Wheelchair Abuse

May 15th, 2013 at 7:16:48 PM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
Each time I fly to Las Vegas, it is common to see around 5-10 people sitting in wheelchairs. Each chaired passenger typically has between 1 to 3 travel companions. Of course, all these people receive priority boarding.

Plus, Southwest Airlines has an open seat policy, so these people and their travel companions get first pick of seats. Ahead of the A-list passengers, and ahead of those that spent $12.50 (up from $10) for early-bird seating.

Upon landing in Las Vegas, the jet way is lined with the appropriate number of wheelchairs to assist the disabled passengers off the aircraft. Sadly, few (or none) of these chairs are needed. The "disabled passengers" spring from their seats, grab their carry-on and dash up the jetway to start their Vegas vacation. Were they miraculously cured during the flight? Not likely.

No proof of any disability is needed to get a wheelchair and priority boarding status. All you have to do is ask. And you and your travel companions are moved to the front.

I spoke to Southwest customer service this afternoon. They are well aware of the problem, but are not making any effort to fix it.

Is this fixable? Any ideas? The Americans with Disabilities Act is a major obstacle.

At minimum, the airline should closely scrutinize the companions of the "disabled" traveler. Unless they are minor children or elderly, why the hell should they receive VIP treatment?

Note- I hope it's clear I'm not being insensitive to the needs of those truly disabled or in need of assistance. This is about the lowlifes that take advantage of the airlines liberal policy of offering special treatment to anyone that asks for a wheelchair whether they need one or not.
May 15th, 2013 at 9:59:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Heh, saw this story today:

Quote:
According to a report in the New York Post, wealthy Manhattan moms are hiring disabled tour guides at Walt Disney World so their children don't have to wait in line.

The report says the disabled guides, referred to as "black-market Disney guides," pose as family members so the children can skip to the front of the line. The guides charge $130 an hour.

http://boston.com/community/moms/blogs/parent_buzz/2013/05/report_wealthy_moms_hiring_handicapped_tour_guides_at_disney_world.html

While they're not completely freeloading like these airport people, Disney does offer VIP tour guides that afford the same luxury type service -- but it's more expensive than 130 an hour.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 16th, 2013 at 2:34:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Hippie chicks used to rent themselves out to motorists who needed to qualify for the San Francisco inbound car pool lane.

I had no idea "handicapped' Disney goers made so much money.

Same thing at buffets in Vegas, one handicapped person in your party and they all go to the head of the line.

I long for the day the airline boarding agent announces: Will the lame, halt and blind and those traveling with sniveling little brats please move aside and let decent people through.
May 16th, 2013 at 3:12:16 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
You can't shame people with no shame.
May 16th, 2013 at 3:43:32 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: MakingBook

Note- I hope it's clear I'm not being insensitive to the needs of those truly disabled or in need of assistance. This is about the lowlifes that take advantage of the airlines liberal policy of offering special treatment to anyone that asks for a wheelchair whether they need one or not.

It is just an extension of the rest of the disability society the USA has become. This nation gives special treatment to people with problems, so you get more and more people who find a condition to "suffer" from. The number of people on disability payments is at an all-time high.

Most of us have known someone who "liked" to travel to the store with a friend who had the disabled placard for their car to get good parking. This is merely the next step.

OTOH I remember reading that Spirit (IIRC) Airlines had a policy where everybody had to pay a "wheelchair fee" as a line-item on the ticket because they could not or would not charge for one individually. My answer was on random flights every passenger should have requested one to get them to stop that nonsense. I see no reason why you should not be able to charge someone for renting a wheelchair if they request it, and if the ADA is the issue then the ADA needs to be amended.
The President is a fink.
May 16th, 2013 at 7:01:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm also suspicious when Southwest allows pre-boarding for families with small children, and you see 10 adults for every one kid invoke the opportunity. I tend to think a lot of single adults are trying to ride the coattails of families with kids, as if they were part of the family.

At Vegas buffets there is usually a handicapped line and I see a lot of people using it that don't look handicapped. I've complained about it at the Suncoast and the manager said they are not allowed to ask for proof of being handicapped.

Regarding line-cutting privileges, at Magic Mountain $299 will buy a group a VIP guide. I applaud this idea.

Regarding the OP, I see it as just another form of time stealing that one sees all the time. A while back I posted about people who hold up the line getting off the plane to struggle getting large and heavy bags out of the overhead bin. If you can't get your act together quickly, let the people who can off the plane first.

Same thing with those holding up traffic in parking garages waiting for somebody to leave a space. If the space isn't empty NOW keep driving and let somebody else have it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 16th, 2013 at 7:32:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
NY Times article on wheelchair abuse does not discuss Vegas by itself, but it does say it is very heavy in Florida. I imagine that there are some people who are old and frail and may actually have trouble with standing in long lines, but are capable of walking at a slow pace. My father falls into this category.

The young and healthy are often big tippers as tipping someone an hour's wage goes a long way to helping people from making any outrageous gestures.

The airlines are not about to begin requiring proof of disability, and instead are reliant on the integrity of their passengers. Airlines could produce statistics if needed. People use wheelchairs to board jets where security lines are long and they are the first to board. The airline orders the same number of wheelchairs waiting at the destination, but many are unused as wheelchair users are the last to exit the jet. Just subtract out an appropriate percentage for miracle cures.