1 vote (50%)
2 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (50%)

2 members have voted

May 6th, 2020 at 1:12:38 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've continued to practice and now win almost every time, but still screw up once in a while; sometimes due to stalemate, especially if it's not my 'usual' edge of the board

there is a large element of memorization of the right moves once you get the opposing King to the edge, I think you said that as well

I'd explain the bad play of the computer as having to do with a human being able to use intuition to play this scenario after much practice ~ I might try to see if play is improved by testing for one move at a time in the analysis section of chess.com
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 6th, 2020 at 1:47:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
well, if the chess computer doesn't give you any more trouble than that, not too many humans are going to do better, except for that tendency to run to the edge, that's weird for a smart program like that

I have to assume you find level 10 unbeatable in a regular game. Or maybe even L7 or L8?

I haven't played a serious game against a computer in decades. I'm afraid to go there, because it will suck up my time like a black hole. Plus, my chess is pretty awful. I'd estimate my level around 1400, at best.

I've continued to practice and now win almost every time, but still screw up once in a while; sometimes due to stalemate, especially if it's not my 'usual' edge of the board

there is a large element of memorization of the right moves once you get the opposing King to the edge, I think you said that as well

I'd explain the bad play of the computer as having to do with a human being able to use intuition to play this scenario after much practice ~ I might try to see if play is improved by testing for one move at a time in the analysis section of chess.com

I've played at least 100 BNK vs K games, mostly against this demo and my mother-in-law. I'm at a place where I screw up much less and almost never do once my opponent is against the ropes.

I am glad you are also enjoying the challenge.

As to the computer not playing a strong game, I agree, computers are bad at seeing the long game, but outstanding seeing several moves ahead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the strongest humans still beat the strongest computers in the game of go, which requires more long-term strategy than chess.

For my newsletter this week, I plan to write about it and thought I would make a better video to accompany it.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 6th, 2020 at 2:05:29 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
As to the computer not playing a strong game, I agree, computers are bad at seeing the long game, but outstanding seeing several moves ahead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the strongest humans still beat the strongest computers in the game of go, which requires more long-term strategy than chess.

Actually computers started beating us at Go just a few short years ago. They're gonna take over the world haha!!

May 6th, 2020 at 2:07:16 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
there is a large element of memorization of the right moves once you get the opposing King to the edge

Yeah once you learn the "trick" to forcing the King into the corner it's like riding a bike. You'll never forget at that point.
May 6th, 2020 at 4:07:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Shrek
Actually computers started beating us at Go just a few short years ago.

I did not know that. Thank you for the correction.
May 6th, 2020 at 5:27:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Shrek
Yeah once you learn the "trick" to forcing the King into the corner it's like riding a bike. You'll never forget at that point.
Actually what stumped me for quite a while was that it's not as simple as 'while your King keeps the other King on the edge, push by blocking the white square, then blocking the black square, etc' because the knight has to maneuver to block the next square of his responsibility, giving the opposing King time to make mischief. If he was all the way over to the wrong corner, and isn't a pushover, you actually have to release him from the edge for a bit and collar him again
May 6th, 2020 at 9:07:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Actually what stumped me for quite a while was that it's not as simple as 'while your King keeps the other King on the edge, push by blocking the white square, then blocking the black square, etc' because the knight has to maneuver to block the next square of his responsibility, giving the opposing King time to make mischief. If he was all the way over to the wrong corner, and isn't a pushover, you actually have to release him from the edge for a bit and collar him again

This is absolutely true. It requires precision to get the enemy king from one corner to the other. Blow one move and he can escape. Often the enemy king has options and you have to know how to handle each one. Given the 50 move rule, there isn't that much room for error.

The overall challenge requires logic and common sense to get the enemy to the edge and in a way you keep him there and then it's more mechanical to reel him in.
May 7th, 2020 at 10:53:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
odiousgambit was kind enough to play the endgame in question over the phone yesterday, as I recorded the moves. We started with the pieces in the positions you would put them in at the beginning of a game. I moved first. Here is a summary of the game:

1. We both started by making a rush for the center.
2. OG danced around the center 16 squares for the first 10 sets of moves.
3. I got OG to the 7th row on his 11th move.
4. I got OG to the 8th row (B8) on his 16th move.
5. On his 17th move I got OG into the corner at A8.
6. From there, it was the usual process of driving him down the A column.
7. I check-mated him on my move 36.

I'd like to thank OG for his time and participation. He is a gentleman and a scholar.
May 7th, 2020 at 11:57:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
36 moves wasn't the worst performance in the world from my perspective, but ...

I guess I did OK in the first part of the game, though the Wizard made zero mistakes

I definitely made it too easy once he got me to the edge of the board. Decision time was once I was scooted out of the 'wrong corner' ... against someone who isn't prepared, the thing to do is make a mad dash. It can be alarming to realize the singleton King is going to get out of the board edge, causing a blunder perhaps and the chance to get back to the center of the board or near it, and then 50 moves [a draw] looms.

But I knew Michael would be ready for this, so I tried to alternate directions, which sometimes confuses [me anyway] as to the best move. This was a forlorn hope, and I think I did it slightly wrong too. So I don't know if it will make a good video, sorry.

btw, at chess.com you can play each other starting with a new game. Or make a special set up to play this scenario against the computer, but not another person! [or I couldn't figure out how]. If somebody knows how to do this at some site please inform us, doing it by phone was archaic and creates tedious book-keeping

I urge someone else to volunteer to play the lone King so a good video can be made!
May 7th, 2020 at 11:58:57 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have been watching a lot of this guy's chess videos:

agadmator's Chess Channel
622K subscribers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5YbN5WLFD8dLIegT5QAbA

He just finished covering the Magnus Invitational.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 2 of 3<123>