Stimulus

March 29th, 2020 at 12:28:33 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: petroglyph
If the gov is going to be sending out subsistence checks, it would be appropriate if there was a mechanism to garnishee at least a portion of the money from deadbeat dads [or moms] who are miles behind in child support, and pass it along for the childs benefit.

I think in that case they won't get a stimulus check?

https://katu.com/news/coronavirus/people-behind-on-child-support-payments-may-not-qualify-for-coronavirus-stimulus-check-03-28-2020-153214346
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 29th, 2020 at 12:41:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
If the gov is going to be sending out subsistence checks, it would be appropriate if there was a mechanism to garnishee at least a portion of the money from deadbeat dads [or moms] who are miles behind in child support, and pass it along for the childs benefit.

I think in that case they won't get a stimulus check?

https://katu.com/news/coronavirus/people-behind-on-child-support-payments-may-not-qualify-for-coronavirus-stimulus-check-03-28-2020-153214346
Thanks, I will pass that along to a needy mom.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 29th, 2020 at 12:45:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Probably more of a sting if they send the check with the deduction made. Not sure if I told the story of the security guy in Vegas telling how the IRS garnished his pay, and he received a paycheck printed $0.00. He was on the phone with them real quick.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2020 at 1:05:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

That is actually the one restriction that can allow the check to be seized. Pretty much anything else (including owing the IRS backtaxes) is not justification to prevent the payment or seize the payment....
March 29th, 2020 at 8:07:17 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I applied for self-employed UI
Supposed to do a phone call "interview" with NYS Dept. of Labor this week to determine if I will get it
I am not holding out any hope that I will receive UI, despite all the courts being closed, making me unable to earn an income as an attorney
March 29th, 2020 at 8:13:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: aceofspades
I applied for self-employed UI
Supposed to do a phone call "interview" with NYS Dept. of Labor this week to determine if I will get it
I am not holding out any hope that I will receive UI, despite all the courts being closed, making me unable to earn an income as an attorney

just saying.... our courts are closed and there are stories of divorce lawyers still having lots of work. Arguing about alimony when man is now unemployed.... Arguing about custody issues if one parent decides to be quarantined..... Arguing about child support level now that man is unemployed.....
This doesn't even include the gazillion new cases that will arise as a result of the close quarters....

Isn't well over 90% of your work spent NOT in court, either negotiating with the other combatant's attorney, preparing your own paperwork, discussing strategy with your client, doing research, etc?

If I called a divorce attorney now, are you saying they will not be working from home in your area?
March 29th, 2020 at 8:32:17 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: SOOPOO
just saying.... our courts are closed and there are stories of divorce lawyers still having lots of work. Arguing about alimony when man is now unemployed.... Arguing about custody issues if one parent decides to be quarantined..... Arguing about child support level now that man is unemployed.....
This doesn't even include the gazillion new cases that will arise as a result of the close quarters....

Isn't well over 90% of your work spent NOT in court, either negotiating with the other combatant's attorney, preparing your own paperwork, discussing strategy with your client, doing research, etc?

If I called a divorce attorney now, are you saying they will not be working from home in your area?

SOOPOO, remember, I was terminated from the firm I was with last August

I have only one client right now - they owe me $8k

They have failed to abide by any payment plan I provided them

I was preparing a motion to withdraw as counsel when the Courts shut down
(Attorneys cannot just "quit" - they need Court permission to withdraw, which
can be denied, thusly causing the attorney to have to work for free)

I called the Court to alert them that I needed to file a motion to withdraw due to my client failing to pay me

The Court informed me my motion was neither an "emergency" nor "essential"

Nobody is hiring a divorce attorney while this is going on for two reasons:
1-the courts are not accepting new filings; and
2-nobody is paying a retainer while their economic future is uncertain

Sure, there are probably many divorce/family law attorneys working on cases now but they cannot file anything other than "emergency" motions and,
if the attorney files an "emergency" motion and the Court actually believes it to not be an emergency, that attorney is going to be sanctioned

So, the courts are closed and I have one non-paying client (who has used every excuse in the book as to why they couldn't pay me and has now latched
onto COVID-19 as a ready-made new excuse), I have no work I can do
March 29th, 2020 at 8:56:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

I called the Court to alert them that I needed to file a motion to withdraw due to my client failing to pay me

Sure, there are probably many divorce/family law attorneys working on cases now but they cannot file anything other than "emergency" motions and,
if the attorney files an "emergency" motion and the Court actually believes it to not be an emergency, that attorney is going to be sanctioned

So, the courts are closed and I have one non-paying client (who has used every excuse in the book as to why they couldn't pay me and has now latched
Is it your client that is being sued for divorce?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 30th, 2020 at 5:06:06 AM permalink
aceofspades
Is it your client that is being sued for divorce?

Not a divorce - child custody case
March 30th, 2020 at 7:14:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Sorry about your personal situation. You know doctors have the same bullshit rule that you can't 'fire' a patient for non-payment without YOU insuring the patient finds another doctor! Imagine the conversation..... Dr. Smith, I am 'firing' Mr. Jones for non-payment, when can you get him an appointment?

It sounds like New York State is going to be very 'liberal' (pun intended) with unemployment benefits, so I expect you will get at least something. Do you know what happens if your client decides to pay you and you do more work for him? Do you have to return the unemployment money?