The City on Fire

July 24th, 2020 at 8:33:09 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I'm trying to think of the last time we had a strong federal force going into cities for any extended time.

If a weak force faces a strong force, the weak force doesn't necessarily give up and it's over. It could grind on for a long time. Endless strife into November won't be helpful.

Maybe 1992 isn't the last one, but the LA riots then come to mind.

There are many things in play. People are upset about the President's language. This is a continuing problem with the left. They confuse language they don't like with a position they cannot support in any way. Immigration is one example. They've abandoned their previous desire to control illegal immigration because Trump said something they didn't like and is stronger on the issue than they were, not because they really desire unfettered illegal immigration (or maybe...even worse...they really do want no borders...).

They don't like the term "dominate" or "law and order" and they rail against Trump for attempting to protect Federal property. The agents he is sending in are just like ones already on the ground all over the United States. They aren't "troops." Okay, I get it...that isn't what some people would like to see. There are others who don't like the idea, of course, but the loudest and, conversely most silent, are the Democrats.

Loudest in that their own folks--the Democrats running Portland--are openly allowing Federal buildings without defending them. Hence, the Federal folks must step in. We can't just let a small minority of people to commit daily crimes against OUR property. Would you accept in your home? They are totally abdicating their duties to protect ALL property and persons in their city.

Most silent in that other Democrats only talk about "Trump bad" and don't present any real ideas on how to quell the criminal actions and allow peaceful protest to continue.

If a strong force lets a weak force continue to do what it wants, it will become more emboldened. Those people in Portland have been emboldened by the lack of action by the people running Portland. The Federal agents have the right to arrest and prosecute anyone who commits a Federal crime.

It is trickier in the other cities, but there are crimes committed by gangs that violate Federal statutes. Perhaps helping cities by arresting them for those crimes can help.

All in all, I would rather see the cities and states handling their own bad apples. Their lack of desire or ability to do so leads us to either do something or let the criminals run amok.

It is a tough situation with no easy answers.
July 24th, 2020 at 9:27:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

It is a tough situation with no easy answers.

It is tough because this has been building for generations. Just like in 1861, the forces are generations old.

At the moment the ANTIFA and BLM movements are probably getting financial and logistical support from China, Russia, or some other enemy nation. China is probably having a good laugh at these Democrat mayors helping their cause. But what must still be realized, no matter if China, Russia. or someone else; these people hate the USA and life in it very deeply. This is not going to be fixed for a generation.
The President is a fink.
July 25th, 2020 at 1:36:53 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
At her press conference yesterday, Kayleigh McEneny began showing footage of the Portland riots. FOX immediately cut the feed, saying "We Don't think our viewers want to see that."

This is Portland, where the dem Mayor has ordered the police to stand down.

From 'The PT News Network' on Youtube.

July 25th, 2020 at 1:58:56 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Tanko
At her press conference yesterday, Kayleigh McEneny began showing footage of the Portland riots. FOX immediately cut the feed, saying "We Don't think our viewers want to see that."

I'm not following these protests so I don't know why the mayor won't send in the police?
My sister retired from that courthouse about 3 years ago, I'm so glad she doesn't have to pass through these belligerents.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 25th, 2020 at 3:08:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I'm not following these protests so I don't know why the mayor won't send in the police?

Why is simple. BLM is telling her not to. That is her base.
The President is a fink.
July 25th, 2020 at 3:11:19 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: Tanko

From 'The PT News Network' on Youtube.

To be fair, I think they cut away due to the foul language displayed on the side. I immediately emailed them, as I am sure many others did also. The language was obscene but it added to the point of the video--these people are not talking about "redistributing funds", "cutting funds", defunding the police", or anything peaceful like that...they want completely rid of the police and instead want anarchy to reign over our land so they can seize power.

They have the power in Portland. The feckless Mayor and the other extremely left wingers running the place have ceded control of the night to them and allowed them to usurp the peaceful protests by turning to violence and destruction each night. The Mayor lashes out at the President for people doing their job--protecting Federal property--like she is somehow in the right.

What do Democrats in the House do? They call for an investigation of the federal policing in Portland. It is tragic that a person appears to have been assaulted by the police and I understand investigating that incident (always should investigate those kind of things). The problem with the Democrats is that they are further emboldening the thugs because they are placing themselves squarely on the side of lawlessness. They have an oversight duty, but they can do it behind the scenes but they'd rather take a shot at Trump than anything else.

The lawless anarchists have been around a while. They probably always will be. The problem is when we allow them to stay on center stage with their antics instead of moving them along. There is a criminal gang openly attacking Portland each night. Seems like that is just fine with some.
July 28th, 2020 at 6:51:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Fascinating video of the protest
A white man using a hammer to bust out auto zone windows is confronted by protesters.
The reports are this is an undercover police officer

"Jake Peterson (others say Jacob Pederson) of the St. Paul PD is outed as the individual who smashed the windows at AutoZone."

I don't see where you get white man out of the guy with the umbrella, gloves, full mask and covered head to toe? Or, anything fascinating about it?

I don't know what's going on, but whoever it was obviously wanted to remain unidentified and had an agenda.

So far unproven
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/officer-jacob-pederson-protests/

Umbrella man outed
White supremacist

Police Say The "Umbrella Man" At The George Floyd Protests Was A White Supremacist Trying To Incite Violence
Minneapolis investigators said the man is a member of the Hells Angels biker gang who started violence at what had been a peaceful protest.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/olivianiland/minneapolis-umbrella-man-identified?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 29th, 2020 at 3:10:44 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Fascinating video of the protest
A white man using a hammer to bust out auto zone windows is confronted by protesters.
The reports are this is an undercover police officer

"Jake Peterson (others say Jacob Pederson) of the St. Paul PD is outed as the individual who smashed the windows at AutoZone."

I don't see where you get white man out of the guy with the umbrella, gloves, full mask and covered head to toe? Or, anything fascinating about it?

I don't know what's going on, but whoever it was obviously wanted to remain unidentified and had an agenda.

So far unproven
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/officer-jacob-pederson-protests/

Umbrella man outed
White supremacist

Police Say The "Umbrella Man" At The George Floyd Protests Was A White Supremacist Trying To Incite Violence
Minneapolis investigators said the man is a member of the Hells Angels biker gang who started violence at what had been a peaceful protest.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/olivianiland/minneapolis-umbrella-man-identified?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

'Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling ‘Umbrella man,’ the protests had been relatively peaceful'

Revisionist history already?
July 29th, 2020 at 5:03:43 AM permalink
RonC
Umbrella man outed
White supremacist

This is why they need to aggressively (not with undue force, just consistently) arrest everyone committing crimes that harm persons or property during the "peaceful protests" or whatever they are. Portland is screwing up royally by not being aggressive enough and just letting the criminals among the protesters have their way. Nancy Pelosi's little comment that people will do what they do is a bow to allowing crime instead of her insisting agencies and governments doing their jobs.

Lock them up, find out what affiliations they may have with criminal organizations, and move them through the system. I am not at all shocked at an outside agitator coming in to mess with things; I think that was predicted in the beginning of the protests and it was not reserved for just one side. There are idiots on the fringes of both the left and right...deal with them for what they are.

Sadly, some peaceful protesters will get to take in some gas if they stay in the mob where the criminals congregate. Perhaps they should think of how to keep their part of the protest peaceful and on point. Burning a building or hurting people doesn't do any honor to whatever they are for.... The actions they sometimes take--staying mixed in with crowds where people are getting violent--put them in a bad spot.

They can make rules that limit the way the police can handle folks; it is sad these leaders won't take the actions necessary to hinder criminals.
August 5th, 2020 at 8:24:32 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
George Floyd body cam footage leaked.

Here is a link to the raw footage:
https://youtu.be/QnLnR0XtLIM

Don't watch it being reviewed on the news or on Youtube, they only clip to certain parts depending on their narrative. Its not great quality, but it is what it is.

I have refined my view. I don’t think the Officer will be found guilty of murder (I am not going to get back into if he *should* be found guilty or not).

Between this, and the ME report that he had coronavirus, some other medical issues and drugs in his system (including Marijuana). You can tell on this video he is totally blitzed... He was saying "I can't breath from the start...." Most likley his struggle to breathe was due to a combination of COVID-19 and drugs.... The cause of death does not seem to be the choking....