A Pittsburgh toilet

Page 2 of 2<12
April 7th, 2020 at 11:33:59 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Yeah, my aunt has a tiny house with a shower bathroom like that.

My grandparent's house had a toilet in the basement in the utility room. It was partitioned off with painted plywood on the side and with a shower curtain, but I suspect the partition and curtain weren't original.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 7th, 2020 at 12:11:03 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I like it. Houses around here all have basement bowls, but I've not seen one without its own room. Seems necessary for us dirty folk.

And the bathroom being all shower is the superior option. Only experienced it on the sea, and I said back then I wanted it in home. The only downside is dropping fresh clothes. The upside is cleaning amounts to "hose it off". Way better than trying to scrub the back of the toilet
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 7th, 2020 at 2:09:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I saw them in some MI basements. Came
in handy when a kid decided he wanted
his own bedroom in the basement. Lots
of privacy. People who live in states
where basements are uncommon don't
know what they're missing. Basements
add a huge potential living area to
most houses.

The flip I just did we painted the basement floor really nice, walls too. If I was younger I would have kept the basement to live and rented out the upstairs. In college it would have been luxury living.
The President is a fink.
April 7th, 2020 at 3:13:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The flip I just did we painted the basement floor really nice, walls too. If I was younger I would have kept the basement to live and rented out the upstairs. In college it would have been luxury living.

On new houses they often cheat
and build it on a small hill or get
a dozer to change the lot so the
basement can be a walk out and
is finished as a living space and
included in the square footage.

Some of the best times I had in
my teens were spent in other
kids parents basements. You
can do anything, parents never
go down there. They portrayed
it well on That 70's Show.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2020 at 7:49:12 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
n

s not used in the suburbs. There were real 2nds there. It was a city thing. I always heard "Pittsburgh Second" but assumed there were for example "Boston Seconds" in Boston.

The toilet was not enclosed, so I am reasonably sure it fits. The shower had a ring around the top, and a curtain.
April 8th, 2020 at 3:42:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
On new houses they often cheat
and build it on a small hill or get
a dozer to change the lot so the
basement can be a walk out and
is finished as a living space and
included in the square footage.

Was no need where I grew up, it was all on a hill. When I got older and heard people brag about "walk out basements" I thought nothing of it, literally every house in my neighborhood had that naturally.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2020 at 11:16:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Was no need where I grew up, it was all on a hill. When I got older and heard people brag about "walk out basements" I thought nothing of it, literally every house in my neighborhood had that naturally.

I have a friend on a hill with a
walk out basement. His house
was listed as 3500 sq ft, but
1000 of that was the finished
basement. If it's a regular
basement they can't include
it in the sq footage. They would
have to say 2500 sq ft with a
full basement.

We have something here called
a Michigan basement. It was
dug out after the house was built
and has a low ceiling and dirt
floors and is basically useless
for anything except storage.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2020 at 4:08:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

$410,000 4 bd 2 ba 1,694 sqft Pittsburgh, PA 15215 with WALK OUT BASEMENT. Hard to believe from this photo

-----------------------
The home I lived in until I was age 20 was built in 1940 with 1,365 square feet and one bath (family of four). The lot was 45' wide and the house was 28' wide. It had a door that led to a stair platform where you could walk up a few stairs to the kitchen or down to the basement. After the coal bin was replaced with an oil boiler, my dad put a toilet and a sink in the basement.

I'm not sure if that was legally a walk-out basement, but the square footage of the basement is not credited to the house on tax records
Page 2 of 2<12