No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 24th, 2020 at 12:44:03 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine

Interesting...the shortage described in this memo from 3/17/2020 predated the tweet mentioned (dated 3/21/2020)...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13tpfYcdO1s-mB5a--QnmaMAG561T8tS2/view

Is it possible that news of the possible treatment, which has been out there for a while, had something to do with starting the run on the medicines? I think we all heard about it a week or more before the President spoke about it last week.

The headline is misleading because there is no proof provided that pharmacies had a run on those medications AFTER Trump mentioned it; only that they were low supplies late last week.
March 24th, 2020 at 3:38:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
The GOP, a few months from now:

They can't quite get to suggesting the old and feeble get on trains and ride somewhere to be gassed.

This is kind of over the line. No, WAY over the line.
The President is a fink.
March 24th, 2020 at 4:33:23 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Deleted
March 24th, 2020 at 5:49:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
This is kind of over the line. No, WAY over the line.

Many in the GOP are now saying grandma has to die in order for the local Orange Julius to reopen in a timely manner. Is THAT not over the line?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 24th, 2020 at 6:27:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Many in the GOP are now saying grandma has to die in order for the local Orange Julius to reopen in a timely manner. Is THAT not over the line?

Welllll..... many....? Certainly some.... including a Texas legislator. He's 70 and says he's willing to risk death to get the economy growing.

It's hard to get exact figures..... But I think as of today there has NOT been a day in the US that there have been more coronavirus deaths than flu deaths.

Let me say that again. There has not been a day with more coronavirus deaths than flu deaths in the US.
(My guess is that changes today)

NYC is screwed. Think how many people a single person comes in contact with unless socially distancing. Subway. Walking on the street. Office building. Apartment elevator. Broadway show. Etc.... The lockdown will be in place for a long time there...
March 24th, 2020 at 7:09:08 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
If everything gets opened up on July 1 without a vaccine what do you see that prevents a new cycle starting then. We certainly won't have herd immunity by then with the shutdown?

IF we have widely available testing, we can quarantine those who are infected and their close contacts. Test, trace, and isolate. This is how South Korea was able to respond so well without the extreme shutdown that we are currently undergoing.

It's a big IF though. I have no idea what our current, or projected, testing capacity is. Right now we have no way to implement this plan, so it's stay the f*** home for everyone.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 24th, 2020 at 7:23:31 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AcesAndEights
IF we have widely available testing, we can quarantine those who are infected and their close contacts. Test, trace, and isolate. This is how South Korea was able to respond so well without the extreme shutdown that we are currently undergoing.

It's a big IF though. I have no idea what our current, or projected, testing capacity is. Right now we have no way to implement this plan, so it's stay the f*** home for everyone.

The testing is a red herring to appear to be doing something. It was wanted by the powers to be simply to get an idea on how fast and where the virus was spreading not to test everyone every week to see if they have caught it yet. If you have a clean test today that doesn't mean you won't catch it tomorrow.

I am sure this will change but currently S. Korea and the US both have 2 deaths per million of population. S. Korea is still having new cases and deaths.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 24th, 2020 at 7:28:51 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Quote: kenarman
The testing is a red herring to appear to be doing something. It was wanted by the powers to be simply to get an idea on how fast and where the virus was spreading not to test everyone every week to see if they have caught it yet. If you have a clean test today that doesn't mean you won't catch it tomorrow.

I am sure this will change but currently S. Korea and the US both have 2 deaths per million of population. S. Korea is still having new cases and deaths.

I disagree, it's not a red herring. It is NECESSARY and VITAL to beat this thing without dealing a death blow to the economy.

I haven't verified those numbers, but if correct, you have to consider that South Korea had their first infections well before the US. So if they are matching our death rate right now (when we are just at the beginning of the exponential curve), then that is a huge endorsement of their plan and response.
March 24th, 2020 at 7:29:25 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
If you are healthy and able, consider donating blood. I scheduled my appointment for tomorrow.
March 24th, 2020 at 7:50:46 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Governor Cuomo says 7.8 million-15.6 million New Yorkers will be infected.

Expert says one person could end up infecting 59,000 in a snowball effect.