Most popular hot sauce

Page 3 of 3<123
March 5th, 2020 at 7:38:28 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Whether or not you are a fan of Aubrey Plaza, this is her at her very best. (Count me sometimes in, and sometimes out, but this is really fun.)

March 5th, 2020 at 8:00:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mosca
I don’t consider Dave’s Insanity or Blair’s Death food items. They are chemicals. (Obviously everything are chemicals. You know what I mean.)

From Melinda’s website, “ Melinda’s® doesn’t make sauces that just burn, we make sauces that sizzle with flavor. We believe that pepper sauces are not just measured by units of heat, but more importantly by flavor. What makes a pepper sauce extraordinary is balancing the heat and flavor perfectly.“

Everyone whom I’ve given a taste of Melinda’s has raved about the flavor. Even with the Ghost and Scorpion, they are still delicious. Obviously if you don’t like the heat, you won’t like them. But there are lower levels available. Me, I put that stuff on everything.

You can start with the easiest one. It’s about as hot as a Tabasco based sauce. It’s about taking the flavor of the habañero and making it shine. So, same heat, different taste.

There is a genetic component to your ability to tolerate 'hot' food. People are born with a large difference in the number of receptors that they have for 'hot' food. Those that can tolerate and enjoy hotter food have fewer receptors than the people who can't tolerate much heat. Interestingly it is the same receptor that senses temperature which probably explains why the term 'hot' became the term for spicy.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 5th, 2020 at 8:23:34 AM permalink
Mosca
There is a genetic component to your ability to tolerate 'hot' food. People are born with a large difference in the number of receptors that they have for 'hot' food. Those that can tolerate and enjoy hotter food have fewer receptors than the people who can't tolerate much heat. Interestingly it is the same receptor that senses temperature which probably explains why the term 'hot' became the term for spicy.

And you can very definitely build up a tolerance. If I lay off for a few months, even a pepperoncini is almost unbearable. But if I’m in “every day” mode, a bottle of Scorpion lasts a couple weeks.
March 6th, 2020 at 3:40:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Whether or not you are a fan of Aubrey Plaza, this is her at her very best. (Count me sometimes in, and sometimes out, but this is really fun.)

After you watch Aubrey watch Gordon Ramsey. Aubrey is half Puerto Rican, and Gordon is British, so you have to consider the theory about genetics and reaction to hot food.

I would have guessed that Gordon would have tried ultra hot sauces at some time in his life before he went on TV.
March 6th, 2020 at 9:19:16 AM permalink
Mosca
Thanks Paco, that is good!
March 6th, 2020 at 10:49:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
David Chang tells the story on his
Nflix show Ugly Delicious of when
he tried the hot devil chicken in LA.
He ate a small piece, a thigh I think,
and in a minute sweat was poring off
him. He started screaming and puking
and rolling around on the lawn. He
ran into a 7/11 and downed a quart
of chocolate milk. Took him 10 hours
of absolute misery to recover.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2020 at 11:12:09 AM permalink
Mosca
I wondered, with the tastes being sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami, what is the taste of hotness? Some call it “pungent”. But it is actually “pain”. Interestingly, that is also what carbonation is.
March 6th, 2020 at 2:13:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I wondered, with the tastes being sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami, what is the taste of hotness?

Hotness is not one of the five "tastes", it is a stimulation of the trigeminal nerve.

The trigeminal nerve is a nerve responsible for sensation in the face and motor functions such as biting and chewing; it is the most complex of the cranial nerves.

Its name ("trigeminal" = tri-, or three, and - geminus, or twin: thrice-twinned) derives from the fact that each of the two nerves (one on each side of the pons) has three major branches: the ophthalmic nerve (V1), the maxillary nerve (V2), and the mandibular nerve (V3).

The ophthalmic and maxillary nerves are purely sensory, whereas the mandibular nerve supplies motor as well as sensory (or "cutaneous") functions. Adding to the complexity of this nerve is the fact that autonomic nerve fibers as well as special sensory fibers (taste) are contained within it.
Page 3 of 3<123