No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 13th, 2020 at 5:16:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Instead of worrying about a virus that has not infected anyone they know people should worry about what freedoms the government will take from them using the virus as an excuse.

Still think everyone will have forgotten about this by May? lol
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 13th, 2020 at 5:27:14 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
This is what happens when you ship your factories and supply side to China, as we’ve been doing for the past 25 years. They make 80-90% of our antibiotics, and they’re threatening to cut off our supply.

Eight days ago, an article in Xinhua, the state run Chinese media agency said:

"Be bold: the world owes China a thank you", if China imposes restrictions on pharmaceutical exports, US will be "plunged into the mighty sea of coronavirus".

Related:

WAPO

NYT
March 13th, 2020 at 6:05:09 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Still think everyone will have forgotten about this by May? lol

There is no chance that everyone will "forget" about it by May; there is a good chance we will be figuring out a kind of "new normal" by then. All of the current actions--no large groups, social distancing, grocery store panic, etc.--will need to be tempered by reasonable attempts to control the spread of the virus. If at some point relatively soon life does not start to go on, we will be in an epic economic failure which will lead to more deaths from suicide and other causes than the virus ends up causing.

We can't "shut down" America for 18 months until an immunization comes out. We need to figure out a logical way to move forward. No, I don't want millions to die...I don't want anyone to die, of course. The issues is that we don't need millions unemployed and all of the other fallout from closing everything.
March 13th, 2020 at 6:27:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
There is no chance that everyone will "forget" about it by May;

No kidding
Dumbest prediction ever by a right wing member on this website
Things will change in this country
More and more people will work from home
Universities will transition to online
Business travel will never recover to the levels it once was
I'm prepared to lose my job. Just waiting for the lay off lists and see if my name is on it
My company is currently looking at yesterdays company wide survey results regarding accepting reduced hours and furloughs.

WTF is going on with the tests
I saw this coming in Jan while Trump and Fox was claiming this was all a hoax
The only way to get a handle on this problem is to test test test so we know exactly what we are up against
South Korea tests 10k a day. Its embarrassing that a country that small is testing way more then we are
What a clusterf**k. This did not happen overnight, we had months of warnings
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2020 at 6:39:47 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: terapined
I saw this coming in Jan while Trump and Fox was claiming this was all a hoax

This is not true.. Snopes confirms it. The "hoax" that he was talking about was the Democrats' criticism of the response to the virus from the administration.

Criticism of that response is fair; repeating what has been proven a lie is not.
March 13th, 2020 at 7:15:39 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Gandler
Because you are still employed, but are not given hours.
That's what laid off is.
March 13th, 2020 at 8:01:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
This is not true.. Snopes confirms it. The "hoax" that he was talking about was the Democrats' criticism of the response to the virus from the administration.

Criticism of that response is fair; repeating what has been proven a lie is not.

January 22: Trump on Coronavirus “We have it totally under control”!

January 24: Trump on Coronavirus “It will all work out well”!

January 30: Trump on Coronavirus “We have it very well under control, and I think its going to have a very good ending. So that I can assure you”!

February 2: Trump on Coronavirus “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China, but we did shut it down!” No clue whatsoever of the severity of what’s coming.

February 10: On Fox News Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus "dies with the hotter weather” "You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat

February 24: Trump tweeted another baselessly claims: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.”

February 25: Trump falsely claims : you may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are … getting better. They’re ALL getting better! Obviously he doesn’t care for those who died from it. (Like captured soldiers)

February 26: Trump wrongly says the coronavirus "is a flu"

February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is "going very substantially down" to "close to zero”

February 26: Trump wrongly says the flu death rate is "much higher" than Dr. Sanjay Gupta said. Coronavirus has 10X death rate compared to flu. If 60K die from flu then 600K will die from Coronavirus!

February 27: Trump baselessly said: "It's going to disappear. One day -- it's like a miracle -- it will disappear.

February 28: Trump said at a rally: Coronavirus is a democratic” Hoax”. No, it was a warning he did not listen to as usual. It’s always all about him.

March 2: Trump falsely claims "nobody knew" the number of US flu deaths, nope he’s the only one that doesn’t know as usual.

March 2: Trump says a vaccine is coming "relatively soon” Trump did not mention that CDC had told him earlier that day that a vaccine was "a year to a year and a half" away.

March 5: Trump wrongly claims the virus only hit the US "three weeks ago” Trump was informed of a confirmed case on January 21(6 weeks prior). He lied.

March 5: World Health Organization (WHO) based on data collected around the world stated the global mortality rate for coronavirus at 3.4%. Trump says :”I think the 3.4 % is really a false number, this is just my “Hunch”! (Hunch over Facts in Trumps world)

March 6: As the number of cases and deaths in Italy rises, Trump says
“I hear the numbers getting much better in Italy” Another Lie.

March 6: Trump falsely claims anybody can get tested if they want.That wasn't true. There were an insufficient number of tests available, as Pence said the day prior, and Americans could not get tested simply because they wanted to get tested. "You may not get a test unless a doctor or public health official prescribes a test,"

March 6: Trump baselessly muses that "maybe" the coronavirus improved US jobs numbers, Trump never thinks in terms of people and families losing lives… just numbers to boost his ego.

March 11: Trump TV speech wrongly states Insurance companies will pay for patients Coronavirus treatment. Next day Insurance Coalition corrected Trump and said they will pay ONLY for Co-payments ,NOT Treatment. Big Difference!

March 11: Trump TV speech wrongly states his Travel Ban to Europe will “apply to the tremendous amount of trade and large”. Next day white House Officials corrected Trump misinformation and said” Travel ban will NOT include trade!”. Trumps can’t even read a Teleprompter correctly.

March 11: Trump’s Ban to Europe does NOT include Britain and Scotland, were there are more confirmed coronavirus cases than in some European countries.
Trump owns Golf Resorts in Britain and Scotland, I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2020 at 8:09:32 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is "going very substantially down" to "close to zero”

Terapined- Great post! Looks like a lot of work on your part. The video footage is both horrifying and hilarious.

Here's a hot stock tip from Trump's second smartest son in February:

March 13th, 2020 at 8:18:41 AM permalink
RonC
...view the cut and paste list in his original post, no need to put it in multiple quotes...

I stated and proved that the statement you made--that President Trump called it a hoax--was false. Nor because he said so, not because I said so, but Snopes said so...

You responded not to my post, but with a cut and paste list from a source you did not bother to attribute it to (I have seen the list, so I am 99.9% it is not your own work...if it is, I apologize).

Some things belong on the list and are valid criticisms. some are conjecture as to why something done potentially helped Trump and are stupid, and some are gaffes that happen to everyone and were corrected.

I think the testing issue bad, and Trump will be seen as most responsible for it and how it gets fixed.
I suspect we were never ready for a pandemic of this sort and we need to be prepared. That needs to be looked into, of course.
The lack of testing really sucks but it does Trump no favors. The evidence supports a death rate of less than 1% in in South Korea and infection rate of people tested of about 3.9% so far. Those are good numbers compared to other locations based on aggressive testing...not stopping testing.
March 13th, 2020 at 8:33:41 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: pew
That's what laid off is.

No being laid off means your employment is completely terminated.

Same as being fired (in the sense of termination of employment, not saying the reasons are the same) or quitting (except being fired is the fault of the employee, and quitting is the employee terminating them self, quitting and being fired make you ineligible for unemployment in most cases).

Being scaled down hours, or told you can't get any hours for a few weeks is being furloughed (generally keeping a worker employed, but forcing them into an unpaid leave of absence).