Stimulus

August 9th, 2020 at 3:13:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: kenarman
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana

Don't worry RX the human brain never stops learning, there is always hope.

Thanks old timer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2020 at 3:17:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Steinbeck was barely into his 30's
when he wrote it. Idealistic as
hell, the commies were big on
recruiting writers and actors.

"The Grapes of Wrath" was one of the only USA movies allowed in the USSR. The commies thought it would show their people how bad life in the USA was. It was pulled when people noticed that even that poor in the USA they still had a car.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2020 at 3:32:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
"The Grapes of Wrath" was one of the only USA movies allowed in the USSR. The commies thought it would show their people how bad life in the USA was. It was pulled when people noticed that even that poor in the USA they still had a car.

Don't if this happened in the US or not. In Canada the prairie farmers couldn't afford gas for their cars so they hooked the horses to them. They were called "Bennett Buggies" after the Prime Minister of Canada at the time.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 9th, 2020 at 3:33:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: rxwine
Thanks old timer.

You respect your elders you young whippersnapper.
August 9th, 2020 at 4:02:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Don't if this happened in the US or not. In Canada the prairie farmers couldn't afford gas for their cars so they hooked the horses to them. They were called "Bennett Buggies" after the Prime Minister of Canada at the time.

Even today the "poor" in the USA are among the top wealth of the world. It is why so many people want to come here. Have to wonder why some countries there has not been an uprising to ask to be a US Territory.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2020 at 4:15:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Even today the "poor" in the USA are among the top wealth of the world. .

I watch lots of food/travel videos
from India and Asia. I often see
peoples homes. A blanket for
a door, a crude cooking area,
no furniture, but there is always
a TV. The average 'poor' person
in the US has a car, a microwave,
a flat screen, a cell phone, an
air conditioner.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2020 at 4:52:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Even today the "poor" in the USA are among the top wealth of the world. It is why so many people want to come here. Have to wonder why some countries there has not been an uprising to ask to be a US Territory.

I did a little research and in the US they were called 'Hoover Wagons'. This quote is from the US Department of Transportation "Until our Nation could pull itself out of the Great Depression, the Hoover Wagons and the Bennett Buggies would have good roads on which to travel, and until gasoline became accessible once again, a little hay and some oats fueled the team".
August 9th, 2020 at 5:19:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I did a little research and in the US they were called 'Hoover Wagons'. This quote is from the US Department of Transportation "Until our Nation could pull itself out of the Great Depression, the Hoover Wagons and the Bennett Buggies would have good roads on which to travel, and until gasoline became accessible once again, a little hay and some oats fueled the team".

Good research! New one to me, that is very hard to do!
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2020 at 5:47:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Probably not enough horses to do that today. Maybe enough designer dogs to pull a few more cars. Poodles and bichons and whatnot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 10th, 2020 at 9:50:00 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
They were called campgrounds then,
not RV parks. It was a great read
because he made up 95% of
the characters. His wife would fly
in on weekends and they would
see shows and eat at expensive
restaurants. Steinbeck was always
a phony. He spewed the commie
line but lived the high life on his
book money.

I read it twice, how did I miss it.
Pure commie propaganda,
a Marxist manifesto. The Associated
Farmers of California dismissed
the novel as a "pack of lies" and
"communist propaganda". I didn't
even finish it the 2nd time, it
was making me ill. Soooo
melodramatic, so full of pathos
and so full of itself.

Let me clarify. In the book Travels with Charley, I don't recall any stay in an RV park by any name, (trailer park, campground or whatever).

So the growers that are depicted as violently repressing desperate migrant workers found fault with the book? Imagine that. Maybe you could tell me what passage or theme in Grapes of Wrath makes it communist so I don't have to guess.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.