stuck in traffic?

Page 1 of 212>
May 9th, 2013 at 6:44:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Buy a TF-X which is an electric vehicle no less. I really want one.
May 10th, 2013 at 1:05:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Uh, ain't the Osprey the same thing only for the military ..... and they keep crashing.
May 10th, 2013 at 8:52:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Uh, ain't the Osprey the same thing only for the military ..... and they keep crashing.

Yes, the Osprey as the same tiltrotor. And the prospect of 30 of these things rising out of the same traffic jam is a light daunting.

The current version the auto/plane that this company sells requires a runway and must be driven to a nearby small airport for take off and landing. I suspect that if they build this new one, that the FAA will not permit take off and landing on any random city street or field.

Also 1 megawatt = 1,341 horsepower . So you are talking about a pretty powerful electric engine.
May 10th, 2013 at 12:15:35 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
“The FAA will not permit” lol. That’s funny =)

If I had a flying car, I’d certainly lead the nation in unauthorized takeoffs. Here’s a question, one that came up as a result of one of our many bizarre workplace conversations…

Who polices the skies? I mean, I must assume the FAA as well as “regular” police have a hand in it. But really, if I were to assemble my own ultra light chopper in my shed and launch it from my back yard, who’s going to stop me and how would I get caught? I’m sure if I tried to go from Buffalo to NYC, that’d be an issue. But if I just want to go to the next town over or to work…
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 10th, 2013 at 12:22:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin

A Private Helicopter Pilot’s license let's you fly a helicopter during the day or the night under favorable weather conditions. You are allowed to have passengers in the helicopter with you (with certain restrictions), but they cannot be paying you to perform any services for them, such as transportation, sightseeing, line inspections, etc. You can fly anywhere in the United States in approved flying corridors. Essentially it’s a lot like having a private automobile driver’s license, you can cart yourself and your friends around to the places you want to go, but that’s about it.

I don't think you can build a device and fly to work without a license
May 10th, 2013 at 1:02:14 PM permalink
Face
That’s what I’m saying, though. I agree, I cannot imagine that you can, speaking technically in terms of legality, just pop in a whirly bird and go for a spin (pun!). What I’m saying is, speaking technically in terms of ability, I could do just that. Sure, it’d be highly illegal and dangerous and blah-blah-blah, but really, who is going to stop me?

I’d suppose that an ultra light chopper or a Piper Cub sized plane could be picked up by radar, but is it precise enough that one would be likely to get caught? My ignorance says it’s not. Applying that thought to a car such as you’ve shown and it’d be impossible lest the 5-0 kept a visual on you. You’d be up and down in a matter of minutes.
May 10th, 2013 at 3:01:28 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
They'll shoot you down with a drone Face.
May 10th, 2013 at 3:13:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
That’s what I’m saying, though. I agree, I cannot imagine that you can, speaking technically in terms of legality, just pop in a whirly bird and go for a spin (pun!). What I’m saying is, speaking technically in terms of ability, I could do just that. Sure, it’d be highly illegal and dangerous and blah-blah-blah, but really, who is going to stop me?

I’d suppose that an ultra light chopper or a Piper Cub sized plane could be picked up by radar, but is it precise enough that one would be likely to get caught? My ignorance says it’s not. Applying that thought to a car such as you’ve shown and it’d be impossible lest the 5-0 kept a visual on you. You’d be up and down in a matter of minutes.

Larry Walters was an American truck driver who took flight on July 2, 1982, in an ordinary patio chair with 45 helium-filled weather balloons attached to it. Walters rose to an altitude of over 15,000 feet and floated from San Pedro, California, into controlled airspace near Los Angeles International Airport. That height will make you dizzy and weak, but you shouldn't necessarily pass out.

He was immediately arrested by waiting members of the Long Beach Police Department. Regional safety inspector Neal Savoy was reported to have said, "We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed. If he had a pilot's license, we'd suspend that. But he doesn't." Walters initially was fined $4,000 for violations under U.S. Federal Aviation Regulations, including operating an aircraft within an airport traffic area "without establishing and maintaining two-way communications with the control tower." Walters appealed, and the fine was reduced to $1,500.

A charge of operating a "civil aircraft for which there is not currently in effect an airworthiness certificate" was dropped, as it was not applicable to this class of aircraft.

At the age of 44 he died by suicide (1993).
===================================

Class G airspace includes all airspace below flight level 600 not otherwise classified as controlled. Class G is completely uncontrolled.

So I suppose a car/helicopter that could take you 10 miles (which would get you out of most construction zones and/or traffic jams, would be only subject to rules of the road. If you could land on an access road, and then drive back onto the main highway, I suppose it would be legal. At a quarter million a pop, that would be a pricey convenience.
May 10th, 2013 at 3:48:51 PM permalink
Face
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
They'll shoot you down with a drone Face.

Pfft.

Detect launch. Place incoming on wing tip. At 10NM, begin dropping of chaff and flare and start a slow, arcing turn toward incoming. Continue dropping chaff and flare. At 3NM, break hard toward incoming. Watch incoming zoom past your 6 and explode harmlessly =)

Or, just hope it’s radar guided and drop to MOE. If it is, lose yourself in the treetops and watch it take out a neighborhood. If it’s not, go out in a blaze of glory =D

Quote: Pacomartin
Larry Walters…

Awesome. Man’s got balls, I’ll give him that. Of course flying into LAX (lol) is gonna get you nicked. Wonder what would’ve happen if he just went over / through the desert.

Quote: Pacomartin
Class G airspace includes all airspace below flight level 600 not otherwise classified as controlled. Class G is completely uncontrolled.

Huh. So, if you just fly MOE everywhere, you’re good to go? I can deal with that, sign me up =)
May 10th, 2013 at 4:11:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
Huh. So, if you just fly MOE everywhere, you’re good to go? I can deal with that, sign me up =)

Anything with a motor requires an operator's license, and an airworthiness inspection. Even if you pass those, local ordinances against operating aircraft will prevent you from starting up the motor. You could do it once or twice, but eventually, the local cops will track you down.

There was this guy, who used to fly a helicopter from his backyard to work. His neighbor's complained about the noise and shut him down.
Page 1 of 212>