Book banning

Page 2 of 3<123>
May 1st, 2020 at 3:31:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
None of the books were on there for political reasons that I can tell.
It was because of vulgar language, drug/alcohol use, violence and sex.

Same reason you cannot show R rated movies in most classes without a parent signature....

Its not about making history disappear, its just an adult filter.

(Which I don't agree with by the way), but the reason why they are removed from required reason have to do with content not philosophy from what I can gather.
This is not some 1984 type move to hide or change history.....

PC is not just about politics. All of the sudden the kiddies can't read classic books?
The President is a fink.
May 1st, 2020 at 3:55:51 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
PC is not just about politics. All of the sudden the kiddies can't read classic books?

Good god, you can tell that guy is in his 20's. Only someone in their 20's could have such wacky positions.

He also wants the government to have everybody's biometric data so that it can keep tabs on everyone 24/7. 🙄
May 1st, 2020 at 8:17:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Correct me if I am wrong (I don't like misrepresenting people, like others here....) . But, you are against school forcing vaccines on all kids if I recall? You say it should be up to parents?

This move came as a result of some parents not wanting their kids to read adult content books. Should parents be forced to have their kids read books that they don't think are age appropriate? Or should it be optional for kids to read adult books if their parents decide it is appropriate?

You will probably say there is no comparison. But, there is. Both come down to parents perceiving that is best for their kids.

(Again I don't agree with either position).

Also, its worth pointing out this is a conservative run district (like much of AK), so you cannot blame it on leftist districts running crazy.......
May 1st, 2020 at 8:46:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Correct me if I am wrong (I don't like misrepresenting people, like others here....) . But, you are against school forcing vaccines on all kids if I recall? You say it should be up to parents?

This move came as a result of some parents not wanting their kids to read adult content books. Should parents be forced to have their kids read books that they don't think are age appropriate? Or should it be optional for kids to read adult books if their parents decide it is appropriate?

You will probably say there is no comparison. But, there is. Both come down to parents perceiving that is best for their kids.

(Again I don't agree with either position).

Also, its worth pointing out this is a conservative run district (like much of AK), so you cannot blame it on leftist districts running crazy.......

How does the freedom to not vax relate to banning books?

Seems to me you are just defending state control on both ends.

We are not talking about freedom not to read books, we are talking about BANNING books.
The President is a fink.
May 1st, 2020 at 9:05:10 AM permalink
Gandler
How does the freedom to not vax relate to banning books?

Seems to me you are just defending state control on both ends.

We are not talking about freedom not to read books, we are talking about BANNING books.

That is not correct, it is not about BANNING books.
It is about removing books from the required reading list. (Kids cannot be forced to read these books).

For example when I was in H.S. I was required to read The Great Gatsby and then do a bunch of projects on it. Kids will still be allowed to read The Great Gatsby, but cannot be forced to as part of the lesson plan.

The books will still be in the library and allowed in school.....

It has everything to do with your views on parental choice. Parents in this district do not want their kids to be forced to read books with drugs/alcohol and sex in order to pass a class (and graduate). The books are still allowed to be read by other kids as supplemental reading.
May 1st, 2020 at 11:02:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
That is not correct, it is not about BANNING books.
It is about removing books from the required reading list. (Kids cannot be forced to read these books).

For example when I was in H.S. I was required to read The Great Gatsby and then do a bunch of projects on it. Kids will still be allowed to read The Great Gatsby, but cannot be forced to as part of the lesson plan.

The books will still be in the library and allowed in school.....

It has everything to do with your views on parental choice. Parents in this district do not want their kids to be forced to read books with drugs/alcohol and sex in order to pass a class (and graduate). The books are still allowed to be read by other kids as supplemental reading.

I wonder if this means parents can pull kids from gay sex education?
The President is a fink.
May 1st, 2020 at 11:09:39 AM permalink
Gandler
I wonder if this means parents can pull kids from gay sex education?

If they have a problem with a curriculum. They can do what these parents did, lobby the school board to review the content and determine if the class or an aspect of the class should be made optional.

I don't agree with these parents. But, they went through the proper channels, and ended up getting what they wanted..... This is why you make presentation to the school board (you don't organize storming and walkouts of the schools over vaccination policies like the person you are idolizing in the other thread did....)

We elect the school board, and trust them to make sound judgment and react to concerns of parents. If they don't react properly don't re-elect them. That is the beauty of local government..... It is very easy to vote out the school board.

This goes to show the importance of voicing concerns through the proper channels and not through mob rule.
May 1st, 2020 at 11:53:19 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
But, you are against school forcing vaccines on all kids if I recall? You say it should be up to parents?

Um, if vaccinations truly work, then why does it even matter to you if others are vaccinated?? 🤔
May 1st, 2020 at 1:39:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
If they have a problem with a curriculum. They can do what these parents did, lobby the school board to review the content and determine if the class or an aspect of the class should be made optional.

I don't agree with these parents. But, they went through the proper channels, and ended up getting what they wanted..... This is why you make presentation to the school board (you don't organize storming and walkouts of the schools over vaccination policies like the person you are idolizing in the other thread did....)

We elect the school board, and trust them to make sound judgment and react to concerns of parents. If they don't react properly don't re-elect them. That is the beauty of local government..... It is very easy to vote out the school board.

This goes to show the importance of voicing concerns through the proper channels and not through mob rule.

Sounds like the answer is home schooling.
The President is a fink.
May 1st, 2020 at 2:06:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Sounds like the answer is home schooling.

That is another legal right you have if you hate public and private schools.....

That is another great example that parents have many legal options available to them if they have a problem with the curriculum of some or all schools....

You don't need to storm the school and stage walk outs to get your way (which never have worked once that I can find by the way....)

Personally I believe thanks to COVID-19 online school (even high school) will become more normalized, and that will give parents greater control over the courses and content of each lesson. Online HS was even an option for me back in 2009 (I did not take it, I was in a regular public school), so now in 2020, over 10 years later online schools are more efficient than ever, and I think COVID-19 shows how unnecessary being inside a physical school is to learn with the exception of certain sciences and trade classes....

I think we are moving towards an online school and tech-school blended future.... Personally if I could go back in time I would have chose the HS/tech school blend where you attend HS in the morning then and then do training towards your certification after lunch at the designated tech school site, that way you graduate HS with a HS diploma and a certification (something in computers would have been smart at the time). But, my parents looked down on trade school (another attitude that I hope changes) so I was talked into attending regular HS full time.....

Honestly the ideal start in life for anyone who wants my advice and is in high school would be : Take the hybrid route, taking AP classes all morning and a tech certification in the afternoon. Join the Army Reserves Split Ops program, attend basic training during the summer of your junior and senior year, return, graduate with a HS diploma and an associates degree worth of AP classes, attend Army AIT the summer of graduation for whatever your signed up for (something technical preferably), return home and between AP classes and Army classes that count as college credits you will be able to get a B.S for any college within 2 years if you want to be a full time student probably less if you are super motivated). Anyway that is my advice to any young people for what its worth (not a path for everyone, but you would graduate HS with a massive academic and certification lead on your peers).
Page 2 of 3<123>