roundabouts

Page 2 of 4<1234>
January 31st, 2020 at 7:09:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

That recent incident where 20 people were killed in a limo accident might have been prevented with a roundabout. I would favor fairly lightweight breakaway sculptures in the center that can be easily seen, but don't become a hazard themselves.

January 31st, 2020 at 8:20:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I like them when they are one lane and really dislike a busy one that has multiple lanes
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 31st, 2020 at 10:13:33 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AcesAndEights
Call 'em whatever,...

"Looptyvrooms"

They started around here and it's a revelation. 2 min stops turned into pauses at most, and it greatly lessens curb hopping with a trailer. Fun at 2a in the snow, too =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 31st, 2020 at 12:13:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There is one traffic roundy that I'm aware of in Wickenburg Az. It can be hateful. It's placed at the juncture of two slowish highways and the end of a city street, with cross state semi traffic entering with mom and pop's going into Mickey D's. Slow down, speed up clustertruck.

On the other hand, here in Havasu, I have never encountered a town with so many 4 way stops. It's aggravating in the winter with so many visitors, many thinking they are traffic cops and thinking also they are being polite by waiting for someone who's turn, that it is not, to go first. Then crinking one finger at me across a seventy ft. intersection in low light. baahh

But in summer when it is locals only, these 4 way intersections are a symphony of how traffic should move through an intersection. It doesn't care what time of day, or night, or weekend. They move an amazing amount of vehicles in short order. Being polite, can actually mean just going when it's your turn, versus screwing up the legal order that vehicles should move in, and who has the right of way.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 31st, 2020 at 3:26:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
There is one traffic roundy that I'm aware of in Wickenburg Az. It can be hateful. It's placed at the juncture of two slowish highways and the end of a city street, with cross state semi traffic entering with mom and pop's going into Mickey D's. Slow down, speed up clustertruck.

On the other hand, here in Havasu, I have never encountered a town with so many 4 way stops. It's aggravating in the winter with so many visitors, many thinking they are traffic cops and thinking also they are being polite by waiting for someone who's turn, that it is not, to go first. Then crinking one finger at me across a seventy ft. intersection in low light. baahh

But in summer when it is locals only, these 4 way intersections are a symphony of how traffic should move through an intersection. It doesn't care what time of day, or night, or weekend. They move an amazing amount of vehicles in short order. Being polite, can actually mean just going when it's your turn, versus screwing up the legal order that vehicles should move in, and who has the right of way.

Four way stops are good for quiet streets. But, for busy streets with constant flow from every lane, it can be a nightmare. Roundabouts are far better for constant traffic flow, as generally traffic does not need to fully stop, and there is no confusion over whose turn it is. As you say it only takes one oblivious or impatient driver to ruin the whole flow and turn on a lot of anger.

A good way to look at how terrible people are at 4 way stops, drive in a city when the power resets and all major intersection flash red (effectively making them an all way stop), when there are multiple lanes in each direction and several turning lanes, nobody knows what to do and either stops way too long or does not stop at all.
February 1st, 2020 at 11:24:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin

This intersection is the most dangerous one in Nevada. Two eight lane highways intersect and it is on the municipal boundary of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas. The intersection is made much worse because of the numerous fast food places that enter into the highways very nearby.

Where is it?
December 5th, 2020 at 6:04:44 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55195390
Undersea roundabout
Incredible
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 5th, 2020 at 6:07:08 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin

This intersection is the most dangerous one in Nevada. Two eight lane highways intersect and it is on the municipal boundary of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas. The intersection is made much worse because of the numerous fast food places that enter into the highways very nearby.

Where is it?

Where is it?
I'm here
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 5th, 2020 at 7:36:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined

Where is it?
I'm here

Cheyenne and Rancho with the previous photo looking East on Cheyenne.

Same interesection after a crash.

KLAS Tv: Pedestrian hit at Cheyenne and Rancho following burglary

A study in mid 2014 yielded
Cheyenne and Rancho with twelve crashes in six months
Rainbow and Desert Inn with ten crashes in six months
Nellis and Washington with nine crashes in six months
Rainbow and Sahara with eight crashes in six months
Christy and Charleston with eight crashes in six months
December 5th, 2020 at 8:19:26 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin

A study in mid 2014 yielded
Cheyenne and Rancho with twelve crashes in six months
Rainbow and Desert Inn with ten crashes in six months
Nellis and Washington with nine crashes in six months
Rainbow and Sahara with eight crashes in six months
Christy and Charleston with eight crashes in six months

None close to me
thanks
In South Vegas
Page 2 of 4<1234>