March 25th, 2020 at 9:21:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Prince Charles, heir to the throne,
has tested positive for the virus.
Ugly story, he might have given
it to everybody in the palace,
even his mother.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/europe/prince-charles-coronavirus-gbr-intl/index.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2020 at 11:51:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: RonC
My wife was a nurse without a clipboard for years (she does not like them either) and now is a pediatric nurse practitioner. I find this subject very interesting...and scary...

What should we title the thread?

To me it is about the abhorrently wasteful and just unreasonable regulations that the layers of government place on doctors.

Imagine if there was a Video Poker accreditation person.

These would be analagous regulations....

1. VP players are at risk for carpal tunnel syndrome. Therefore we are limiting speed to 300 hands per hour.
2. VP players are at risk for contracting infectious disease. Each machine will need a wipe down after every 200 hands and will be locked until the VP wiperdowner person enters a code saying the machine has been wiped down.
3. VP players often make poor decisions due to inebriation. VP players will have to blow into a breathalyzer every 500 hands, get a code, and enter it into the machine to continue.
4. VP players are at risk for blood clots due to inactivity. After every 1000 hands you will need to walk to a defined area to get a code to enter into the machine to allow continued play.

So now imagine the equivalent of the NWAC coming in and saying..... we are closing you down because we saw someone selling the breathalyzer codes to other patrons, and you did not have enough security to make it not happen!

The above is a FRACTION of the shit I had to deal with at the end of my career. It is a LARGE part of why I retired early.
March 25th, 2020 at 11:55:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: gamerfreak
I have 2 Regal Unlimited movie passes that are $21/month each. They make you commit to a full year when you first sign up. I’m wondering if I can get them to cancel or pause it while there are 0 theaters open.

The YMCA has allowed all who want to pause their membership. They told me it is for 3 months. But in this unusal situation they will almost assuredly let people just re-start when they re-open. They did send an email asking to be allowed to keep taking my monthly fee as a donation, and they would give me the tax deduction form for it. I've decided that the Y is a gym to me, and not a charity.
March 25th, 2020 at 12:04:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC

I took the refund option instead of the 125% future cruise credit which Royal Caribbean offered.

Can you make 125% with money in the same amount of time? Seems like they gave you an advantage play.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2020 at 12:43:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Can you make 125% with money in the same amount of time? Seems like they gave you an advantage play.

You need to factor in the odds of them declaring bankruptcy before you get your trip.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 25th, 2020 at 1:39:34 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine

That is possible...but the other possibilities are better based on our thoughts on cruising at this point.

--Has to be used by the end of 2021. Not sure we could make that fit with other plans.

--Reluctance to cruise (for now). If there is no cure or vaccination, I don't want to cruise. The coronavirus reeked havoc on many ships with at least major inconveniences. I don't want to spend extra time on a ship due to a virus being present. I know cruise ships always have some issues with infections; this one is worse.

--I see a great possibility to make more than 25% on it.

--Concern about the slight possibility of losing the whole thing in a bankruptcy of the cruise line. A long shot, but a concern.

I see people doing both, and I understand both sides of the issue. Our choice was good for us; may not have been for someone else,
March 25th, 2020 at 1:50:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
You need to factor in the odds of them declaring bankruptcy before you get your trip.

Yeah, although they're suppose to receive help, not sure how long down time could last on maintaining a big ship like that docked.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2020 at 2:12:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

They should not be bailed out
Cruise ships don't pay jack in taxes. They technically visit the USA
They don't fly the stars and stripes, they fly the flag what ever country gives them the best tax deal
Let those countries bail out the cruise lines
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2020 at 2:29:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
They should not be bailed out
Cruise ships don't pay jack in taxes. They technically visit the USA
They don't fly the stars and stripes, they fly the flag what ever country gives them the best tax deal
Let those countries bail out the cruise lines
Good point.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 25th, 2020 at 2:30:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just heard that smoking dope on
a regular basis at any age is just
like cigs, it gives your lungs a pre
existing condition that will make
the virus harder to get rid of.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.