6 mg butt kicking

Page 7 of 8« First<45678>
December 1st, 2020 at 7:44:59 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So my Velo order came in this evening.

The cans are slightly smaller than a can of dip in both heightand circumference . I am not sure if this was intention or not, but it is a noticeable smaller size compared on holding a can of dip.

As for the product itself. It comes in 20 pouches now at 7MG. This is ideal in both number of pouches and strength. The 7MG is perfect, I can easily enjoy just one pouch (instead of the usual two for products that are 4-6MG). (I believe that there are also lower strengths avaliable if needed).

Dragon Fruit is the first favor that I tried, and it is fine. Dragon Fruit is not my favorite thing in the world, but it has a solid flavor and if you like Dragon Fruit you will probably like it. The pouches are a good size and fit in your lip well while still being discrete. The feel of the pouches is as seamless as can be expected.

I have yet to try the other flavors from this order. But, based purely on the nicotine level (7MG), and amount of pouches (20), and feel, I would say this is a great nicotine product to use as a tobacco alternative. And, the one flavor that I have tried has been solid.

For the massive improvements over the old Velo, I would give this a great score (I had a low regard for the old Velo so the major improvements in the new line are even more profound).

I have yet to see this in physicals retail locations, but if it expands availability it will be a viable everyday option with its strength, solid flavor, and improved quality (the old Velo was everywhere so I imagine its only a matter of time before this starts to restock the shelves).

December 2nd, 2020 at 2:15:50 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Yea I think I tried the old Velo in the square tin.

How many pouches or tins do you consume in a week?
December 3rd, 2020 at 12:23:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: gamerfreak
Yea I think I tried the old Velo in the square tin.

How many pouches or tins do you consume in a week?

I am honestly not sure. I use them at about the same rate that I dipped.

So I would say 10 pouches a day (probably less now, since with 7MG I can get away with only using one instead of needing two for most sessions). So maybe 5 pouches a day?

The problem with nicotine pouches (well its not really a problem), is that they are so discrete and socially acceptable you can have one in pretty much all day and nobody would notice or care, so I can foresee it causing problems with increased nicotine intake (even though legally you can dip virtually everywhere, it is frowned upon in many professional settings and it also grosses people out in social settings so you can really only do it when alone).

These are a massive improvement over the old Velo (the square tin). I saw some in Circle K this morning (I am not sure the price since I didn't need to buy any, I meant to ask out of curiosity but I forgot), so it appears that they are already making it out to retail. It is owned by RJ Reynolds (Camel), so I am sure most everywhere that carries Camel cigs and snus will have them soon if not already. On the website it is 2.50 a can which is a really good deal for a 20 pouch can at 7MG. I would imagine the retail price would be similar (unless you live in a state that has a silly tax). (The old Velo was only 99Cents a tin, but 2.50 is still a really good price especially compared to brands like Zyn which have bloated prices).
December 3rd, 2020 at 2:56:45 PM permalink
Gandler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7AHCCVX4&t=321s

So I came across this interview today. I read his book years ago (For Smokers Only: How Smokeless Tobacco Can Save You Life, 1995). And, I loved the book, it was always a great way to rebut people who would say smokeless tobacco causes mouth cancer.

Brad Rodu D.D.S (Oral Pathologist) is a proponent of the harm reduction philosophy for tobacco (basically people will always enjoy tobacco, but the responsible thing is to encourage "safer" tobacco products). I have never seen him speak before or even seen a picture, but he is excellent at articulating the benefits of smokeless tobacco. He also uses language many would not associate with a dentist "no demonstrable carcinogenic risk" and that the FDA knows that its warnings are false, but still expands them (particular the "this product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes").

It may be important to note that some of his studies have received grants from Swedish Match (they make most snus that people here are probably familiar with such as "General Snus" , they also make "Zyn" nicotine pouches) and U.S Smokeless Tobacco Company (Skoal and Copenhagen and a bunch of other brands).

He is also an advocate of vaping over smoking (vaping did not exist when his book was published).

Some people will say he is equivalent of the 1960s Doctors who said smoking was safe. But, his research is pretty well-rounded and he does not recommend a specific product (just that tobacco users should always switch as safe of a product as possible), so I don't think that it is fair to vilify him. I think harm reduction is always the logical philosophy (the simple fact is, people will never stop using nicotine products), and it is always great to see medical professionals have the courage to say such.

https://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2020/05/first-study-of-zyn-novel-consumer.html
"Our study was the first to assess interest in and actual usage of a new tobacco product, ZYN nicotine pouches. Non-users of tobacco had little interest, and ST users constituted the majority of ZYN regular users. "

https://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-smokeless-tobacco-user-will-i-get.html
"Dr. Philip Cole and I reviewed oral/throat cancer risks among smokeless tobacco users (abstract here) in 2002. We found that users of moist snuff (including snus) and chewing tobacco did not have risks that were significantly higher than those of nonusers of tobacco. Our findings were confirmed by a comprehensive meta-analysis of all epidemiologic studies of smokeless tobacco use and cancer (discussed by me here). "

https://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.com/2020/11/covid-19-deaths-in-united-states-its.html
"These scenarios are on the cusp of occurring across the country, and they are being driven by some Americans’ refusal to wear masks and to not meet with friends and relatives in bars, restaurants and elsewhere, all because they believe these measures infringe on their freedom. I wonder how many of these refuseniks would extend their freedom to volunteer not to be treated if they develop a serious illness. "
(totally unrelated subject, but his views on this make me like him more in modern times)
December 4th, 2020 at 5:58:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I really like tobacco*, but I have to wonder about my tolerance of nicotine. This is quite weird. I was using Zyn in low dose since I started this thread, but have been using less and less. All along I have to be careful not to get too much dose, and spit it out pretty soon .. this the low dose stuff. Have used about one pouch in the last month or so. Occasionally smoke a small cigar, no inhaling, but the last one was about a week ago. Debating now whether to get more Zyn. In other words, I get addicted but wean off of it almost without effort, with my intolerance of nicotine a factor.

Yet I like tobacco, which keeps pulling me back in.

I like to smell unburning tobacco, and definitely can notice quality. Really good pipe tobacco or [back in the old days] cigarette tobacco in that pouch you closed back up with strings they used. Yeah, man, just love to smell it. Or a good cigar, the ones that cost about 7 dollars and more. Love to just smell them.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 4th, 2020 at 11:34:35 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: odiousgambit
I really like tobacco*, but I have to wonder about my tolerance of nicotine. This is quite weird. I was using Zyn in low dose since I started this thread, but have been using less and less. All along I have to be careful not to get too much dose, and spit it out pretty soon .. this the low dose stuff. Have used about one pouch in the last month or so. Occasionally smoke a small cigar, no inhaling, but the last one was about a week ago. Debating now whether to get more Zyn. In other words, I get addicted but wean off of it almost without effort, with my intolerance of nicotine a factor.

Yet I like tobacco, which keeps pulling me back in.

I like to smell unburning tobacco, and definitely can notice quality. Really good pipe tobacco or [back in the old days] cigarette tobacco in that pouch you closed back up with strings they used. Yeah, man, just love to smell it. Or a good cigar, the ones that cost about 7 dollars and more. Love to just smell them.

What is the low dose for Zyn? 2MG or 3?

If you like tobacco and only use it occasionally why not just invest in a pipe and go to a tobacco shop and check out some local blends? I agree that pipe tobacco is one of the more pleasant smelling forms (at least as far as tobacco meant for burning goes).

For smokeless options you could look into snus (real tobacco but spitfree you can buy it either loose or in pouches -portions as they call them- like Zyn).
December 4th, 2020 at 5:34:52 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Gandler
What is the low dose for Zyn? 2MG or 3?

If you like tobacco and only use it occasionally why not just invest in a pipe and go to a tobacco shop and check out some local blends? I agree that pipe tobacco is one of the more pleasant smelling forms (at least as far as tobacco meant for burning goes).

For smokeless options you could look into snus (real tobacco but spitfree you can buy it either loose or in pouches -portions as they call them- like Zyn).
Low dose Zyn is 3 mg.

I have smoked pipes in my day and also have tried Snus. Snus is not too bad of a way to go, actually, but I prefer to spit until it gets used up a bit, so it is not a spit free thing for me.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 25th, 2021 at 12:14:59 PM permalink
gamerfreak
I’ve tried the new Velo.

Pretty good, but Zyn is still better IMO. Velo is a bit too sweet for me, but I will continue to purchase while it’s $0.99 at Wawa.

ON! still might be my favorite. It’s definitely a lower quality product, but I like the smaller pouch size for discretion.
January 25th, 2021 at 3:25:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Wawa always has the best prices for some reason.
I really like the Zyn 6 in all the minty related flavors. I look forward to trying the new Velo if I see it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 31st, 2022 at 8:12:08 AM permalink
gamerfreak
I’ve been nicotine free for about a month now.

I was starting to use a whole tin of 6mg Zyn each day, and got tired of wanting to have a pouch in my mouth every waking hour. My dentist also said I had some gum recession and I’m worried the nicotine pouches can cause that or make it worse.

I went cold Turkey and didn’t have any withdrawal. If I had to guess, I’ll get stressed out at some point and start using again.
Page 7 of 8« First<45678>