1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 7th, 2021 at 1:03:17 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
No way
Look at Taiwan
Just a few deaths, probably still single figures, as opposed to the USA which has to use 6 figures

The figures you quote are basically correct. I don't believe that the CDC is lying about what there studies have found, I would expect they would be more likely want to show that masks were effective. This means that something else is going on in Taiwan to explain the huge difference other than masks. Your assumption about masks are not upheld by the studies. It is your country what else is happening there that might explain it. Some studies are not showing much stronger natural immunity among Asians and the thought is that they may have experienced viruses very similar to Covid19 in the past that have left some T cell protection.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 7th, 2021 at 1:32:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
It is your country what else is happening there that might explain it..

See text near end. Our enforcements are toothless for individuals for the most part.

Quote:
On Nov. 18, Minister of Health and Welfare and CECC head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) announced that starting Dec. 1, masks will be mandatory in eight categories of places, including healthcare facilities, public transportation, places of consumption, places of learning, sports and exhibition venues, entertainment venues, houses of worship, and offices and business venues. Chen said that those who fail to wear masks in these contexts and do not heed requests to do so will face fines of between NT$3,000 (US$105) and NT$15,000 for violating the "Communicable Disease Control Act" (傳染病防治法).

Here, people just argue back forth.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 7th, 2021 at 2:34:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: fleaswatter

P.S. The little menace, the goalpost moving, flip-flopping, facist, Fauci, must go away

Sad
The only Dr Trumpers respect is Dr Seuss
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 7th, 2021 at 3:40:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Sad

Not true, we respected Dr. Kevorkian.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 8th, 2021 at 4:17:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Sad

lol that’s a good one.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 8th, 2021 at 10:26:09 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
The figures you quote are basically correct. I don't believe that the CDC is lying about what there studies have found, I would expect they would be more likely want to show that masks were effective. This means that something else is going on in Taiwan to explain the huge difference other than masks. Your assumption about masks are not upheld by the studies. It is your country what else is happening there that might explain it. Some studies are not showing much stronger natural immunity among Asians and the thought is that they may have experienced viruses very similar to Covid19 in the past that have left some T cell protection.

I read that is likely true about sub Saharan Africa, and India as well. ironically, it could be the USA's avoiding many pathogens that put us at increased risk to COVID-19. I think AZ can jump on this one!
March 8th, 2021 at 3:15:12 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
New CDC guidance:

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask.

You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.

However, if you live in a group setting (like a correctional or detention facility or group home) and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still stay away from others for 14 days and get tested, even if you don’t have symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

I wonder if the little menace, flip-flopping fascist Fauci will now "change his tune".
Let's go Brandon
March 8th, 2021 at 4:47:08 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Numbers in the new CDC report destroy the case for mask mandates

CDC report here

From the CDC report:

During March 1–December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. counties. Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation

Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage point decrease in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation.

Hmmmmmm, I am not against masks but is their benefit overblown?

P.S. The little menace, the goalpost moving, flip-flopping, facist, Fauci, must go away

They are not talking about a total reduction. They are citing a change in daily growth rate meaning the increase in numbers over the previous day (day after day). Daily growth rate is the exponent in exponential growth, kinda like compound interest. I don't know what it translates to in reduced deaths and cases but 0.5 to 2.0% decrease in rate looks pretty big to me.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 8th, 2021 at 9:25:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Been saying that since day one and people here
know it. He's nothing but a political hack. He did
get one thing right. From the get-go he said
masks didn't work and were not worth wearing.
He did a total 180 when it became a political
tool. I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 9th, 2021 at 12:28:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Fauci really gets many of the righties panties in a bunch.

I haven't heard of anyone with similar credentials and experience criticizing his performance which would at least give it some merit.

Quote:
Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the National Institutes of Health. Since his appointment as NIAID director in 1984, Dr. Fauci has overseen an extensive research portfolio devoted to preventing, diagnosing, and treating infectious and immune-mediated diseases. Dr. Fauci also is chief of the NIAID Laboratory of Immunoregulation, where he has made numerous important discoveries related to HIV/AIDS and is one of the most-cited scientists in the field. Dr. Fauci serves as one of the key advisors to the White House and Department of Health and Human Services on global AIDS issues, and on initiatives to bolster medical and public health preparedness against emerging infectious disease threats such as pandemic influenza. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), which has already been responsible for saving millions of lives throughout the developing world. Dr. Fauci is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and has received numerous awards, including the National Medal of Science, the Mary Woodard Lasker Award for Public Service, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He has been awarded 38 honorary doctoral degrees and is the author, coauthor, or editor of more than 1,200 scientific publications, including several major textbooks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?