Voting

January 16th, 2020 at 10:26:24 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Why is party affiliation included on voting ballots?

It really bothers me that some people vote only on party affiliation. My thoughts are you should not vote for a person if you are not educated about their personal platforms. Remove party affiliation from ballots.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 16th, 2020 at 10:38:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

It really bothers me that some people vote only on party affiliation. My thoughts are you should not vote for a person if you are not educated about their personal platforms. Remove party affiliation from ballots.

Not quite sure what you are talking about. It doesn’t bother me. It bothers me more that we think the more uninformed lazy voters the better.

If you mean straight ticket voting again so what.
The President is a fink.
January 16th, 2020 at 11:03:34 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I am ok with Party affiliation on ballots
For a lot of people, party determines their vote
If they want to vote like that, its their right
Its a tough world out there to make a living. Some people don't have time for all the political BS in this country. For most people, politics is meaningless.
These people should still have the right to vote
An educated voter should not have more voting power then a person that does not keep up and just votes party line.
Say a single woman with kids and works. She has a very busy life. Probably does not pay attention to politics. Her vote should count as much as a voter that has tons of free time and uses it to follow politics.

I actually worked with a hard core republican. She was actually upset that a fellow employee that had a lot of kids and did not pay attention to politics had the right to vote. I was pretty shocked at her attitude. She reasoned that she listens to Rush everyday so she knows whats going on and should have the right to vote. She felt that if the mother of many children should neglect her children and listen to Rush so she votes "correctly"
I stopped talking to this crazy republican
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2020 at 11:17:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Heh, I’d guess even without party affiliation there’s plenty of votes cast that reflect little more than some random picking. Or maybe they just have one candidate or issue they’re really interested in, but still fill in the rest of the ballot instead of leaving it blank.

I’ll read summaries of some local candidates and still don’t think I know enough. Sometimes, I just note red flags, like a Sheriff candidate was caught doing something stupid.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 16th, 2020 at 11:47:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I guess I am just saying that to me a vote for someone is personal, and I expect that person to continue to follow the beliefs they represent. I have never voted for any politican unless I was familiar with their platform. If you are voting for someone just on party and don't know much about them how can you be sure they represent the majority of your views? Just because I see a candidate listed as a Democrat and I vote for them it may turn out that they are Pro-Life and not Pro-Choice which may be my biggest issue of concern.

I think the party designation can be misleading and shouldn't be included on the ballot.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 16th, 2020 at 1:57:50 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think the party designation can be misleading and shouldn't be included on the ballot.
Misleading? Or Meaningless?
Politicians don't always believe in all issues on party platforms, politicians often jump parties.
A certain Red Flag issue is often irrelevant, such as a gubernatorial candidate being hounded to make a Death Penalty statement when there is absolutely no prisoner facing execution in the next four years and the issue pales in significance to what he will spend 90% of his time doing.
January 16th, 2020 at 3:34:51 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I saw this thread and thought it would be about this tweet from Florida’s dumbass governor:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 16th, 2020 at 4:26:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I guess I am just saying that to me a vote for someone is personal, and I expect that person to continue to follow the beliefs they represent. I have never voted for any politican unless I was familiar with their platform. If you are voting for someone just on party and don't know much about them how can you be sure they represent the majority of your views? Just because I see a candidate listed as a Democrat and I vote for them it may turn out that they are Pro-Life and not Pro-Choice which may be my biggest issue of concern.

I can say I have seen whenever Democrats take charge the same awful playbook is run every time every place. NY is currently learning that the hard way. No
Need to “get to know them” as they are interchangeable. Thus if I do not like the GOPPOL I just don’t vote.
The President is a fink.
January 17th, 2020 at 3:36:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I can say I have seen whenever Democrats take charge the same awful playbook is run every time every place. NY is currently learning that the hard way. No
Need to “get to know them” as they are interchangeable. Thus if I do not like the GOPPOL I just don’t vote.

I think it could matter, even in your case. He’d be Republican Senator Joe Manchin in probably 25+ other states, for example.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 17th, 2020 at 3:58:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
I think it could matter, even in your case. He’d be Republican Senator Joe Manchin in probably 25+ other states, for example.

It will not matter if I vote or if on the way to the polls that black Econoline that has been following me for weeks now scoops me up and puts me on that island for people who know too much but are too smart to just exterminate. I would be living as a prisoner but in relative comfort. Yet my not showing to vote would not be noticed.
The President is a fink.