Black Jogging Enthusiast Killed by Racist Vigilantes For Making Sure Construction Site was Safe

Page 9 of 10« First<678910>
June 9th, 2020 at 4:59:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.wtoc.com/2020/06/04/ga-representatives-introduce-bill-repealing-citizens-arrest-law/

Because of this there is bipartisan support to ban citizen arrest in GA.

Insanity.

The same people who want police disbanded want citizen arrest abolished and are funding both movements. How are people supposed to be arrested?

Its almost like the country is being run by criminals, which it is, but ironically Trump seems to be the only one supporting traditional rule of law....
June 9th, 2020 at 5:06:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
https://www.wtoc.com/2020/06/04/ga-representatives-introduce-bill-repealing-citizens-arrest-law/

Insanity.

The same people who want police disbanded want citizen arrest abolished and are funding both movements. How are people supposed to be arrested?

Its almost like the country is being run by criminals, which it is, but ironically Trump seems to be the only one supporting traditional rule of law....

Jo Jorgensen supports the traditional rule of law to the extent that the police should be tasked with handling violent crimes and crimes related to theft. They just need to be MUCH less aggressive when it comes to going after people for victimless crimes.

That said, I would be in favor of abolishing citizens arrest because nothing good comes from any attempt to do so. Better people who occasionally do not follow proper protocol attempting arrests than random idiots who haven't ever been trained on how to even handle the situation.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 9th, 2020 at 5:19:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Mission146
Jo Jorgensen supports the traditional rule of law to the extent that the police should be tasked with handling violent crimes and crimes related to theft. They just need to be MUCH less aggressive when it comes to going after people for victimless crimes.

That said, I would be in favor of abolishing citizens arrest because nothing good comes from any attempt to do so. Better people who occasionally do not follow proper protocol attempting arrests than random idiots who haven't ever been trained on how to even handle the situation.

How many citizens arrests are negative?

You can probably name two offhand (and in my view they are questionable at best, heavily politicized)....

Very rarely (statistically never) is anyone killed in any king of arrest for a victimless crime without provocation.

If you get pulled over for texting while driving (poor example because that kills more people than drunk drivers), and start mouthing off to the cop and then don't follow orders. How much force is justified? If you get out of the car and start approaching the cop and shouting you are probably going to be (rightfully) tased....

Don't be a moron when you get pulled over (whether by a cop or in a citizen's arrest) and you will be fine... Cops almost never start the aggression... Unless you view being stopped as aggression or oppression in which case, there is not much that will change your mind....
June 9th, 2020 at 5:27:37 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
How many citizens arrests are negative?

You can probably name two offhand (and in my view they are questionable at best, heavily politicized)....

Very rarely (statistically never) is anyone killed in any king of arrest for a victimless crime without provocation.

If you get pulled over for texting while driving (poor example because that kills more people than drunk drivers), and start mouthing off to the cop and then don't follow orders. How much force is justified? If you get out of the car and start approaching the cop and shouting you are probably going to be (rightfully) tased....

Don't be a moron when you get pulled over (whether by a cop or in a citizen's arrest) and you will be fine... Cops almost never start the aggression... Unless you view being stopped as aggression or oppression in which case, there is not much that will change your mind....

I wouldn't say that pulling over has anything to do with a citizen's arrest because Georgia law stipulates that such arrests are to be conducted over probable suspicion of a felony. Citizens can't just run around making traffic stops, fortunately.

I don't have a problem with tasing someone who gets out of a car during a traffic stop and starts approaching a cops, unless they are doing it in such a way where their hands can clearly be seen (way above their head). Even then, I think a standard protocol should be for the cop to request the person remain in the vehicle unless asked to exit. I've had stops where they've asked me to stay in the vehicle and stops where they haven't.

For me, it's also not usually about starting the aggression. It's about using more aggression than necessary inappropriately or for continuing to use aggression on compliant suspects or suspects who have already been subdued.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 9th, 2020 at 6:17:26 PM permalink
Gandler
I wouldn't say that pulling over has anything to do with a citizen's arrest because Georgia law stipulates that such arrests are to be conducted over probable suspicion of a felony. Citizens can't just run around making traffic stops, fortunately.

I don't have a problem with tasing someone who gets out of a car during a traffic stop and starts approaching a cops, unless they are doing it in such a way where their hands can clearly be seen (way above their head). Even then, I think a standard protocol should be for the cop to request the person remain in the vehicle unless asked to exit. I've had stops where they've asked me to stay in the vehicle and stops where they haven't.

For me, it's also not usually about starting the aggression. It's about using more aggression than necessary inappropriately or for continuing to use aggression on compliant suspects or suspects who have already been subdued.

What about a case of a hit and run?

Is it justified for a third party witness to intercept the person who hit and ran? And can that witness use deadly force to stop the violator?
(You never answered the first question, but I have a feeling this is the other case to which you object, and I also have a feeling you can't name any other examples without looking them up).
June 9th, 2020 at 6:32:19 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
What about a case of a hit and run?

Is it justified for a third party witness to intercept the person who hit and ran? And can that witness use deadly force to stop the violator?
(You never answered the first question, but I have a feeling this is the other case to which you object, and I also have a feeling you can't name any other examples without looking them up).

I don’t know, is a hit and run a felony? I think it’s definitely justified to follow the person who committed the hit and run and update the police as to the person’s current location. I would say deadly force is a definite no from me because it would require a person to make all kinds of assumptions about the person who did the hit and run.

I could name other examples, but none recent enough without looking them up if challenged to offer specifics.
June 9th, 2020 at 7:24:27 PM permalink
Gandler
I don’t know, is a hit and run a felony? I think it’s definitely justified to follow the person who committed the hit and run and update the police as to the person’s current location. I would say deadly force is a definite no from me because it would require a person to make all kinds of assumptions about the person who did the hit and run.

I could name other examples, but none recent enough without looking them up if challenged to offer specifics.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/crime/shot-dead-after-a-hit-and-run-a-witness-accused-of-murder-the-victim-may-have-been-in-diabetic-shock/85-21155108-40e9-4af1-b944-d1ede36356fb

This one.
June 9th, 2020 at 7:43:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/crime/shot-dead-after-a-hit-and-run-a-witness-accused-of-murder-the-victim-may-have-been-in-diabetic-shock/85-21155108-40e9-4af1-b944-d1ede36356fb

This one.

No. Not justified, she's a g*****n idiot.
June 9th, 2020 at 8:18:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Unless you view being stopped as aggression or oppression in which case, there is not much that will change your mind....

If you were out walking everyday, how many times a month would you find tolerable the police asking you why you were out, what you were doing, and where you were going before it would start bothering you?

When it's done for no probable cause I do consider it oppression. It's not their business. And I definitely find it even less tolerable if some random citizen is doing it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2020 at 3:00:36 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0

Citizens should not make arrests.

Well instructed Police are taught that any time they make an arrest, they are denying that person their Constitutional right to liberty.

Whether or not it was a lawful arrest, the person who was arrested can sue.

The officer will most often be defended by the City that employs him or her, and any awards or settlements will be paid by the City.

Citizens who make arrests, do not have that protection, and must pay for their own defense. They can be wiped out financially, even if the arrest was lawful.
Page 9 of 10« First<678910>