No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 21st, 2022 at 6:53:58 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
That is a democracy. We are a republic. With a bicameral congress. Again, you might want to brush up on high school civics if you are not understanding it.

Your trigger finger was pushed too quickly, no "gotcha" for you; I referred to the difference between a democracy and a republic in my post.

Open your eyes why dontcha, and use your brain as a filter.
May 22nd, 2022 at 3:49:02 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The point of a Republic is the protect against the tyranny of the majority. For example when Roe came out in 1973 the vast majority of Americans (even on the left) were against it. Same with certain civil rights related cases in the 50s and 60s (at least in the States that were effectd by decisions).

In a Republic the government (including the Court) needs to take steps against popular will to defend rights. Sometimes these become popular overtime (like Roe) and sometimes they do not....

But, this is only a good system if the people in charge are well-rounded and have a good view (based on secular logic). If they are working off an agenda or religious beliefs (as historically can be the case). Pure democracy is rarely ideal (and there are endless examples of it backfiring) for the same reason that mob-justice is not ideal, people are rarely well informed, government is supposed to be the balancing force.
May 22nd, 2022 at 4:01:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Your trigger finger was pushed too quickly, no "gotcha" for you; I referred to the difference between a democracy and a republic in my post.

Open your eyes why dontcha, and use your brain as a filter.

No need for a gotcha. You still show your lack of understanding the reasoning for equal senate representation among the states.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2022 at 5:40:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Gandler
The point of a Republic is the protect against the tyranny of the majority. For example when Roe came out in 1973 the vast majority of Americans (even on the left) were against it. Same with certain civil rights related cases in the 50s and 60s (at least in the States that were effectd by decisions).

In a Republic the government (including the Court) needs to take steps against popular will to defend rights. Sometimes these become popular overtime (like Roe) and sometimes they do not....

But, this is only a good system if the people in charge are well-rounded and have a good view (based on secular logic). If they are working off an agenda or religious beliefs (as historically can be the case). Pure democracy is rarely ideal (and there are endless examples of it backfiring) for the same reason that mob-justice is not ideal, people are rarely well informed, government is supposed to be the balancing force.

Whether it is a small club or an entire nation you need a charter or constitution of some core statements that can't be changed too easily and second, you need a certain amount of time between voting for a change. Without those two things you won't have much stability. Direct democracy without those is complete chaos, or any other form of participatory governing. And of course, fair voting.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2022 at 5:57:12 AM permalink
rxwine
...also I cringe every time someone says we need "small government" because it shows a misunderstanding of how systems work as when they become more complex they need more complex operating systems. Governments need to be as large as necessary, not just small. You run a small town, you don't need a separate environmental agency, or an immigration office, etc., etc.,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2022 at 8:27:20 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
...also I cringe every time someone says we need "small government" because it shows a misunderstanding of how systems work as when they become more complex they need more complex operating systems. Governments need to be as large as necessary, not just small. You run a small town, you don't need a separate environmental agency, or an immigration office, etc., etc.,

The problem is that “As Large As Necessary” is not followed…if it was, we would be in better shape. Huge bureaucracies are expensive and inefficient. There should be an FDA but in no way should it take months to fix an issue at a plant that produces a vital product unless there are criminal charges, issues that cannot be resolved, etc. Get the report, investigate the report, take action on the report, and get the plant back in service. Protect people without creating a bigger issue. No one being held responsible makes government unwieldy.
May 22nd, 2022 at 10:38:34 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
No need for a gotcha. You still show your lack of understanding the reasoning for equal senate representation among the states.

No, I understand perfectly; I simply dislike the entire notion.
May 22nd, 2022 at 10:43:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
The problem is that “As Large As Necessary” is not followed…if it was, we would be in better shape. Huge bureaucracies are expensive and inefficient. There should be an FDA but in no way should it take months to fix an issue at a plant that produces a vital product unless there are criminal charges, issues that cannot be resolved, etc. Get the report, investigate the report, take action on the report, and get the plant back in service. Protect people without creating a bigger issue. No one being held responsible makes government unwieldy.

As far as I know, the government hasn't been better at their job through defunding and understaffing.

Republicans know exactly what works, that's why they gutted the IRS, but asked for more money for border protection. They wanted one to work, but not the other.

The IRS just tossed 3 million paper returns they haven't been able to process.

Quote:
An eight-year campaign to slash the agency’s budget has left it understaffed, hamstrung and operating with archaic equipment

Estimated we've lost billions in tax dollar.
May 22nd, 2022 at 1:52:02 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
As far as I know, the government hasn't been better at their job through defunding and understaffing.

Republicans know exactly what works, that's why they gutted the IRS, but asked for more money for border protection. They wanted one to work, but not the other.

The IRS just tossed 3 million paper returns they haven't been able to process.

Estimated we've lost billions in tax dollar.

Probably still less than was saved. A net gain in government revenue.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 24th, 2022 at 9:41:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Just checking if evenbob got the Monkey Pox yet, being as how sensitive he was to catching coronavirus practically before anyone else in the US. He's like the canary in the coal mine.