Racin' With Face

Page 3 of 75<123456>Last »
June 8th, 2013 at 11:08:14 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
So irritating...

I chased that guy for almost two weeks, just to have him say, right at the end, "I've decided not to sell it".

YTF put it up for sale and string me along for 10 days straight then? lol

Good thing I'm not in a hurry. Already looking at about 10 others, and while they're more expensive, I've spent the meantime finding huge deals on just about every single thing else I'll need. Irritating, but definitely not a dream killer.

Been checking out a lot of in-car here and there. Funny thing is, not only was I wrong about the del Sol not being allowed, but I keep seeing the same little blue booger shooting to the front in all these vids. Thought maybe rx would get a kick of nostalgia out of it (@ 0:48)...

Can't wait!

I also found some TQ Midjet footage. Wow, those things are insane. They're basically three wheelers coming out of the corners, and when things go wrong, you have a blink to decide what to do and to do it.

These things are 110-120mph easy on even these short straights. I saw a frightening crash last year; guy got his wheels hooked and flipped it mid corner. While these things stop on a dime with their giant, sticky tires, sliding on the hard metal bars of the roll cage doesn't even slow them. He hit top first into the wall. Didn't slide, didn't tumble, just BAM! 70-80mph to 0 instantly. They rolled it over and he was completely lifeless inside, scary stuff. Fortunately he came to with a few minutes and walked out of the car.

See @2:20 for the start, and about 3:20 for how quick you have to react when things go wrong. These things are bat-shit...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 1st, 2013 at 4:00:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Milestone - The first dollars have been spent. And what a faff...

I spent no less than 5 total hours researching compressors to ensure I got what I needed. I needed something with the grunt to operate an impact wrench, the endurance to run a ratchet, and the finesse and capacity to sand and spray. After determining I needed a 155 PSI 60gal unit, I set about deal hunting and reading hundreds of reviews. In the end, my $800 budgeted compressor was found at Home Depot for $489.95 =D

Home Depot is no Lowes. While the customer service was ever present, they were of very little technical help. According to one guy, I needed only plug it in, stuff a hose in it, and I was good to go. 2 HOURS LATER, relying only on my own supposition and intuition, I realized and had to purchase 12-2 line to hard wire 240v into my house, 2 - 20a fuses so I didn't burn the house down, an adapter to take the 3/8" outlet down to my 1/4" hose and tools, a regulator so I didn't blow the guts out of my tools, thread tape so it didn't leak, concrete anchors so it didn't walk across my garage... anyone with half competency could've gotten me out of the store in 30 minutes. At least I done figgered it all out by me onesies (and added $100 in hidden costs for all the little things =/)

So I got it home and managed to get every single little thing I needed to make loud air. Jonny L agreed to help me out and on my schedule, so he was in my garage at 11:45p. After a bitch of a time with defective anchors, we finally called it quits on our 30min job at 3:30a with nothing more completed than putting 4 holes in the floor.

I acquired new anchors the next morning, and they worked no better (my fault, I got fine thread lags when I needed coarse). I decided to leave it to the gods and went to get drunk with the boys from the Beaver Club as the Fed had returned home for his daughters graduation. Several beers in and after texting Jonny L my woes, he texted back wondering where I was. He was at the house. D'oh! He asked if I cared, and I said have at it. A beer or three later, guilt overrode me and I left the party, not wanting to leave it all for him to do. By the time I arrived, he was sitting on my porch smoking a cig; the job was already complete.

I wish that was the end, but no. I ran it for 20 minutes to break it in then set about getting everything connected. Sure enough, I had to try four times to stop the leaks as I was a little stingy with the thread tape. Then the adapter simply broke in half for no reason other than I apparently hadn't spent enough time on this project already. Back to the store, then to home, and I eventually got it all sorted and set up. Used it already to address my rotting bumper, and had Ash practicing quick tire removal on my truck to train for pit crew action. Good times =)

The party with the Beav yielded another treasure, as the Sheriff just so happened to have a buddy that was offloading a car trailer. Everything I wanted and need for $1,000 even. Things are starting to come together.

I even have a lead on another car! 7 days should tell the tale on that piece of the puzzle.

It's starting to feel a lot more real.

ID: Original: Adjusted: Actual:
Compressor and Tools $1,000 $850 $590
Total $1,000 $850 $590
July 6th, 2013 at 6:31:51 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Got a big wake up call last night...

I rounded up the fam and we headed for the local demo. I figured the kids, who aren't quite fully into racing yet, would get a bunch of kicks out of watching cars just smash the hell out of each other. And I was right, they just loved it.

But at one point, after taking a hellacious hit, one of the cars took just a bump and erupted in flames. Not a flash, not even a fire, I'm talking a full on conflagration. There was no warning, no buildup. Instantly, with a guttural "WOOF!", the entire thing was a fireball; road to roof, door to door, trunk to windshield.

I just stared in shock; he's not on fire, is he? And that was the first time I saw a man, truly, in full on panic. I saw the man's silhouette against a wall of flames, thinking the fire was just behind him. Not until he was partially obscured by fire did I realize he was in it. For whatever reason, panic, probably, he instantly ripped off his helmet as he thrashed about. He tried vaulting through the windshield, but was still caught in his belts. I saw him lunge about 3 times, each time being held back by some sort of restraint...or something. I heard Ash yelling "omgomgomgomg" over and over; it seemed like an eternity. Finally, he launched himself through the windshield and out of the car just as the fire brigade finally arrived, to the roar of the crowd. The guy, obviously completely jacked on adrenaline, raised his arms in triumph and cheer before being led away to the meat wagon to address his boiled neck.

And that was it. These guys don't wear jack for safety, pretty much just a T-shirt and jeans. I saw him later throughout the night, none the worse for wear save an ice pack on the back of the neck, but man, it made me think. They just wear the standard seatbelt. What if that was me all hunkered down in a 5pt harness, and the only way out is to unharness, drop the locked window net, and crawl through a roll cage and out the window. Man...I had chills then, and I have them now. I think I'm getting old...

I guess that's racing.

Too late to turn back now. I made another big key purchase, leaving only the car to go. It's inspected, registered... I just need to replace the tongue and I'm set on transport.

Trailer $5,000 $2,100 $1,000
Total $6,000 $2,950 $1,590
July 6th, 2013 at 8:30:55 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: Face
And that was the first time I saw a man, truly, in full on panic.

Jesus Harvey Christ. It's a good thing I'm not a superstitious man who believes in "signs"...

The ROC Modifieds came to Holland, and though I thought my boy would be motorsports'ed out, he was rarin' to go. So after a run for fishing gear, we popped across town to take in some more short track action.

The ROC's took the stage, put on an epic 100 lap battle, and as 3rd and 4th came to the checkers, they touched. Still battling, they really leaned on each other, and that's when all hell broke loose.

One got wonky and in saving his slide, gave the other a pretty good shunt. They both sort of rebounded only semi in control and came together again. The angle was now such that those big, open slicks tangled and one car's nose was ripped off the ground and sent skyward. Slow motion, it rose as the back caught up, striking the rear of the planted car and sending it sideways towards the car lifting off. This really drove the wheel into the other as it rose, and the car just kept on rising, completely cleared for lift off. Just about the time it would've come fully off the ground and therefore off the other car and begin dropping again, it struck the wall and fence, which sent it straight into the air. Mind racing at the speed of light, I see every detail of this happening, and just about the time I think "...just like Daytona..." the airborne car smashed the retaining fence and then the flag stand where the flag man is poised and waving the checkered.

The stand goes up in a shower of sparks, splintered wood, dust and chunks of the concrete wall. There is an audible gasp as a thousand people all cringe simultaneously. And as the passing cars whiff away the smoke, the flagman can be seen, one leg and arm caught in the rubble and all the rest of him dangling in open space. For the second time in two days, I saw a man panic as both he and the other guy in the stand desperately try to keep him from falling into the midst of the 20 remaining cars that are hauling ass 100mph just feet under him, hell for leather to the checkered flag...

It was the second most fucked up thing I've ever seen there. I have no idea how he even survived (which he did; he remained alert through the whole ordeal and was reported to just have been "cut up"). You must understand that the stand, at least the part of it that's used for signaling the field, is entirely inside the fence and within the track. The stand was completely gone at least a foot outside of the fence, and this happened in an instant. I still can't figure out how he wasn't lopped clean off the stand by the car and sent into the traffic below, or at least how he didn't take the full brunt of 2,500lbs at 100mph right to the torso.

Christ all Friday. Unreal, man. While the track officials demanded all video to cease under the threat of confiscation, said warning was laughed off. I'll keep eyes open and see if any updates or footage come through. I need someone to see this and explain to me how this guy walked away...
July 21st, 2013 at 12:14:27 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
No updates as Ash recovers, but saw this clip that stimulates the imagination. Truck's engine goes up and it sends out smoke ring fireballs. I just found it incredibly beautiful.

July 29th, 2013 at 5:43:28 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Whelp, no luck on finding any info on that wreck. It seemed to bet kept very, VERY quiet. Nothing more than a "this happened and we're fixing it". I guess no news is good news...

On the racing front, we're moving right along. I'm having a hell of a time finding a car, as the five I've tracked down got sold out from under me. I'm not despairing yet, though. I've got plenty of time as of now and plenty of things to do otherwise.

I got my trailer's bunk surge brake tongue all cut off and ground down, and a proper tongue ready to put on. Did a damn fine job, too, if I do say so myself. Not only that, but we made another key purchase - the welder.

Nice Lincoln 220v stick welder. I got it all wired by myself, AND wired a 220v outlet into the house, AND wired a 220v plug into my air compressor since it was hard wired, AND I didn't kill myself doing it! Huzzah!

As if that weren't enough, we're absolutely killing the budget, and this doesn't even figure sponsor money yet. Could it be cheaper to get into racing that it was to get into hockey? Or even golf? We shall see...

Welder $800 $800 $300
Total $6,800 $3,750 $1,890
September 11th, 2013 at 4:17:55 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Well, well, well...

After 14 cars came and 14 cars went, I found a CRX, the car I really wanted, just the next town over. I went and checked it out, and not only was it nearly perfect (a complete hack job that was worthless for the road, but solid for the track), the guy who sold it was an old Honda nut. He was just some dude in the woods, about 50 years old going on 15, and after some haggling, I think I may have found a one stop Honda shop. He had the hookup on wheels, spare parts, body panels... the dude is even a fan of Hondas and Holland and half offered to help work on the car! He welds, he hoards... those 14 misses led me to the promised land. And after we wheeled and dealed, I went home with my CRX for just seven hundred dollars

Ash and I spent all today stripping it out. Almost the entire interior sans the driver's seat and the carpet under it were gone in under 2 hours. The first big bitch we uncovered was it belonged to one of those dumb ass kids that like to put 40,000 watts of car-alarm-activating bass in the car, and as such, the entire thing, door to door and floor to roof, has been plastered with sound deadening rubber insulation. It's basically roofing tar covered in tinfoil, and it's a right pain in the ass to remove. Ash has no less than 20 cuts and slices on her hands, and all we've stripped was a door and a half. We still have the whole trunk, roof and floor to do ><

Be that as it may... it's happening. The Road to the Races has officially begun, the budget is solid as a rock... And I'm completely weirded out by it all XD

Welder $800 $800 $300
Car $5,000 $2,000 $700
Total $11,800 $5,750 $2,590
September 11th, 2013 at 8:11:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 117
$700, nice deal.

Quote:
The first big bitch we uncovered was it belonged to one of those dumb ass kids that like to put 40,000 watts of car-alarm-activating bass in the car,

Hah ha. you know, you face it towards the rear and generate 1hp increase! (or perhaps the cars behind you will vibrate apart before they can pass)
No one has ever proven I am not God.
September 12th, 2013 at 5:53:49 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Hah ha. you know, you face it towards the rear and generate 1hp increase! (or perhaps the cars behind you will vibrate apart before they can pass)

Oh, the system is gone (although it still had 4, 180W, 6" speakers left inside that I can probably flip). Even the radio was gone. It's just that every square inch of the interior, I mean all of it, is covered in that sticky rubber sound proofing shit. Based on how far we got yesterday, I'd estimate it's over 50 man-hours just to remove that, forget about all the other race-specific work that needs to be done.

I bet I could do all the body work to include grinding, filling, sanding, welding, painting, decals and clearcoat in less time than it'll take to peel out that mess. To give an example, Ash gutted the entire back end of all strips, panels, speakers, carpet, and roof liner, not mention removing the passenger seat and begining on the passenger side, and in that same time I only managed to peel half of the driver's door ><

It'll be, by far, the biggest part of this job. And it SUCKS! lol
September 14th, 2013 at 3:29:58 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Three days straight with no sign of slowing...

Strip, strip, and strip some more. I remember when the word "strip" filled my head with nothing but happiness. I suddenly has new, not as awesome connotations.

After chewing through yards of bondo, I got the entire body kit off. Fortunately, the metal is so rotten, many pieces can just be leaned on and they pull right off the car. Hit the rest with the hammer to knock the flaky remains off, and we got a lot done today.

Ash carried on with the Dynamat until her hands were literally shredded, while I went about pulling all the unnecessary garbage off the exterior - weather strips, light and signal harnesses, mud guards, rocker panels, lights... as far as stripping goes, all we have left is the Dynamat and the wires entombed underneath it. At this point, I'm ready to reinstall the stock body panels, bondo up the nasty bits, and get it sanded and ready for paint.

On one hand that makes me happy. On the other, I realize that leaves the Dynamat only thing left to do and I DON'T WANT TO! >< If anyone finds themselves in the Buffalo area and is looking for labor... I pay same-day cash =D

Estimated Fires Set 0 0 4

=D
Page 3 of 75<123456>Last »