No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 26th, 2020 at 9:34:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Also, last week, Putin said no epidemic. This week Moscow business is shutting down.

The US reported it's 100th case in the first week of March and has confirmed 65,778 cases as of March 25th. The plateau is nowhere in sight.

In mid-January in South Korea, the health authorities quickly conferred with the research institutions here [to develop a test]," Kang said. "And then they shared that result with the pharmaceutical companies, who then produced the reagent [chemical] and the equipment needed for the testing."

S Korea's testing and isolation policies brought them to the edge of the plateau in only 2 weeks after their 100th case. By the 3rd week they were on the plateau with certainty.

The vast majority of the people ordered to quarantine at home are perfectly healthy and never do get sick, but the few who do develop symptoms can be quickly isolated further. South Korea been able to keep most factories, shopping malls and restaurants open. Singapore has even kept its schools open.
March 26th, 2020 at 10:36:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The limits on crowds in the USA only shows the arbitrary and capricious whims involved. Seat restaurant customers at alternate tables soon became don't seat any.
March 27th, 2020 at 4:30:06 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: reno
Nonsense. Of course there's a vaccine for swine flu. If your doctor hasn't given you one, find a new doctor.

"…there is a very good example that we all forget: the swine flu in 2009. That was a virus that reached the world from Mexico and until today there is no vaccination against it."-March 22, 2020 - Dr. Yoram Lass, former Director General of the Health Ministry in Israel.

I am curious why he would say that.

I didn’t receive a vaccine for that virus this season, or any of the previous flu seasons, and neither did you.

It is a two shot monovalent vaccine, administered four weeks apart.
March 27th, 2020 at 4:32:32 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 27th, 2020 at 5:39:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19.

The sh*t is getting real
FLATTEN THE CURVE, STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES. DONT LISTEN TO RIGHT WING MEDIA
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2020 at 5:49:19 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
The sh*t is getting real
FLATTEN THE CURVE, STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES. DONT LISTEN TO RIGHT WING MEDIA

I guess it must be the far right stuff you are listening to because I don't hear Fox saying that.

The people of our country do need to get back to work at some point. There may be different ways to do that.

My opinion, which is just as worthless as everyone else's, is that the spread is not what the worst cases said it was and that it also won't go away quickly. We will have to live with it. The question is HOW we will live with it. Some of the early chatter about the spread covered three seasons, not right away.

We can't sit in our houses for 18 months waiting for a vaccine. We can't stop people from getting groceries; just that takes a lot of folks nationwide. There will be some contact between people no matter how we react.

...but I do take it very seriously; I am married to someone who sees patients every day.

I have cut trips to the grocery store to one or less per week. We went three or four times a week previously. I try to make all trips take care of several things and order as many items as I can online, but there are risks there also. I work at home; haven't talked to a customer in person in weeks (I usually do see at least some each week).
March 27th, 2020 at 6:05:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
I guess it must be the far right stuff you are listening to because I don't hear Fox saying that.
BS like Lou Dobbs saying Trump is right and Dr Fauci was wrong about unproven drugs. This kind of stuff gets people killed
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 27th, 2020 at 6:16:10 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
BS like Lou Dobbs saying Trump is right and Dr Fauci was wrong about unproven drugs. This kind of stuff gets people killed

??? Trump said that he had a good feeling about the drugs, he did not say that he was sure that they would work. Dr. Faucic did not say they wouldn't work; he said he wants tests. Those two are not opposites; Dr. Fauci have even said that.

The truth is that doctors and hospitals are out there doing off-label prescriptions based on reports from other countries about things that may work. If you think that happens only because the President has "a good feeling", you would be wrong. Doctors are trying to save lives. Sometimes you have time for a clinical trial. Sometimes you have a drug, some anecdotal evidence, approval to use it off-label, and a very sick dying patient. Just tell that person--and it could be you or me as we are in the same age group (roughly)--that you won't try a hail Mary that just might work... Perhaps Trump's statement has brought more attention to the varying treatments, but most good doctors read and talk all the time about studies and other evidence. They have to so that to keep up.

Someone did die by not being a doctor and self-prescribing something that was not the correct thing. That is an issue of stupidity, sadly, and could easily have happened with or without Trump saying a word because THE WHOLE WORLD HAS EXPOSURE TO THE NEWS OF POSSIBLE DRUG TREATMENTS!
March 27th, 2020 at 6:21:25 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Tucker Carlson on FOX last evening, slamming NYC leaders for telling people to carry on as usual as recently as March 11th.

The parade they were referring to was the Lunar New Year Parade. There are seven Chinatowns in NYC. Seven heavily attended parades that week.
March 27th, 2020 at 6:31:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
??? Trump said that he had a good feeling about the drugs, he did not say that he was sure that they would work. Dr. Faucic did not say they wouldn't work; he said he wants tests. Those two are not opposites; Dr. Fauci have even said that.

To me, Fauci has done his best to not outright say Trump has sometimes made the message confusing if not wrong at times when Trump adds some of his own thoughts off the cuff. It's extremely awkward to contradict your boss in front of the entire world. But that's what he is faced with sometimes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?