Racin' With Face

Page 2 of 72<12345>Last »
May 27th, 2013 at 5:05:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 111
160hp base --BUT with the supercharger, around 200 on the dyno. The SiR may be the Japanese version, but I'd have to look it up to be sure. America and Japan sometimes had different models. The three American model del sols were: S, Si, AND VTEC (104?, 130 and 160).

The Type R. Acura was 1.8 at that time with 190 base I believe. That was one I coveted later, but didn't buy. Guys with other del sols (use to hang out on a BB after buying it) did everything from dropping in 1.8, or 2.0 CRV engine, to turbos.

In fact, here's the guy who ran the BB. That page list all his mods. He put in a 1.8, thus all the horsepower. with mods.

His new car is here. Looks like.

Quote:
assuming you must have drove it pre-supercharger) and how you liked it…

If you kept it in 5000- 7200 rpm, you made power all the time. Otherwise, it was economy car driving. Very reliable, but I wasn't driving it on a track so hard use was intermittent.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
May 27th, 2013 at 6:56:57 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
First – BB? What’s that?

I know what you mean about the 1.8s to 2.0s. That was the first thing I thought of when dreaming of entering the 4banger class; wedge a 190hp DOHC 1.8 into a CRX and tear things up. But they have a pesky “stock for make and model” rule, which completely eliminated that option. That plus the “No DOHC” rule has me back to looking for a D block Civic or CRX.

Dude in that link went to town. When you resort to dropping grams or ounces at a time, you know you’re serious about power to weight lol.

Quote: rxwine
If you kept it in 5000- 7200 rpm, you made power all the time. Otherwise, it was economy car driving. Very reliable, but I wasn't driving it on a track so hard use was intermittent.

That power band is my worry. With such severe banking, you don’t have to slow for corners a ton, but you still have to slow. I’m worried about dropping to “econo-box mode” and bogging out of the corners. That’s kind of why I was hoping to get into the ECU and fiddle with things a bit. Remove the rev chip and just bounce the valves out of the thing at 9,500rpm in 2nd gear the whole way around lol =D

I’m guessing that as far as racing goes, I shouldn’t have many reliability issues. First, being bone stock, I’ll avoid all the cooling issues and general “finickiness” that adding mods usually brings. Plus, with few exceptions, most of the races involve 10-15 lap heats with a 30 lap feature. At 3/8 miles, it’s not a torture test. The 100-150 lap enduros might be, but we’ll see what we see when we get there. A used 1.6 D block is only ~$900, so it won’t be the end of the world if it blows.

But again, my history with these things puts the power plant far down my list of worries. I had an ’83 CB900F, my first road bike. Pops bought it new, rode it for a decade, then let it sit for 10 years. 10 years without running, all the gas and oil and coolant left in it the whole time. I pulled it out of the shed, changed the fluids, gave it a charge, and it fired right up. I beat the hell out of that thing for two more years and it never quit, all the way up until I sold it. Same for my Subaru (the car that I jumped another car with). I beat that thing as hard as one could beat a machine. Burned the clutch out of it, got the headers red hot more times than I can count, boiled the brakes right off it. Changed the oil maybe once every 20k miles. I’d let it cool off after a thrashing, and it was back running better than before I beat it. That thing was a raped ape right up until I wrapped it around a telephone pole. Jap toys, man. You can't beat 'em =D

As far as reliability goes, I’m just worried about hitting stuff and knocking the toe out, or bending all the wee suspension bits. They’re good going up and down, but they don’t seem to stand up to lateral forces very well at all. But hey, at least all that stuff is cheap =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 30th, 2013 at 2:38:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 105
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2013 at 6:18:13 PM permalink
rxwine
I didn't have anything as powerful. This was my bike. (or year and pic anyway 1981 Susuki GS450)

I think it was one of the earlier versions of that kind of sport fairing. Who knows where that bike is now. That could even be it, for all I know.

May 30th, 2013 at 6:22:42 PM permalink
rxwine
The funny thing is, when I bought that bike I didn't even know how to ride a motorcycle. I rode it home (I read up on how to shift). Holy crap, I was so glad when I finally got home; that was a scary ride and I killed the engine a couple times, and also almost threw myself off grabbing the brake.
May 30th, 2013 at 6:31:48 PM permalink
rxwine
This is my current put put bike. (or exactly like it) It is a 350, so not a total runt scooter. Vespa heritage but branded Piaggio

It does what I need it to do. Fast enough for the interstate, but feels kinda tiny. I've ridden it steady at 70-77mph for a couple hours on the highway. But mostly for around town.

May 30th, 2013 at 6:51:35 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
/gasp! ZOMG!

Yup, there she is, although mine was black and red, exactly like this...

From the ages of 3 to about 6, I used to ride in front of Pops. I'd almost always be lulled to sleep by the 4banger and whine of the tranny and be splayed out over the gas tank fast asleep. 'Course, that was back in the '80s, when the American people were still free =p I wonder how long I'd be in jail if I did that with my son today?

Once it was pulled out of the shed and ran, Pops cruised it around town for a little bit. I was probably 18-19 at the time, and every now and again I'd steal it. I'd take a screwdriver and scribe little marks in the concrete floor of the garage so I could put it back "just so", and I'd go cruise the town. What a rush. Being so old, one of those joyrides wound up with the front brakes seizing. I felt them start to stick, so I barreled to a friends house, dumping it in the yard when I hit the grass and the front locked. I had to bleed all the brake fluid out to get them to release, ran straight home with just rears, and put it away. Of course, when Pops asked... "Huh? Brakes? I ain't touched it. Must just be old" =D

This friggin' thing... this was my first bike! A 500+lb, 900cc, four banging rocket lol. 20 years of great memories, here. Damn me for selling it...
June 1st, 2013 at 5:30:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 105
My brother had an 83 Honda 600 one lunger. It was super
fast on the low end. His front brake froze up and launched
him thru the air at 30 mph. On the way to the hospital
he said no more bikes. Of course that was 4 bikes ago and
now he a fully dressed Harley police special.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2013 at 6:02:24 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Yeah, thumpers got some grunt for sure.

I was rear ended on that Honda by my buddy on an enduro (one of those half street / half trail deals) He broke his left foot and right knee. I didn’t even fall down; the bike just sort of came out from under me and tipped over. I was just left standing in the road fine as could be.

The only other wreck I had was doing stoppies. I tipped over forward at 0mph, it cost me almost $2k in repairs.

Through all the close calls where an inch meant life or death, I never slowed down, never calmed the nonsense. I’d just stop for 5 minutes or so until the urge to throw up passed, and we were right back at it doing 120mph wheelies for a mile+ or racing around at 140-150-160.

One day, like a light switch, I just got scared. Even just cruising around town at 40 I had a nagging sense of impending doom. It was the weirdest thing. I’d think nothing of doing 100 in a wheelie, weaving around and passing traffic on one wheel, then suddenly, I couldn’t cruise through town at 35 without nearly seizing up. Sold that bike and never looked back. I took Pop’s Goldwing out one time last year and I hated it. Of course going from a 600cc, 350lb rocket to an 1,800cc, 1,000lb behemoth was uncomfortable enough, but everything just felt wrong.

Despite all the memories of all the wild times, I have zero desire to ever get on a bike again. Motocross is one thing, but the roads are just too treacherous. Maybe I’m just getting old…
June 1st, 2013 at 11:08:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
..and on the racing front...

I've found a car. I'm about 4 days and an acceptable test drive away from having it. Strangely, it just sort of appeared, right in town not 5 minutes away. Just *poof*, there it is. (or is that "whoomp, there it is"? lol =p)

I've talked to the guy and it almost seems too perfect, perfect enough it has me a little on edge. It's a '92 Civic Si, which is the hot hatch. It only comes with the 1.6 D block SOHC VTEC. Check. Only comes in 5 speed manual. Check. It has less than 200k miles on it (he reckons about 180k as the odometer broke). Pfft, that's middle age for a Honda. Check. It has a laundry list of things wrong with it, yet every single one of them are things that completely ruin it as far as a valuable A-to-B-er (sunroof leaks like a sieve, gauges are bunk, body is either severely sun damaged or had a terrible respray, has typical "NY rot" and is all banged up), but all the stuff I need (brakes, engine, clutch, tranny) are good to go.

^ Stock photo. Mine's in much rougher shape.

I'm taking a day or three to sleep on it, perhaps risking it gets taken out from under me, but I want to make sure I'm not being too hasty. But I have to say, I'm having some good feelings about it.

And just as good news, the finances are looking much better. After adding several nitpicky things that I hadn't though of originally, my new "official" race budget was $13,6XX. By shopping like mad and following some leads, I've found incredible savings. I budgeted $5k for the car, the one I found is $700. I budgeted $5k for a hauler, I found one brand new for $2,100. Ash's father has volunteered to do the cage completely free. Fire suit, window net, racing seat and harness, I've tracked it all down at 50% savings. My new adjusted budget comes in at a very pleasant $5,0XX.

Things are starting to look pretty good =)
Page 2 of 72<12345>Last »