1 vote (14.28%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (42.85%)

7 members have voted

May 7th, 2013 at 10:04:18 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Nail clippers are one of those household items that I never pay any attention to until I need it. Then, it is back to the drawer. Over the years, I have amassed several clippers ranging in size from, "baby" to "caveman". Most have curved blades, but some are straight or bowed out. Some have flip-out files with hooks on the end, others have devices to keep the clippings from flying all over the place. I recently noticed that all the clippers in my house are dull, but for some reason I never figured out how to sharpen them. I could, and have, bought brand new ones, but I never toss the dull ones. Rather, I'll continue to use the dull ones, since they are on hand and are capable of doing the job, even if it is somewhat more painful. Every few years when I buy a new one, I note how nice a job it does since it is sharp. However, it eventually gets dull, and becomes no different than the others tucked in drawers around my house. Outside of the rare occassion to cut off a plastic hang tag from a piece of clothing, I can't think of any other time I've used a clipper for anything besides nail maintenance.

What do you do with dull clippers?

Does anyone sharpen their clippers? If so, how is it accomplished?
May 7th, 2013 at 10:50:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Wait for a Gypsy to come along. Then assemble all knives and pairs of scissors etc.
May 7th, 2013 at 12:10:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, love the obscure topics you’ve been posting =)

I just so happen to have a “favorite” pair (is a single clipper called a “pair”?) of clippers, it’s (they’re?) at least 20 years old. There’s just something about them. The metal is very thin, much thinner than the ones nowadays. It gives me supreme finesse, allowing me to get cuticles close without discomfort. They’re of course dull, but it’s worth it to avoid the hack job today’s clunky models give.

Through all my changes of dwelling, college, vacations, I’ve somehow managed to keep track of them. I know it’s stupid, but it is one of my most prized possessions =p

I got a new one and bled for a week lol. It now lives in my tackle box and is used for cutting line.

I don't dare sharpen my fave lest I ruin it. Can't help you there.

And other than nails and 4lb test, I haven't another use for them.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 7th, 2013 at 2:20:12 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
My thing about nail clippers is the small ones are for fingernails and the larger ones are only for toenails. I have never in my life noticed dull nail clippers and they have always worked fine unless they were broken. Sometimes the fingernail clippers have a chain on them which I have attached to my keys, so I never lose them until the chain breaks off. As far as what face describes having a favorite pair, I have noticed the best for reliability are usually made in the USA or Germany.

If you watch the movie ED with Matthew Mcconaughey, he has a good tutorial in the movie on how to cut your fingernails so they have no jagged edges. You basically cut them in one piece and they will be cut smooth. I am always very careful to have my contacts in before I cut my nails, because even sometimes the jagged edges you miss will tear your contacts. I really am surprised these things get dull because I have never noticed it.
May 7th, 2013 at 2:39:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
I recently noticed that all the clippers in my house are dull, but for some reason I never figured out how to sharpen them.

The same way you sharpen any other metal sharp instrument: with a whetstone set at the right angle (ok, knives can be sharpened with metal sharpeners, too). I concede that may not be easy with such instruments.

I don't use them. I only file my nails (all of them) when they grow too long or need shaping. But I suppose you could find a clipper sharpener online. if it's not on the internet, it doens't exist ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 8th, 2013 at 11:34:59 AM permalink
Face
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
As far as what face describes having a favorite pair, I have noticed the best for reliability are usually made in the USA or Germany.

The vaulted clipper

Quite aged indeed. And sure enough, the stamp that is all but worn away says "Lite-R. Venice, Fla." with a "Made in U.S.A." likewise nearly worn off on the back.

May be one of the few things I have left that were from the "Made in U.S.A." days =/
May 8th, 2013 at 2:24:04 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Hehe, thanks for those Face... In the bottom photo, is there a spot of gray paint on it, or is the chrome worn off?
May 8th, 2013 at 2:43:29 PM permalink
Face
Front and back, it's just worn. Even the file is like a quarter from the 60s; you can tell there were ridges, but it's nearly smooth =)

You bringing this up has made me realize how strange this is lol. I think I'm way too attached to these things (this thing?) ;)
May 8th, 2013 at 4:56:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I keep buying fresh ones. Not so much because that the old ones get dull, but I can never find them. I've never thrown one away in my life. When I absolutely need to cut my nails, like right now, the only one I can ever find is one with a blue rubber handle that is painfully dull. I can't bear to throw it away, because it still gets the job done, and somehow doesn't get lost. I suspect somebody has been playing a practical joke by stealing my good nail clippers when I'm asleep.

A bit off topic, but my wife keeps saying that I should get a manicure, but I don't want my masculinity impugned more than it already is.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 8th, 2013 at 5:35:52 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
I keep buying fresh ones. Not so much because that the old ones get dull, but I can never find them. I've never thrown one away in my life. When I absolutely need to cut my nails, like right now, the only one I can ever find is one with a blue rubber handle that is painfully dull. I can't bear to throw it away, because it still gets the job done, and somehow doesn't get lost. I suspect somebody has been playing a practical joke by stealing my good nail clippers when I'm asleep.

A bit off topic, but my wife keeps saying that I should get a manicure, but I don't want my masculinity impugned more than it already is.

Hehe, I liken it to a squirrel burying nuts. You get to a point where there is one in every drawer in the house. I suspect someone more crafty than you is tossing their old one everytime you buy a new one, but hiding it for their exclusive use. They leave the blue rubber handled one behind since they need it to trim the plastic tags off their new clothes...

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a, "manly" manicure...hehe
Page 1 of 212>