Black Jogging Enthusiast Killed by Racist Vigilantes For Making Sure Construction Site was Safe

Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »
May 20th, 2020 at 5:04:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Link to source?

Since it was live broadcast, I'll have to do a search.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2020 at 5:19:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Since it was live broadcast, I'll have to do a search.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have not seen that said at all, even after reading a lot of pro-jogger pieces.

I have seen the interview referenced several times where the owner of the property said that he was there but did not appear to steal anything. But, I have not seen him comment on anyone else being there.
May 20th, 2020 at 5:30:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
I am not saying you are wrong, but I have not seen that said at all, even after reading a lot of pro-jogger pieces.

It was actually a video piece showing other unknown people in the house. I only did a quick search, and did find a tik tok video of a white guy running with a TV down a road, asking why nobody stopped him. I'll look again later.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2020 at 5:32:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Heard a story about a gas meter reader went in the basement and the woman locked the door behind him. Demanded money or something. When he refused she said he had to wait until her husband got home. He found and broke a window and got the heck out of there.
I had thought about compiling story's for a book about catching people stealing power and how they were doing it.

Some power thieves are pretty sophisticated. Several power thieves were caught growing weed, because they were afraid to have huge electric bills.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 20th, 2020 at 5:42:10 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
I had thought about compiling story's for a book about catching people stealing power and how they were doing it.

Some power thieves are pretty sophisticated. Several power thieves were caught growing weed, because they were afraid to have huge electric bills.

Grow ops were absolutely rampant in BC for many years. For years our service entrances were flushed into an exterior wall usually with a 2"RGS mast up through the roof. The growers would take a saw to the mast and cut out a slot. They would then screw a large wood screw into the cables in the pipe and put large alligator clips on them and run the power to the lighting. They had a lot of jam and enough skill hardly ever screwed up doing it. One of the major ways they would get caught is that the weakened mast would collapse in a wind or ice storm.

My company probably repaired a couple of dozen over a 5 year period.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 20th, 2020 at 5:56:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: kenarman
Grow ops were absolutely rampant in BC for many years. For years our service entrances were flushed into an exterior wall usually with a 2"RGS mast up through the roof. The growers would take a saw to the mast and cut out a slot. They would then screw a large wood screw into the cables in the pipe and put large alligator clips on them and run the power to the lighting. They had a lot of jam and enough skill hardly ever screwed up doing it. One of the major ways they would get caught is that the weakened mast would collapse in a wind or ice storm.

My company probably repaired a couple of dozen over a 5 year period.
That's one of my favorites.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 20th, 2020 at 6:33:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Thanks for posting the original post. I've watched the shooting. The fact that Arbery had a gun charge as a teenager leads me to believe that he was not a saint.

That all being said, he seemed to be jogging bothering nobody at the time he was confronted.

If some random guy with a rifle comes at me while I'm jogging, I consider my life in danger. I consider it 100% appropriate for Arbery to try and disarm the guy pointing the rifle at him. How could he possibly know whether the guy was or was not going to shoot him for being black?

I'm sure the defense will say that the shooter was trying to make a citizen's arrest and only shot Arbery when Arbery attacked him.

This is my take on it...... Since no person, and even no property, was in danger at the time of the confrontation, the killer had no reason to confront Arbery; he just should have alerted the police. The subsequent escalation was unnecessary. I'm not sure what level of murder/manslaughter the killer should be convicted of, but to me the killing was criminal.
May 20th, 2020 at 7:28:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
Thanks for posting the original post. I've watched the shooting. The fact that Arbery had a gun charge as a teenager leads me to believe that he was not a saint.

That all being said, he seemed to be jogging bothering nobody at the time he was confronted.

If some random guy with a rifle comes at me while I'm jogging, I consider my life in danger. I consider it 100% appropriate for Arbery to try and disarm the guy pointing the rifle at him. How could he possibly know whether the guy was or was not going to shoot him for being black?

I'm sure the defense will say that the shooter was trying to make a citizen's arrest and only shot Arbery when Arbery attacked him.

This is my take on it...... Since no person, and even no property, was in danger at the time of the confrontation, the killer had no reason to confront Arbery; he just should have alerted the police. The subsequent escalation was unnecessary. I'm not sure what level of murder/manslaughter the killer should be convicted of, but to me the killing was criminal.

They said they thought Arbery might have a gun. Even if I had a gun, the only thing that would get me to pursue another guy with a gun is if he had already committed some violent assault on my family. It definitely wasn't a castle defense situation.

No matter what happens to these two guys, they will probably regret all the trouble this will cause them for the next couple years. And that's even if they get cleared.
May 20th, 2020 at 7:42:08 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
If you know anything about the legal use of deadly force, you also know the McMichael's are both going to jail for a long time. The son killed Arbery with the shotgun, but the father also winged off a shot at him from the bed of the PickUp.

The McMichaels didn't witness a crime, turns out from the surveillance video there was not a crime committed that day. Arbery could have been a known felon, but you cannot make a citizens arrest in GA without witnessing a crime. His past offenses are irrelevant.

Michael Brown committed a crime the day he was killed and then charged at a police officer attempting to take said officer's weapon in the process. Trayvon Martin decided it was a good idea to attack/assault a guy following him and got surprised when Zimmerman pulled a gun as he tried to pound George's head into the ground (and George Z is a piece of shit to be clear, but that doesn't make him guilty of anything). Both of these cases involved actual crimes having been committed within minutes of being shot. Not the case with Arbery.

I am less concerned about the racial aspect of this case versus the good 'ole boy network of law enforcement and DA's office that failed to act on the case facts for two months. I am a big LE supporter, but when they screw up, they need to be held accountable. Letting this case wither on the vine until the public release of the video doesn't sit right with me.

What would have been perfect is if Arbery had a concealed weapons permit and use that element of surprise on the McMichaels, drawn a pistol and shot them both dead. He would have been perfectly within his rights to do that given the deadly threat they posed on the road that Sunday afternoon. You are your own first responder to deadly threats in this world, no one is coming to save you. When seconds count, LE is minutes away.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
May 21st, 2020 at 4:08:41 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: JCW09
If you know anything about the legal use of deadly force, you also know the McMichael's are both going to jail for a long time. The son killed Arbery with the shotgun, but the father also winged off a shot at him from the bed of the PickUp.

The McMichaels didn't witness a crime, turns out from the surveillance video there was not a crime committed that day. Arbery could have been a known felon, but you cannot make a citizens arrest in GA without witnessing a crime. His past offenses are irrelevant.

Michael Brown committed a crime the day he was killed and then charged at a police officer attempting to take said officer's weapon in the process. Trayvon Martin decided it was a good idea to attack/assault a guy following him and got surprised when Zimmerman pulled a gun as he tried to pound George's head into the ground (and George Z is a piece of shit to be clear, but that doesn't make him guilty of anything). Both of these cases involved actual crimes having been committed within minutes of being shot. Not the case with Arbery.

I am less concerned about the racial aspect of this case versus the good 'ole boy network of law enforcement and DA's office that failed to act on the case facts for two months. I am a big LE supporter, but when they screw up, they need to be held accountable. Letting this case wither on the vine until the public release of the video doesn't sit right with me.

What would have been perfect is if Arbery had a concealed weapons permit and use that element of surprise on the McMichaels, drawn a pistol and shot them both dead. He would have been perfectly within his rights to do that given the deadly threat they posed on the road that Sunday afternoon. You are your own first responder to deadly threats in this world, no one is coming to save you. When seconds count, LE is minutes away.

I am not an expert in deadly force but it is worth pointing out the local prosecutor said it was justified and not worth prosecuting.
Another prosecutor did not get involved until pressure from outside agencies....

I agree his past offenses are irrelevant. However his past behavior is not. Both body can footage (the Walmart and the Park) show he is very aggressive towards police. He certainly shreds the notion of "the saint" that he has been described as. Though one can argue that his past stealing makes it more likely given the matching description that he was the neighborhood thief…..

I agree I am not a fan of Zimmerman (but he was clearly in the right that night), but I feel there is a comparison. Take the citizens arrest aspect out of it. Two men with guns stopped somebody with guns, they did not physically touch him (they followed him while on the phone with 911) he then charged them and tried to grab the gun.

I agree there are some bad aspects of local police (one reason I support a more federalized system, that is another topic), but I don't think that is what happened here. I think it is quite possible that they were justified (again we will know more during trial). But, even as more facts come out now, I am starting to lean more towards the shooters....

I know this, if I lived in a neighborhood where I was constantly the victim of burglary and I saw somebody who matched the description running down the street I would call the police and probably follow them too (I doubt I would make a citizens arrest because that is too legally and personally risky as this case demonstrates)……

I run a lot (currently not as much as I should), and I have been stopped by the police particularly early in the morning for running in certain areas that seem suspicious, I politely tell them who I am (and give them ID if I have it on me, which sometimes I don't if I am running). Being polite solves most of these interactions in about 2 seconds.....
Page 2 of 10<12345>Last »