Stimulus

March 26th, 2020 at 5:15:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
No.

If you work you file your own return. Children can file their own return if they have work income, say as being a model or such.

You might lose your standard deduction, but you file your own return.

It depends on your income, if you make less than a certain amount you do not file as a dependent (and most HS workers do not breach that threshold). I don't think I ever filed a tax return in HS, and I worked since 14.

Most people in HS do not file a tax return.
March 26th, 2020 at 5:17:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
It depends on your income, if you make less than a certain amount you do not file as a dependent (and most HS workers do not breach that threshold). I don't think I ever filed a tax return in HS, and I worked since 14.

Most people in HS do not file a tax return.

When did this change? When I was in HS everyone filed their own return by requirement. I have never even heard of not filing as a dependent. And when I did taxes there was no such question about adding the income of dependents.

You just file 1040EZ. That is what it is for.

EDIT: appears you have to file only when your income hits $12,200. At $10/hr that is 1220 hours, or 28 hours a week, easily eclipsed back when I was in HS.
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2020 at 5:24:56 PM permalink
Gandler
When did this change? When I was in HS everyone filed their own return by requirement. I have never even heard of not filing as a dependent. And when I did taxes there was no such question about adding the income of dependents.

You just file 1040EZ. That is what it is for.

There is some kind of threshold, it's like 6 or 7k which most kids don't make working minimum wage over the summer.
March 26th, 2020 at 5:27:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
There is some kind of threshold, it's like 6 or 7k which most kids don't make working minimum wage over the summer.

See my edit. And instead of MW use $10-11 per hour. Nobody makes MW for long lately. Most places I see state they are starting at $11 or more.
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2020 at 5:38:02 PM permalink
Gandler
See my edit. And instead of MW use $10-11 per hour. Nobody makes MW for long lately. Most places I see state they are starting at $11 or more.

This is getting off topic, but you can't work 28 hours a week while in school.

It varies by state, but for where I lived it was 16 I think at the time.

And, even in the summer and during holidays you were capped at 40 hours, so overtime was not really possible to make up hours.

So working 1200+ hours while in HS is mathematically impossible in many states.

And, that is assuming you (or your parents) was you to work the max hours, most parents would rather have kids home more..... Even if you live somewhere where you legally can work that many hours, it's not the norm (because you need a job that is flexible, parental support, and of course the personal will to work that many hours after school....)
March 26th, 2020 at 6:03:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Correct, he has never filed a return because he didn't have to.

The news articles I have seen say you can get the lesser credit for children under 17.

They do not say you can get the credit for any child who is your dependant.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2020 at 3:40:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
This is getting off topic, but you can't work 28 hours a week while in school.

It varies by state, but for where I lived it was 16 I think at the time.

And, even in the summer and during holidays you were capped at 40 hours, so overtime was not really possible to make up hours.

So working 1200+ hours while in HS is mathematically impossible in many states.

And, that is assuming you (or your parents) was you to work the max hours, most parents would rather have kids home more..... Even if you live somewhere where you legally can work that many hours, it's not the norm (because you need a job that is flexible, parental support, and of course the personal will to work that many hours after school....)

In my day we did it all the time. Even today, work 8 on Saturday and say 5 on Sunday. Then three 5 hour shifts during the week.

Lots of us did it.

Back to the topic, why would you not fill out the 1040EZ in the first place. Unless you got an exemption from withholding you should file and try to get some of your withholdings back.

A final thing was to file was to feel you were entering adulthood. And if you did it together you teach the kid how to get it done so they are not clueless when they do have to eventually file. For me I understood the forms at a very young age, better than most all adults around me. I had born in "tax sense" which caused a few arguments with my mother who tried to help me file and in general conversation as I was the only one understanding that "can be claimed" meant you did not get to claim yourself even if your parents wanted to let you. Not easy being the only one who knew what was going on.

By my second year of filing I told my mother help was not needed and did it myself.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2020 at 5:40:22 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Article 1, Section 5, #1

"Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business"

One House member, Rep Thomas Massie (R-Kentucky) is questioning the constitutionality of passing a bill without a quorum present. That could require about 216 members to be on hand to vote on the package. Many are en route now from their homes.

I was always taught that there is "no right way to do the wrong thing" which would mean to me that they SHOULD have a quorum present (or invoke another unused 9/11 voting provision, but I am not sure what would be required to do that) if it is truly a constitutional problem. I guess that they could just do it and see what happens, but what if someone filed for an injunction to stop it from being implemented? I am not sure who would have standing to do it, but we certainly don't need that happening...people need the money.

Perhaps there will be 216 or so there anyway because many may want to comment on the floor before the vote--lots of things to say about the package on both sides as we've seen--and then, in the end, vote for it.
March 27th, 2020 at 8:04:11 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I found the answer to my question

https://www.wsj.com/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-payments-from-the-government-11585229988

Quote:
People who haven’t filed tax returns can still file for 2019 to make sure the government has their updated income and bank-account information, as well as 2019 information about recent births, deaths, marriages, divorces and moves. Such changes that happened after 2019 won’t be reflected in the payments, however. Those with low incomes or no income can file tax returns for free using the IRS’s Free File program.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 27th, 2020 at 9:10:48 AM permalink
Gandler
In my day we did it all the time. Even today, work 8 on Saturday and say 5 on Sunday. Then three 5 hour shifts during the week.

Lots of us did it.

Back to the topic, why would you not fill out the 1040EZ in the first place. Unless you got an exemption from withholding you should file and try to get some of your withholdings back.

A final thing was to file was to feel you were entering adulthood. And if you did it together you teach the kid how to get it done so they are not clueless when they do have to eventually file. For me I understood the forms at a very young age, better than most all adults around me. I had born in "tax sense" which caused a few arguments with my mother who tried to help me file and in general conversation as I was the only one understanding that "can be claimed" meant you did not get to claim yourself even if your parents wanted to let you. Not easy being the only one who knew what was going on.

By my second year of filing I told my mother help was not needed and did it myself.

Yeah you can't do that anymore. Working on school days after school has a 3 hour cap per day (and max 16 hours per week).