Smartphone poll, what are you using, what carrier, pay alot?

Page 2 of 2<12

Thread Rating:

Poll
3 votes (50%)
2 votes (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (50%)
2 votes (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (33.33%)

6 members have voted

May 20th, 2020 at 10:46:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Bought a Samsung A20 Its another cheap phone but not too cheap. 160
Pretty happy with my new phone

A friend of mine who also had a Samsung J phone via Virgin Mobile switched to Metro-by-T-Mobile when Virgin closed up shop. She paid $50 for her new Samsung A20. She is very happy with the features and camera on the A20.

The A20 has one of those new Type C USB ports that first came out on MacIntosh laptops a few years ago. They are much more efficient and make Solar powered batteries possible.
https://litsolar.com/

Bought it through Boost mobile which bought Virgin mobile who I started with and staying with boost
Just pay 40 a month, no contract. They use T-Mobile network

I was not aware of a $40 Boost Mobile plan. They advertise the following plans on their website.
$35/mo. 3 Gigs 4G LTE | Hotspot & Tidal both 6 months | Unlimited Data, Talk & Text | SD Video Streaming | Unlimited Music Streaming
$50/mo. Unlimited Gigs | Hotspot 12 GB | Tidal 6 months | Unlimited Data, Talk & Text | SD Video Streaming

If you don't have an Internet Service Provider at home you need Unlimited Gigs.

How much data are you getting?
May 21st, 2020 at 1:24:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Speaking of smartphones. I watch a ton travel videos,
these guys who travel for a living and post YouTube
videos. I'm constantly amazed at how smartphones
are changing the world. You may live in a country like
India, or Sri Lanka, or Nepal, or Pakistan, and not be
able to afford a computer and Wi-Fi. But you can
afford a cheap smartphone. The people in these
countries spend a lot of time on YouTube and Facebook
seeing how the rest of the world lives. The internet
shrank the world and in the last 10 years smartphones
have shrunk it even further.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2020 at 3:01:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
A friend of mine who also had a Samsung J phone via Virgin Mobile switched to Metro-by-T-Mobile when Virgin closed up shop. She paid $50 for her new Samsung A20. She is very happy with the features and camera on the A20.

The A20 has one of those new Type C USB ports that first came out on MacIntosh laptops a few years ago. They are much more efficient and make Solar powered batteries possible.
https://litsolar.com/

I was not aware of a $40 Boost Mobile plan. They advertise the following plans on their website.
$35/mo. 3 Gigs 4G LTE | Hotspot & Tidal both 6 months | Unlimited Data, Talk & Text | SD Video Streaming | Unlimited Music Streaming
$50/mo. Unlimited Gigs | Hotspot 12 GB | Tidal 6 months | Unlimited Data, Talk & Text | SD Video Streaming

If you don't have an Internet Service Provider at home you need Unlimited Gigs.

How much data are you getting?

Not thrilled with the Type C USB port because all my old charging cables worthless, just use for my Amazon Fire tablet now.
Oh well, planning on buying some back up charging cables.
40 a month is what is what I paid with Virgin Mobile. When they switched me to boost, they kept my monthly price the same. $40 Unlimited Talk/Text/Data
Even though on furlough, company still paying for my internet
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 21st, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Not thrilled with the Type C USB port because all my old charging cables worthless, just use for my Amazon Fire tablet now.
Oh well, planning on buying some back up charging cables.

Why You Should Switch to USB-C Fast Charging Now | PUBLISHED JULY 16, 2019

40 a month is what is what I paid with Virgin Mobile. When they switched me to boost, they kept my monthly price the same. $40 Unlimited Talk/Text/Data

It sounds like you paid about $100 more for the phone, so in the first year your outlay is about the same as going to Metro By T-Mobile.Also with the Metro by T-Mobile you get Hotspot Data 5GB and Google One 100GB included which may be of little or no value to you.

Of course, the big unknown is that T-Mobile told regulators that they would sell Boost Mobile to Dish Network in order to get approval for the merger. Since Dish has never been a cellular company, you don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Metro by T-Mobile merged with T-Mobile In October 2012, so it is unlikely to change in the near future.
May 21st, 2020 at 1:39:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Why You Should Switch to USB-C Fast Charging Now | PUBLISHED JULY 16, 2019

It sounds like you paid about $100 more for the phone, so in the first year your outlay is about the same as going to Metro By T-Mobile.Also with the Metro by T-Mobile you get Hotspot Data 5GB and Google One 100GB included which may be of little or no value to you.

Of course, the big unknown is that T-Mobile told regulators that they would sell Boost Mobile to Dish Network in order to get approval for the merger. Since Dish has never been a cellular company, you don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Metro by T-Mobile merged with T-Mobile In October 2012, so it is unlikely to change in the near future.

Yea I know USB-C is the future
I just realized I did have an extra cord. It was for my Nintendo Switch
Still ordered some extras
Not sure "Hotspot Data 5GB and Google One 100GB" would be something I would use.
The primary uses of my smartphone, Google maps in the car giving me directions (I live by this app, by far my favorite) calling and receiving calls of course, texting, FB Instant Messaging, taking a pic and uploading to facebook (I do this on every golf outing). Some games.
I heard Mark Benioff said he runs his company from his smart phone
I'm still a laptop person doing most of my internet activities on my laptop including banking which I think is safer on a home laptop using a secure home network.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 23rd, 2020 at 6:02:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Speaking of smartphone, I'm listening to jazz on my tablet and on my phone I want to ask Google a question and before I can ask it Google tells me the artist and the song that I'm listening to. I go what the heck. So I tested it on another song and it gets it right every time after just a few bars. How is that even possible.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2020 at 7:05:04 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 2 of 2<12