Threads: 146
My understanding is you can collect
fed unemployment if you don't
qualify for state, and if you collect
state, when it runs out you can collect
federal.

For instance Uber and Lyft drivers won't
qualify for state, but will for fed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2020 at 4:45:48 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The answers to those questions and more are in this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers.amp.html

Quote:
Under the plan, eligible workers will get an extra $600 per week on top of their state benefit.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 31st, 2020 at 5:04:15 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I will have to look into that. My COBRA amount is almost $800 a month just for me. Fortunately my wife is on a separate policy.

Almost assuredly you should piggyback on to her policy! If it is an employer sponsored plan, her additional costs to change single to family will be pennies compared to the dollars your new plan will cost!
March 31st, 2020 at 5:06:18 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Almost assuredly you should piggyback on to her policy! If it is an employer sponsored plan, her additional costs to change single to family will be pennies compared to the dollars your new plan will cost!

Thank you, I asked her yesterday to check into that. I am hoping to keep it under $500 additional.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 31st, 2020 at 6:35:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: DRich
Thank you, I asked her yesterday to check into that. I am hoping to keep it under $500 additional.

I have subsidized health care as a result of my last contract before I retired. I pay 25% of the cost of what the hospital has to pay for me. When I was single it was around $200 a month. Now married, my wife AND her children are fully covered and it is around $450 a month. So an extra $3k a year. She was paying $15k a year or so for her policy before we got married.
April 1st, 2020 at 5:26:05 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Evenbob
My understanding is you can collect
fed unemployment if you don't
qualify for state, and if you collect
state, when it runs out you can collect
federal.

For instance Uber and Lyft drivers won't
qualify for state, but will for fed.

Doesn't all unemployment run through state systems even when federally funded?

I think that is a lot of the disconnect--many state systems are mired in a different decade and cannot be easily adjusted. Adjusting lengths of time people can be paid (adding additional weeks of benefits) may be easy; not as easy to add new types of people now covered by the package.
April 1st, 2020 at 9:17:15 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Doesn't all unemployment run through state systems even when federally funded?

I think that is a lot of the disconnect--many state systems are mired in a different decade and cannot be easily adjusted. Adjusting lengths of time people can be paid (adding additional weeks of benefits) may be easy; not as easy to had new types of people now covered by the package.

That is correct you always have to apply through your state of record.

The Federal guidelines just provide more funding and instructions for states to approve people.
April 4th, 2020 at 2:57:10 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: SOOPOO
I have subsidized health care as a result of my last contract before I retired. I pay 25% of the cost of what the hospital has to pay for me. When I was single it was around $200 a month. Now married, my wife AND her children are fully covered and it is around $450 a month. So an extra $3k a year. She was paying $15k a year or so for her policy before we got married.

I just found out it will be $620 a month to add me to my wifes work policy. Not as bad as I thought but still a little more than the $500 I was hoping for.
April 6th, 2020 at 7:46:07 AM permalink
Mosca
Just found out that my employer is maintaining our health care while we are out. We pay it back in increments when we return, but that’s okay. This is cheaper and easier for everyone.
April 6th, 2020 at 6:04:47 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Mosca
Just found out that my employer is maintaining our health care while we are out. We pay it back in increments when we return, but that’s okay. This is cheaper and easier for everyone.

You are fortunate and I am jealous.
Page 3 of 6<123456>