No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

February 28th, 2020 at 2:03:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Our government already offers all available options for the various Flu varieties. The difference is, if you choose not to partake of them, that's your fault.

In fact, if a serious variation of the flu starts spreading that we don't have any treatment for, the government will act the same way it is acting here.

We're not yet in that position with covid-19.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 28th, 2020 at 2:17:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Ask yourself if the scaremongering has actually affected your life.

What the heck does that even mean? That if I am not affected by some problem, it doesn't matter. Well, I don't know anyone killed in terrorism, and I don't know anyone in killed in airplane terrorism. Let's just go back to airplane security, where no bags or people are searched, and you can walk right into the cockpit and put a loaded gun to the pilots head. Yeah, and immigrants haven't affected me either. So your wall is out.

Without modification it's a silly question.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 28th, 2020 at 2:32:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
What the heck does that even mean? That if I am not affected by some problem, it doesn't matter. Well, I don't know anyone killed in terrorism, and I don't know anyone in killed in airplane terrorism. Let's just go back to airplane security, where no bags or people are searched, and you can walk right into the cockpit and put a loaded gun to the pilots head. Yeah, and immigrants haven't affected me either. So your wall is out.

Without modification it's a silly question.

It means you probably cannot name a negative effect you have experienced. It’s just a bug you will forget by summer.
The President is a fink.
February 28th, 2020 at 2:47:35 PM permalink
rxwine
One of the biggest problems of the success of anti-smoking campaign, is in a future when 98% of the public has no memory of all the cancer of the 50/607y0s, and see anti-cancer messages as overreaction or even bogus.

Looks like we've gone that way with plagues and so forth in the US. People shrug and say, what's the big deal. I've never experienced it as a problem yet with these things as if that's wise words.
February 28th, 2020 at 2:54:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Ironically, success of vaccines in our country has been successful enough, they can only see the tiny tip of possible vaccine problems, having no idea of what they gained instead when they start wanting to opt out.
February 28th, 2020 at 4:01:08 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
It’s just a bug you will forget by summer.

You sound extremely confident in your prediction.

I'm not saying you're incorrect; perhaps this virus will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

But unless someone has a background in epidemiology, their predictions are just as accurate as a hunch at a roulette wheel.

February 28th, 2020 at 4:12:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

By “anti vaccine” do you mean he is keeping people from getting vaxed? Or just allowing my body my choice freedom?

I mean he has stated that vax causes autism. Several times. Years after the fraudulent report was debunked.

Quote: AZD
What science is Pence denying?

From memory, he's a climate denying creationist that thinks gays can be "converted" and that smoking kills no one. God only knows what I'd find if I looked into him, but fortunately this alone is enough to convict.

Quote: AZD
How can a new disease “regularly kill tens of thousands?”

Transmittable, virulent pathogens are hardly "new". The common cold alone kills hundreds of Americans a year. The flu, tens of thousands.

Put it all together and what do we have? What we have is a disease serious enough that it has closed travel and school of entire countries, and to combat it we have a guy who thinks vax causes autism and windmills cause cancer, who has leadership skills that compel him to Sharpie NOAA maps to reflect his delusions and STILL has 2/3rds of Puerto Rico without power, who has fired the pandemic response leaders from the CDC 2yrs ago and never replaced them, brought back 14 Covid positive Americans out of quartering, sent an unprepared team to investigate them before staying in a public hotel and flying commercial back home, fired the whistle blower who brought all this to attention, and then put Pence in charge, who does not believe in evolution and therefore cannot comprehend viruses, and further caused a mini-epidemic in his own state when his Puritan ways caused a spike in HIV cases, a disease we've known about for 40yrs.

And you say "<100 deaths, thank god for Trump".

This post brought to you by Bernie's free education for all.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 28th, 2020 at 4:23:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I mean he has stated that vax causes autism. Several times. Years after the fraudulent report was debunked.

Good for him. How many pages of warnings and side effects come with the vax? You cannot put something like that in your body without having side effects.

Quote:
From memory, he's a climate denying creationist that thinks gays can be "converted" and that smoking kills no one. God only knows what I'd find if I looked into him, but fortunately this alone is enough to convict.

Climate denying? Meaning he doesn't just buy into the people pushing an agenda that somehow always makes the people pushing it rich? As to "creationist" when you can tell me how life came from no life I will join you in condemning him. Until then involvement of a higher power makes a ton of sense. You vote to convict, I vote to acquit.

Quote:
Transmittable, virulent pathogens are hardly "new". The common cold alone kills hundreds of Americans a year. The flu, tens of thousands.

So, IOW, this is just another virus?

Quote:
Put it all together and what do we have? What we have is a disease serious enough that it has closed travel and school of entire countries, and to combat it we have a guy who thinks vax causes autism and windmills cause cancer, who has leadership skills that compel him to Sharpie NOAA maps to reflect his delusions and STILL has 2/3rds of Puerto Rico without power, who has fired the pandemic response leaders from the CDC 2yrs ago and never replaced them, brought back 14 Covid positive Americans out of quartering, sent an unprepared team to investigate them before staying in a public hotel and flying commercial back home, fired the whistle blower who brought all this to attention, and then put Pence in charge, who does not believe in evolution and therefore cannot comprehend viruses, and further caused a mini-epidemic in his own state when his Puritan ways caused a spike in HIV cases, a disease we've known about for 40yrs.p

See, I stopped reading when you blame Trump for Puerto Rico. The place where they found warehouses full of supplies not delivered because the pols would rather play to the hate Trump crowd.

I am very happy we have a capable leader like Pence in charge of it all. Though I would be happier if more of the message is to remain calm and not buy the hype of the doomsayers who actually hope it gets bad so they can blame Trump.
The President is a fink.
February 29th, 2020 at 12:39:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saner minds are finally weighing in:

The overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively. The vast majority of patients recover, and among those who are hospitalized, the median stay thus far is 12 days. Those who have died have been elderly or were already suffering from another illness — as with ordinary flu. The underlying data suggest that the symptoms varies, and fewer than one in six of the cases reported were “severe.” New England Journal of Medicine
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 29th, 2020 at 2:08:47 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Face

Not 'anti-vax'. He was a vaccine sceptic in 2007, as were a lot of people. "When I was growing up, autism wasn't really a factor," "And now all of a sudden, it's an epidemic … My theory is the shots. We're giving these massive injections at one time, and I really think it does something to the children."

In 2015, he stated “I am totally in favor of vaccines, but I want smaller doses over a longer period of time”

During the measles outbreaks in 2019, he stated “They have to get the shots. The vaccinations are so important,” “This is really going around now. They have to get their shots.”

No MMR Link JAMA

9 month old McDowell triplets become autistic within hours of receiving pneumococcal vaccine.

Current rate of autism is 1 in 59 children.

It may be due to under reporting, small sample, or study bias, but the rate of autism among the Amish, who do not receive as many vaccines was reported in a 2010 University of Vanderbilt study as 1 in 271. One in 10,000 according to this article.