February 5th, 2020 at 3:19:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
But cigars are
bad because you get some
smoke in your lungs, it's
impossible not to.

Chances are his upper respiratory tract still had constant exposure to smoke even after he quit deep inhaling of cigarettes. Wouldn't surprise me if the cancer originated in that area.

Had he started chewing tobacco for a couple years instead, he at least would have stopped the lung exposure to smoke for a couple years. Might have saved him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2020 at 4:20:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"If you smoke cigars, you have 4 to 10 times the risk
of dying from cancer compared to a nonsmoker."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2020 at 4:33:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" zh
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 5th, 2020 at 5:02:03 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Chances are his upper respiratory tract still had constant exposure to smoke even after he quit deep inhaling of cigarettes. Wouldn't surprise me if the cancer originated in that area.

Had he started chewing tobacco for a couple years instead, he at least would have stopped the lung exposure to smoke for a couple years. Might have saved him.

I have long been an advocate of smokeless tobacco.

Smokeless saves lives. Yes, you increase your risk of oral cancer and gum disease (but so does smoking, plus many more risks....)

The FDA recently approved snus (tobacco that is pasteurized instead of fermented, and is spit free, it goes in the upper lip instead of the traditional dip placement) as a reduced risk tobacco product. This is one of the best moves regarding tobacco the FDA has made in recent years.

Smokeless tobacco is illegal in the EU with the exception of Sweden (snus's home) and the lung cancer rates in Sweden are far lower when comparing overall tobacco consumption.

When I was in college I used to order from Sweden online before it was banned for the USPS to mail tobacco products. There are some really good snus products, including ones that whiten your teeth and are infused with caffeine (to give you a nicotine and caffeine kick simitainsly). Some really good flavors as well. Now there are cans sold in gas stations (often in the fridge behind the counter) and some American snuff companies (like Skoal) are making snus products. Camel also makes a snus.

Snus is the best option for safer tobacco consumption, and the fact that the FDA would label a tobacco product as reduced risk (unheard of before this) shows a lot for the merit of smokeless tobacco.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:11:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I have long been an advocate of smokeless tobacco.

Smokeless saves lives. Yes, you increase your risk of oral cancer and gum disease (but so does smoking, plus many more risks....)

Snuff is one of the most disgusting habits I can think of. It was huge when I was in high school, disgusting then. Wrestler roommates used it in college to drop weight. Disgusting then.

I didn't need the warnings, repulsed by it.
The President is a fink.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:16:08 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
Snuff is one of the most disgusting habits I can think of. It was huge when I was in high school, disgusting then. Wrestler roommates used it in college to drop weight. Disgusting then.

Yeah when I was a senior in high school it became a fad for everyone to dip.

Its super common in the military as well.

Disgusting I agree. But, safer than smoking.

Also, I like snus because it is spit free and discrete.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:23:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Yeah when I was a senior in high school it became a fad for everyone to dip.

Its super common in the military as well.

Disgusting I agree. But, safer than smoking.

Also, I like snus because it is spit free and discrete.

Safer than smoking I would say depends on what you mean as "safe." Smoking does not destroy your mouth. Heard of snus, know little since I can see no reason any sane person born since 1965 or so would take up tobacco in any way, shape, or form.
The President is a fink.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:37:14 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

I agree dip is nasty, but it’s much different than Snus, which is still gross but 100x less than dip or chew. I had a roommate in college who had a serious dipping habit and left his spit bottles laying around everywhere. Repulsive.

The cancer risk from tobacco is all a function of how much you consume. Studies have shown that something like 1 cigar a day does not lead to any significant risk of cancer. I will smoke 1 or 2 a week in the summer months.

The problem is that nicotine feels so darn good, and tolerance builds so quickly that you need to consume more and more to get the same fix.

Nicotine in and of itself is harmless. In fact studies have shown that it can have positive effects on the brain. It’s the inhalation of burning tobacco that wreaks havoc on the body.

I enjoy chewing nicotine gum quite a bit while working, but fortunately I have very little addictive tendencies. I will chew through a pack and then not even think about it for several weeks until I order more off amazon.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:42:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I postulate that many smokers would choose to die earlier than not enjoy their vices. I know I would, I don't understand the fascination of living longer.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2020 at 5:42:37 PM permalink
Gandler
Safer than smoking I would say depends on what you mean as "safe." Smoking does not destroy your mouth. Heard of snus, know little since I can see no reason any sane person born since 1965 or so would take up tobacco in any way, shape, or form.

I was very careful with my working I said "safer" , not "safe " no tobacco or nicotine product is 100% safe.

The FDA labelled snus as a reduced risk product, again unheard of, and after much research and testing, so it is not just me saying I think its safer because I like it (which I do)....

I like stimulants, caffeine, and nicotine. Nicotine is one of the most pleasurable feelings there is without intoxicating you. It allows you to work for hours on end without going crazy. I am not advocating people start who don't use tobacco. But, if you use tobacco switch to snus (The FDA agrees).
Page 4 of 18<1234567>Last »