Strictly Old People Music

May 13th, 2020 at 3:27:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 963
Dyango (born March 5, 1940), singing a pop version of The Concierto de Aranjuez which premiered on 9 November 1940 at the Palau de la Música Catalana, in Barcelona. The author objected to people singing his guitar concierto in the 1960's and 1970s, but it has now been sung by nearly every important singer in the world.

Dyango's Spanish has a very traditional Europan accent. Compare it to Sarah Brightman's Spanish in her album released in 1997.Brassed Off is a 1996 comedy-drama featuring the tune played on the flugelhorn.

The political situation in Spain was highly charged when this piece was written and many people believe it was inspired by the bombing of Guernica. Decades later the author confessed that the inspiration was as a result of his personal life and the sadness .
May 13th, 2020 at 5:21:40 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 29
I am not sure that I fit into the old person category, and I rarely listen to music and think most of it is just noise. I do like me a few folk songs by people like Gordon Lightfoot,, James Taylor and a few others.

My favorite song of all time is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
May 13th, 2020 at 7:01:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 49
Quote: DRich

My favorite song of all time is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

Mine
Blue Yodel No. 8
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 13th, 2020 at 8:33:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 963
Quote: DRich
I am not sure that I fit into the old person category...

You don't have to be old to post here. It's just the music has to be originally performed by old people(I was imagining older than Elvis Presley's debut album on March 23, 1956). I am open to interpretation as to what "old" means.

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" commemorated the sinking of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior on November 10, 1975. The song was written less than a year later.

“Blue Yodel No. 8 (Mule Skinner Blues)”, released on February 6, 1931.

Sous le Ciel de Paris is a song initially written for the 1951 French film Sous le ciel de Paris, directed by Julien Duvivier. In the film the song was sung by Jean Bretonnière. In the same year it was recorded by Anny Gould and by Juliette Gréco. Thanks to Juliette Greco and subsequent recordings by renowned artists such as Édith Piaf and Yves Montand the song became a symbol of Paris and France for the whole world.

Yves Montand (13 October 1921 – 9 November 1991) who took Marilyn Monroes as a lover was the quintessential French movie star.

Nataly Dawn (born October 29, 1986), is an American who sings a beautiful cove of Sous le Ciel and she isn't old.