The 2010s, a decade full of immense progress.

Page 1 of 91234>Last »
January 9th, 2020 at 6:18:55 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/very-lgbtq-decade-gay-marriage-trans-rights-rainbow-wave-n1107901

This is a great summary of the outstanding progress made in the 2010s.

There were of course some regressive events in others parts of the world. Some rising groups of extremists that do not have the right social views.

But, for the U.S. the 2010s were excellent for LGB rights. Gay marriage legalized on the federal level, Dont Ask Dont Tell repealed,
more politicans of both major parties openly supporting gay rights (perhaps conveniently riding the popularity wave in some cases, but nonetheless....)

America is now more equal than ever before in history. I think in the 2020s the key is to now start spreading the message of Secular Western Values to the rest of the world.

I am an optimist and I think the 2020s will be a period of vast continued improvement. The world is getting better despite the overwhelming negative news, and I think positivity will continue to expand.
January 10th, 2020 at 3:53:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/very-lgbtq-decade-gay-marriage-trans-rights-rainbow-wave-n1107901

This is a great summary of the outstanding progress made in the 2010s.

There were of course some regressive events in others parts of the world. Some rising groups of extremists that do not have the right social views.

But, for the U.S. the 2010s were excellent for LGB rights. Gay marriage legalized on the federal level, Dont Ask Dont Tell repealed,
more politicans of both major parties openly supporting gay rights (perhaps conveniently riding the popularity wave in some cases, but nonetheless....)

America is now more equal than ever before in history. I think in the 2020s the key is to now start spreading the message of Secular Western Values to the rest of the world.

I am an optimist and I think the 2020s will be a period of vast continued improvement. The world is getting better despite the overwhelming negative news, and I think positivity will continue to expand.

I guess if you are gay it was a good decade, for the rest of us not so much. Lost our right to choose the health insurance we wanted for one example.

I have been and continue to predict the 2020s to be awful, a violent decade. The 2010s saw more and more Balkanization of the USA. Identity politics has gotten to be more and more. Remember how Hillary basically admitted she was writing off the White vote and the Dem strategy will to be hope all minorities block vote like Blacks and "demographics is destiny?" You think that stops there?

The west is starting to see decline. Europe and Japan are dying out and this trend will get bigger and bigger as time goes on. The USA is not as far down that line, but by 2029 will be where Europe is today. The west is also going broke, major countries selling their gold stocks to not great nations in regards to western values. If the USD collapses or loses reserve status the west is toast.

China's run is near a peak. She will be old and gray in population soon, and her dieout may be lightening speed as 1 child is now normal and accepted.

May you live in interesting times.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2020 at 9:43:59 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
I guess if you are gay it was a good decade, for the rest of us not so much. Lost our right to choose the health insurance we wanted for one example.

I have been and continue to predict the 2020s to be awful, a violent decade. The 2010s saw more and more Balkanization of the USA. Identity politics has gotten to be more and more. Remember how Hillary basically admitted she was writing off the White vote and the Dem strategy will to be hope all minorities block vote like Blacks and "demographics is destiny?" You think that stops there?

The west is starting to see decline. Europe and Japan are dying out and this trend will get bigger and bigger as time goes on. The USA is not as far down that line, but by 2029 will be where Europe is today. The west is also going broke, major countries selling their gold stocks to not great nations in regards to western values. If the USD collapses or loses reserve status the west is toast.

China's run is near a peak. She will be old and gray in population soon, and her dieout may be lightening speed as 1 child is now normal and accepted.

May you live in interesting times.

Japan is actually doing well because they have a strict immigration policy based on culture (it's hard for a non Japense person to move there and become a citizen), this has kept their culture stronger than many Western countries which embrace diversity (not saying diversity is bad, but there needs to be a central identity).

However, violence is actually decreasing, people are living longer. Overall things are improving.

I agree about racial identity politicts, it is a sad state of affairs. Sadly that seems to be a requirement to do well in the Democratic Party, at least on a national level, which is a shame.
January 10th, 2020 at 10:43:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't see why any decade should be known by its impact on a minority.
January 10th, 2020 at 11:00:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Japan is actually doing well because they have a strict immigration policy based on culture (it's hard for a non Japense person to move there and become a citizen), this has kept their culture stronger than many Western countries which embrace diversity (not saying diversity is bad, but there needs to be a central identity).

However, violence is actually decreasing, people are living longer. Overall things are improving.

I agree about racial identity politicts, it is a sad state of affairs. Sadly that seems to be a requirement to do well in the Democratic Party, at least on a national level, which is a shame.

I agree on Japan immigration. Koreans can sometimes fake it but the rest are effectively transients. But Japan is dying out. Not having kids. Declining population. They are not going extinct. But their time in the sun is over.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2020 at 4:40:58 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't see why any decade should be known by its impact on a minority.
I guess if you are gay it was a good decade, for the rest of us not so much.
+1,000 to both!

When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking it might be about something consequential. Then I laughed when I saw it's about something that applies to only 2% of the population. Hell, there are more people who believe in UFOs than there are gay people. 😂😂

I have been and continue to predict the 2020s to be awful, a violent decade. The 2010s saw more and more Balkanization of the USA. Identity politics has gotten to be more and more.

Yep, out of all the things he could have said about the past decade, isn't it amazing that he picked the least important issue of all? Forcing your definition of marriage on others is NOT "immense progress". I mean, c'mon man......smh

BTW, isn't it ironic that he wants to be friendly with Iran, a country that executes gays???
I swear, libbies have such messed up priorities man. 🙄
January 10th, 2020 at 4:54:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Shrek
....BTW, isn't it ironic that he wants to be friendly with Iran, a country that executes gays???
I swear, libbies have such messed up priorities man. 🙄
How long have gays had full rights in America?

Gay is illegal in Iran but their government healthcare does pay for sex reassignment surgery. https://qz.com/889548/everyone-treated-me-like-a-saint-in-iran-theres-only-one-way-to-survive-as-a-transgender-person/

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ayatollah's were as frequently gay as priests.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 10th, 2020 at 4:59:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: petroglyph

Gay is illegal in Iran but their government healthcare does pay for sex reassignment surgery. https://qz.com/889548/everyone-treated-me-like-a-saint-in-iran-theres-only-one-way-to-survive-as-a-transgender-person/

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ayatollah's were as frequently gay as priests.

Before 10 years ago not many rights....

That is why the decade has been so good.....
January 10th, 2020 at 5:15:37 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph

For as long as I can remember. I don't know why, but libbies always act like gays were treated like slaves.

Regarding gay marriage, gay men always had the right to marry the same set of people that straight men could marry. The law treated everyone totally equal.
January 10th, 2020 at 5:28:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Shrek
For as long as I can remember. I don't know why, but libbies always act like gays were treated like slaves.

Regarding gay marriage, gay men always had the right to marry the same set of people that straight men could marry. The law treated everyone totally equal.

Come on, Shrek.... Libbies never felt gays were treated like slaves, just denied the right to marry an adult they love. You define 'equal' as being able to marry a person of the opposite gender, I would define 'equal' as being able to marry any adult you want to.

You can argue the reasons you are not for legal gay marriage, but saying a gay man can marry any woman he wants to is a silly argument.
Page 1 of 91234>Last »