle was expanded upon nicely and paid off well-enough. I will say that Kylo Ren swerves more than a professional wrestler involved in an angle with face and heel stables. As soon as we saw The Emperor, the turn itself to the light was not a surprise with the only mystery being the mechanism(s) by which that would occur. As far as Kylo Ren dying, I'm just glad someone who borderline mattered to the new incarnation (major characters who started Episode VII, or later) did. I thought for sure we would lose Poe or Finn as a payoff, but hell, they didn't even kill Rose.

I mean, Kylo started out on the Dark Side. He didn't, but I mean that's where he was when we were first introduced to him.

Mission146's Star Wars Rankings:

The Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones*
The Rise of Skywalker*

I refuse to officially include Episode I on the list. It's not good enough for last place. Better no Star Wars movie at all than THAT Star Wars movie.

*=Tied
January 6th, 2020 at 10:45:31 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I will NEVER understand the hate some people have for The Last Jedi.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 6th, 2020 at 11:03:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
But is it really THE END?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 3<123