Are Cops the Only Racists Left? ... In Polite Society, That Is

Page 2 of 5<12345>
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:17:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Good article in the Wall Street Journal, behind a paywall alas, but if you can access it, an eye opening article by Heather MacDonald

Includes this gem,

"a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer " [edit: removed emphasis] I think you have to put yourself in their shoes, the cops, to get some answers about why things are the way they are.

And this war on cops has large elements of suspect political agenda, if you ask me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883?mod=opinion_lead_pos5
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:24:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
Good article in the Wall Street Journal, behind a paywall alas, but if you can access it, an eye opening article by Heather MacDonald

Includes this gem,

"a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer " Emphasis mine, to point out the dubious nature of some of the narrative out there we hear. I think you have to put yourself in their shoes, the cops, to get some answers about why things are the way they are.

And this war on cops has large elements of suspect political agenda, if you ask me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

This is very true. The antifa crowd will never acknowledge this stat...
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:55:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Includes this gem,

"a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer " Emphasis mine, to point out the dubious nature of some of the narrative out there we hear. I think you have to put yourself in their shoes, the cops, to get some answers about why things are the way they are.

I personally know a cop that got away with murder. Officer Victor Reimer. Knew him personally.
It shouldn't be that way.
Howard County refused to investigate a death because that office would become a suspect
That's reality in our country. Police are allowed to commit murder
Good cops let bad cops get away with murder. That makes good cops bad cops
Cop killers get prosecuted
Cops that kill are allowed to kill. No prosecution (except in very rare cases)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:03:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: terapined
I personally know a cop that got away with murder. Officer Victor Reimer. Knew him personally.
Howard County refused to investigate a death because that office would become a suspect
If it is such an open and shut case, you can contact the Attorney General of your state and tell him what you know. I believe that is Maryland? That A.G probably would really like to get going on this if this isn't just hearsay. Cough. BTW no statute of limitations on murder
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:05:15 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

Includes this gem,

I personally know a cop that got away with murder. Officer Victor Reimer.

Does that somehow make killing cops okay in your world?

I wonder how many incidents Reimer had before the one that you are speaking of happened. I do not remember it specifically, though I lived near there during the 90's. Anyway, he was involved in an incident earlier in 1990 that the county settled for millions of dollars. How many other incidents was he involved with?

The cop in question in Minnesota had a long record of abuse. One of the others with him (at least) had some stuff in his file.

Cop unions need to be forced to allow bad cops to be fired, much like teacher's unions need to be forced to allow bad teachers to be fired.

Cops need to be held to a high standard.

None of those things make the statistics in the WSJ less relevant. We need to stop cops from being killed and unjustified killings by cops.

Cops have been killed in this riot. That does not honor the victim at all.
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:05:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
found this, Reimer was in hot water but the family settled for cash.

Well?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-08-01-1994213063-story.html
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:07:57 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

This article speaks more to his earlier brutality case than the hanging incident.
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:20:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
found this, Reimer was in hot water but the family settled for cash.

Well?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-08-01-1994213063-story.html

Victor still got away with murder
The kid was pressing charges against Victor Reimer
Victor was the dumbest kid in the neighborhood. Should have never been a cop.
A person pressing charges against Victor is later found dead and Howard Country Police refused to investigate
Officer Victor Reimer is a murderer and he got away with it. Makes me sick. One of the reasons I left Columbia MD
My fathers suicide was legit and obvious yet the Howard County police investigated his death. Howard County Police refused to let me and my mother see the suicide notes till the investigation was completed.
The Bowie twin pressing charges against Victor and found dead hanging from a baseball backstop. Howard County Police declared suicide and refused to investigate. The person charged with deciding if the case should be investigated was Victor's buddy.

https://www.amazon.com/Losing-Jon-Cover-Up-Communitys-Justice/dp/080654046X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=losing+jon&qid=1591190405&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMFNLNU5ENkFXNFdFJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDMyMjY3MUFISkdWU01IT0RPSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk3NzE2M0xGOVBZNDROMk1ZWSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:32:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: RonC
This article speaks more to his earlier brutality case than the hanging incident.
thanks

Howard County Police declared suicide and refused to investigate.
The Feds got involved with the brutality case, why not here? Or did they?

The book just got published; I used to live in Prince George's county [yep!] and I think I 'll buy this book.
June 3rd, 2020 at 9:14:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Victor was the dumbest kid in the neighborhood. Should have never been a cop.
Generally, police are not drawn from the better strata of society. OK, the problem with generalizations is that they sound like universal statements, and as a universal statement, it, like most, doesn't hold up. But still, it's part of the problem expecting better of the police.

If you had a job like me where you took credit applications from the general public, you soon found out that bus drivers and cops generally [that word again] had bad credit. That was surprising to me since I thought of them as having steady jobs, yet it was very prevalent, long time on the job notwithstanding. I think this was my first insight into such things; this thing of drawing from a less than ideal strata is not something that's not talked about much
Page 2 of 5<12345>