No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

February 6th, 2020 at 4:38:59 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
Trader Joe's This Fig Walks Into a Bar Cereal Bars (low fat) $12.99 for 7.9 ounces (or $1.65 per counce)
Nabisco Fig Newtons Chewy Cookies $10.51 for 48 ounces (or $0.21 per counce)
Turkish figs are about 45 cents per ounce (retail)

Trader Joe's bars are very expensive. They should be able to afford any fig they want.

I don't know what those are that you are talking about. I'm talking about this product for $1.99:

https://eatingatjoes.com/2015/07/23/trader-joes-turkish-fig-bites/

ADDED: This ProfoundJester's review does not like them as much as Nabisco Fig Newton's for the same reason I like the Trader Joe's ones more. I think the Fig Newton's have too much fruit in them and, therefore, are too sweet.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 7th, 2020 at 5:38:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: gamerfreak
I like the strawberry Newton’s but I guess thats not a fig bar.

Fig Newtons No Longer Exist. They're Just Newtons Now.

In 2012, Nabisco, decided to drop the "Fig" in "Fig Newton." Nabisco dropped the "Fig" in part because the brand had long sold other flavors, such as Strawberry. Nabisco also shed the "Fig" to stay relevant and appeal to a wider audience. Jeff Hilton, co-founder of an advertising agency called Integrated Marketing Group, told The New York Times that people associate figs, like prunes, with old people, which isn't exactly a selling point.

Recipe for Bob

Makes about 30 two-inch cookies
For the cookie dough

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Zest of one orange

For the fig filling
1 pound dried figs, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup water

Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the egg, vanilla, and orange zest and beat until combined. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well blended. Scoop the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disc, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine the figs and water in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and allow the water to boil until the figs have absorbed it. Transfer the figs to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is completely smooth.

Preheat the oven to 325? F. Place a large piece of parchment on your work surface and flour it liberally. Divide the chilled dough into 4 pieces, place one piece on the parchment, and return the other 3 to the refrigerator.

Shape the piece of dough into a rectangle, then roll the dough, stopping frequently to make sure it isn't sticking to the parchment, into a long rectangle (about 4 inches wide by 12 inches long). Be vigilant about lifting and reflouring the dough as you roll to prevent sticking.

Scoop the fig filling into a pastry bag or a plastic zip-top bag with one corner cut off. Pipe the filling in a 1-inch strip down the center of the dough rectangle. Fold one side of the dough over the filling, then the other. Press down on the seam to close it.

Using the parchment, flip the cookie roll over, seam-side down. Transfer it gingerly to a baking sheet and refrigerate while you repeat this step with the other 3 pieces of dough. Bake the logs of dough for about 16 minutes or until the dough is no longer tacky and has begun to brown around the edges.

While the cookie rolls are still warm, cut them into 1 1/2- to 2-inch cookies. Immediately place the cookies in a single layer inside a plastic zip-top bag and close the bag. This seems counterintuitive, but in order to keep the cookies soft, like the real thing, they need to steam.

Cool the cookies completely. Remove them from the bags and place in an airtight container. They can be kept, at room temperature, for up to 2 weeks.
February 16th, 2020 at 9:39:53 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Thanks for the thread.

I went grocery shopping this morning and bought two small plastic packages of California Mountain Figs. But for the horizon-broadening aspects of this thread, I would probably never have even noticed then much less actually purchased them.
Page 3 of 3<123