The City on Fire

June 25th, 2020 at 1:20:19 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I would like to see someone with the wherewithal buy up all these statues for pennies and put them on a fifty acre or so site, then start charging people to visit the statue park.

Much of the funding for Sewards statue in Juneau Ak. came from private donors, [around 250K in 2017] https://www.juneauempire.com/news/polarizing-petition-hundreds-call-for-statues-removal/ and now a group of protesters want it removed.

Seward is the Secretary of state who got congress to purchase Alaska from Russia for 7 million dollars, .02 per acre.

"She acknowledged Seward’s role as an abolitionist in the Lincoln administration and aid to Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. However, she does take issue with what the statue of Seward represents.

“My issue isn’t really with Seward the person, I don’t think that relates to the issue here,” LaRoe said, noting the statue showed Seward holding the 1867 Treaty of Cession which authorized the sale of Alaska from the Russian Empire."

Seward was an abolitionist and by purchasing Alaska from Russia, we saved them from Russian domination. "Seward was the man who put the Emancipation Proclamation into legislation, his home was the last stop on the Underground Railroad.”

The woman who is spearheading the statues removal complains that, "LaRoe said she questioned why the statue was even erected in the first place as it reflected not only the disenfranchisement of Alaska Natives but was yet another symbol of white, patriarchal authority."

Sewards day in Alaska is a state holiday, with schools along with state and municipal offices.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 25th, 2020 at 2:10:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I would like to see someone with the wherewithal buy up all these statues for pennies and put them on a fifty acre or so site, then start charging people to visit the statue park.

Meanwhile I'd like to see people act like grownups and just ignore them if they do not like them. Crazy no pol will say that.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2020 at 2:41:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
Meanwhile I'd like to see people act like grownups and just ignore them if they do not like them. Crazy no pol will say that.
Yeah, that to. I like visiting parks and enjoy the statues. I don't believe destroying these works of art is doing for them, what they think.
June 25th, 2020 at 2:42:43 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Look at Trump making that illegal
to deface or tear them down. Jail
time and a $10K fine.

"There are changes happening..."

Smoke and mirrors to make the
dullards happy. Shiny objects
to distract them while they find
something else to throw a
temper tantrum over.

That only applies to Federal Land.

Trump cannot stop City or State owned statues being pulled down or require enforcement against vandals. It is all local government...
June 25th, 2020 at 2:52:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler

Trump cannot stop City or State owned statues being pulled down or require enforcement against vandals. It is all local government...

Reality is pull a few MLK statues down and see the local mayors, etc take it serious.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2020 at 3:07:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Reality is pull a few MLK statues down and see the local mayors, etc take it serious.

No. That will give BLM even more ammunition.

Nobody touches any monument period. If a government wants it pulled down, it must go through the proper channels and reviews.
June 25th, 2020 at 3:12:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
No. That will give BLM even more ammunition.

Nobody touches any monument period. If a government wants it pulled down, it must go through the proper channels and reviews.

BLM does not wait for ammunition. It is a fact of life that liberals will not act unless something they care about is being destroyed. I agree "nobody touches any monument" but what you need to understand is this is a funded and organized thing. Could be China for all we know is behind it. But it is not random.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2020 at 3:20:25 PM permalink
petroglyph

"U.S. President Donald Trump recently announced that the American government would designate Antifa — a militant "anti-fascist" movement — as a terrorist organization due to the violence that erupted at George Floyd protests across the United States.

The Code of Federal Regulations (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85) defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
June 25th, 2020 at 3:21:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
How big of losers are these lefties?

Minneapolis neighborhood that vowed not to call police in wake of Floyd death is already being tested by 300-strong homeless encampment

Quote: article
Another resident, Mitchell Erickson, said he regretted calling 911 when two black teenagers cornered him a block away from his home, held a gun to his chest and demanded his car keys. Erickson said he mistakenly handed over his house keys, and the frustrated teens left him only to steal another car a few blocks away.

“Been thinking more about it,” Erickson said in a text message to a reporter. “I regret calling the police. It was my instinct but I wish it hadn’t been. I put those boys in danger of death by calling the cops.”

“Yeah I know and yeah it was scary but the cops didn’t really have much to add after I called them,” he continued. “I haven’t been forced to think like this before. So I would have lost my car. So what? At least no one would have been killed.”

Is it just me, is that as big of a loser you can imaging? He would probably have given them money to buy gas and apologized because the tank was empty.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2020 at 3:23:55 PM permalink
Gandler
BLM does not wait for ammunition. It is a fact of life that liberals will not act unless something they care about is being destroyed. I agree "nobody touches any monument" but what you need to understand is this is a funded and organized thing. Could be China for all we know is behind it. But it is not random.

I agree, I have been saying this for a while. Its most likley a hodgepodge of funding (Marxis groups, Russia, Islamist, China) , they have nothing in common other than other than a goal of making America as chaotic as possible.

I was reading something (I forget the source) that Marxist revolutionaries always try to rile up thugs for their goals because they are good to cause mayhem in the streets, but once they take power they are quickly eliminated. (This trend can also be seen in Islamic revolutions). Revolutionaries use street thugs for riots, but realize they are not useful for governing once they are actually in power....

Nobody cares about the people rioting in the street, they are being used as a tool for chaos... Its kind of ironic...